Quantcast

Anyone else see that Shimano raised their prices?

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
Tssk... prices isn't the issue really.. Why argue with prices is higher when shimano can't actually provide you with any stuff? :(

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Not to mention that Shimano is making dealers adheare to their priceing. Especially online retailers. They have also created their own US based warehouse and distribution. Hopefully they will turn around problems with out of stock items.

J

JRB

I understand that steel (read any metal) has risen sharply due to Chinese construction. This is the answer according to the industry providers of steel. We raised our prices of school furniture due to this. Steel is up around 40% in the last year I believe. It's only going to get worse with fuel prices soaring. :( Some peeps that just came back from China say that they are building hundreds of skyscrapers, so the steel consumption there will likely continue to rise. Sram doesn't shift as well to me. Keep that in mind.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
genpowell71 said:
4 letters: O-P-E-C

Actually O-P-E-C has nothing to do with it. Raw materials are being used up at a much higher rate by developing country’s and by our aero space industry. As small countries develop its going to put a strain on the natural resources available to every one. Countries like ours that have been using 3 times there share have to learn to slow down the rate at witch we consume things. Prices of bikes are going to go up also

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Exactly what I've read in the papers about stuff. And it's also why Shimano and others have had a hard time even providing parts. I finally, after 8 months got my Shimano big ring. Although the original was still OK after 20 months and was missing 3/4 of a bunch of teeth from rock hits, it was in need of replacement. I had gotten a cassette and small and mid but the big rings were not available. Remember that when buying a crank from anyone or any other parts for that matter, can you get replacement parts ASAP? Those new Race Face Deus were starting to look pretty
good as I was just starting to get shifting issues with the worn big ring.

NCBikingJim

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
Another thing to remember is that over the past years as raw material costs have gone up, Shimano has not had any price increases. If they would have increased prices over time then there would not have been such a big jump all at once.

To me Shimano still beats SRAM anyday, however Race Face has some very very nice cranks.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Steel is the main raw material that is in short supply right now... Damn that composite/aluminum X0 rear derailleur looks sweet :D

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
i've done pretty well just buying off of eBay i have the log in a password for the QBP catalog so i can see what the "cost" is and bid from $5 to $20 above that and have decked out 4 bikes with 03-04 shimano XTR stuff along with the new Sram X.0 all of it brand NEW and a LOT less than any mail order place, i refuse to pay retail when i can avoid it.

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
Hello Kitty said:
i've done pretty well just buying off of eBay i have the log in a password for the QBP catalog so i can see what the "cost" is and bid from $5 to $20 above that and have decked out 4 bikes with 03-04 shimano XTR stuff along with the new Sram X.0 all of it brand NEW and a LOT less than any mail order place, i refuse to pay retail when i can avoid it.
Problem is that is noone gets to sell nice bits other than on super discount blowout sales..

You won't be able to find it anywhare.

Buy mail order or whatever.. Sometimes even import yourself..

Well... makes one wonder where all nice new stuff comes from.. And how they can let it go for so cheap.. :confused: