Quantcast

Anyone else out there ever do anything this dumb in a race

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by JOJO

Loving it :) :) :) although I am ready to lighten it up a bit and upgrade some of the components....:)
Piece by piece, when you have money. That's the fun part - upgrades.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Oui! JoJo sorry to hear but thats why were beginners right ;)
things i have learned in my 12 races
1. know where the start is.
2. Know what time your start is.
3. know where the finish is.
* 4. Know where the course is. Getting lost does suck very much.
5. if you get lost try to do it with someone who speaks your language.

I got lost during a race i was runing a strong top 5 place then got off course .55 miles out .55 miles back.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!

I got last years Rocky Mountain Element Race. Awesome bike!!! Check out the specs here..... pretty accurate
Hmmmm, not sure how I thought you were on a Dakar. :think:
Anyhow, what are you thinking of upgrading first? Wheels?

Are you wanting to go to all XTR (or SRAM X.0) eventually?

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by KrusteeButt

Hmmmm, not sure how I thought you were on a Dakar. :think:

That was one bike that I was considering......

Anyhow, what are you thinking of upgrading first? Wheels?

Are you wanting to go to all XTR (or SRAM X.0) eventually?
well not completely sure.... I have my eyes on one sweeta** frame for next year if I can get the $$ together. If I decide to get that frame, which shall remain nameless..... I will probably get a combo of XTR and Sram X.0 components... oh and of course disc brakes....

now how to get that $$?????????

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!

well not completely sure.... I have my eyes on one sweeta** frame for next year if I can get the $$ together. If I decide to get that frame, which shall remain nameless..... I will probably get a combo of XTR and Sram X.0 components... oh and of course disc brakes....

now how to get that $$?????????
what?! A new frame? Are you not pleased with this one? I guess I figured when you were getting a new bike this season that it would at least last more than one season.

Originally posted by Squeak

Chris king hubs, mavic rims.
I have mixed feelings about CK hubs...that noise is really freakin' annoying! Yeah, I know, their awesome, bombproof, and engage faster than anything out there....
CLACKITYCLACKITYCLACKITYCLACKITYCLACKITYCLACKITY

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style

I have mixed feelings about CK hubs...that noise is really freakin' annoying! Yeah, I know, their awesome, bombproof, and engage faster than anything out there....
CLACKITYCLACKITYCLACKITYCLACKITYCLACKITYCLACKITYCLACKITY
Yea me too. Thats why I have XTR :)

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal

what?! A new frame? Are you not pleased with this one? I guess I figured when you were getting a new bike this season that it would at least last more than one season.

CLACKITYCLACKITYCLACKITYCLACKITYCLACKITYCLACKITY
I have Rolf Propels on my XC bike. They rival the King hub for pure decibel output. Quote from Lady Litton's husband on Tuesday "What the f*** kind of hub is making all that racket?!"

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
My first race ever (1994) I missed a turnoff from a gravel road much as you had feared you did... I didnt turn around in case I was wrong and eventually made it to the finish, but I rode an extra 2km.. doh. I placed like 20th out of 26 or something, heh

Fortunately, that was the only time!

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
In an XC ski race a few years back, I sprinted off the front and was met by a signpost that pointed in all directions and was nicely color-coded for each class. I had no idea what color I was, so I hauled ass up this monstrous climb for minutes and then looked around at the top to see everyone easily 2-skating and 1-skating at great speed across the valley bottom below. Totally anaerobic and seeing stars, I had to sketch my way back down the climb to get going in the right direction. I never did see the pack again and finished with the stragglers. My buddies thought I just went off and hid in the bushes until everyone passed and then came out for a leisurely skate off the back. That would have been a whole lot less trouble.

Raynaldo

Chimp
Aug 2, 2002
West LA
One time at the beginning of a race at Big Bear I commited a huge error. The big climb was starting and my camelback's water tube had not been properly adjusted. I had not preped well. I went to pull it so it would be longer so I could drink from it.
I pulled the bite valve completely off. I did not stop! All my water went pouring out in about minutes.
Needless to say I only got water at the relief station at mile 12. It was hot. I was doing well and with 1 mile to go in 3rd. I went to sprint full out and completely cramped.
ouch

Raynaldo

Chimp
Aug 2, 2002
West LA
One time at the beginning of a race at Big Bear I commited a huge error. The big climb was starting and my camelback's water tube had not been properly adjusted. I had not preped well. I went to pull it so it would be longer so I could drink from it.
I pulled the bite valve completely off. I did not stop! All my water went pouring out in about minutes.
Needless to say I only got water at the relief station at mile 12. It was hot. I was doing well and with 1 mile to go in 3rd. I went to sprint full out and completely cramped.
ouch