Quantcast

Anyone else seen ROAM?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Well, specialized hooked our shop up with a copy and I just got to watch it. I don't mean to be too critical but for a film with that large of a budget I'm highly dissapointed. Its very short, the riding is weak and the commentary gets down right painful. The ONLY somewhat decent shots were the DH segments with morland, peat and rennie and that was basically watching them pedal. I've got to say, ill take a low budget race vid over even this top quality freeride vid. Even the DJ segment was weak, it was all 3's and no footed cans which get pretty old OVER and OVER. I hope someday, if racing comes back that someone will film some race footage on 16mm film, t hat would be something worth watching. In all, I'd advice those who have sense to pass on Roam and go for something else because it was a huge let down. Im going riding but i thought id give the heads up to get through all the hype.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
i didnt watch too many mtb movies but Roam is very nice,i like the music..

if anyone wants ROAM contact me on PM

you have two audio , when you get it, and if you hear all the movie comments go to audio settinga and click on audio 2 or audio 1 so you will hear whole section of biker just song no comments--just small waring,its not in all players

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
biker3 ,i couldnt agree with u more. i expected so much from this movie, but in the end i was really disappointed.
short ,bad commentary ,dj session subpar to today's level and so on.
only real good sections was darren berrcloth's and the dh in whistler (and maybe peat's section).

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The part where Caeser turns down the crown in the ampitheatre was really well done I thought.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
Berrecloth's section was awesome

The Whistler part was cool...good segment to show people what you
are talking about when you 'traveling all the way to Canada to go to a ski mountain when there isn't even snow???'

Ryan Leech is ridiculous as usual...

But yea, after those parts it seemed like the video slowed down a lot...started with a bang, but that was it.

That said, I never liked the original collective...so its not a surprise. I think its cool they are trying to take it to a new level (instead of the shaky camcorder style movies) but they have gotten a little too 'film festival' style for me

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
I'm gonna have to disagree with you biker3
I thought the riding was great. It showed the flow of biking not just one huck to another huck. If you want a racing film get something like Earthed or Hypnosis... you want a film that captures many aspects of biking from a different perspective, get one of The Collective's movies. Yes it was a bit short but if you watch the extras there is still a ton of stuff. I don't really like watching dirtjumping anyways so the second time I watched it I just skipped over that part. The street section is great too.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I liked the Collective, it was good for its intention, but I don't think I'd buy Roam. I'm cheap, so I'm going to buy maybe one movie here soon. It's gonna be Super 8 if I get anything I guess.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I absolutely love that movie. Its awesome. The Collective and Roam are very well put together and I believe they are much better then other videos. Sweet movie.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
It was never intended as a progression to the sport in the sense of riding. If you LISTEN to the commentary it is covered. The commentary was put in there for people like you to help you understand Jamie's perspective on riding and filming, I personally hated the commentary because I get it, but I also understand why it was put there. It is not intended to be a hucking jumping flick...This movie was about the locations and chilling and riding in those exotic spots and how different types of riders see those locations. The collective was about the bros. Riding and flowing with your friends.

but they have gotten a little too 'film festival' style for me
Exactly where they want to be as well :D...

/waits to see how long someone comes into the thread to call it a hippie movie....1,2,3...

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Our shop got hooked up as well. Personally I loved the movie. The filming is great and the riding was pretty good. Some of those guys were really busting out in the film. I do agree that it is short though.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
Roasted said:
It was never intended as a progression to the sport in the sense of riding. If you LISTEN to the commentary it is covered. The commentary was put in there for people like you to help you understand Jamie's perspective on riding and filming, I personally hated the commentary because I get it, but I also understand why it was put there. It is not intended to be a hucking jumping flick...This movie was about the locations and chilling and riding in those exotic spots and how different types of riders see those locations. The collective was about the bros. Riding and flowing with your friends.

Exactly where they want to be as well :D...

/waits to see how long someone comes into the thread to call it a hippie movie....1,2,3...
Agreed. To qualify my criticisms tho, I did see it twice in the theater (different friends wanted to go different nights) and I own it on DVD. Go figure.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
I liked Darrens part. I'm stoked anytime i see a DJ section in a vid, so i thought that was cool. As for the rest of the movie, i thought it sucked. The comentary was terrible. It was a complete rip off from Endless Summer.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
The riding wasn't amazing and I would much rather watch some race footage. But, the camera work was amazing and you could tell some of the shots were very well choreographed. I liked the movie but I agree with Biker 3, the riding really didn't leave me in awe.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I thought the part at Whistler where several riders would take different trails down, yet meet up again on a lower trail was pretty cool and well done.

We've all seen that North Shore section about a million times. Same stunts/features and all. But this time they did a REALLY good job capturing it on the zip line. Cool, but not that cool.

Bottom line, I've only watched it once. Doesn't hold a candle to The Collective. Although it's better than Hypnosis, but not as good as Earthed 3. But that's almost like comparing apples and oranges (Racey movies vs. Free Ride movies).

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
We are having a collective and freeride entertainment DVD burning party out here. We are going to film it from 12 angles and post it up in slo-mo on the internet.

Sinfield

Chimp
Oct 12, 2005
Hood River/ Portland OR.
ROAM was a major letdown for me. If I'd seen it having never watched the Collective, I'm sure I would have been blown away, and I was in fact impresed with the riding (obviously). That said, I watched the two films back to back last night w/ a couple of friends who had never mtn. biked before/ seen a mtn. bike video and we all agreed in the end that ROAM didn't suck you in like the Collective managed to. The riding is probably more progressive/ impressive and I know the film had a bigger budget, yet the overall product was just disapointing to me.

I enjoyed the movie, especially a few shots in particular that really did a great job of capturing the speed of the riding (one of the first singletrack sections with the perfect background motion blur and an infocus rider as well as the section on the four-x course come to mind). Also, leech is still my god.

Compared to the collective though, It just felt.... unfinished. They must have had some issues with filming, because they put in some seriously dodgy shots. i.e. shaky camera, stuff near the end of a reel, etc. The worst was in the dj section though, they put in a atleast one shot where there was no way the rider was gonna come down on the bike. I can't remember who it was, but as he pulls the bike around from a tail whip, his foot goes underneath the pedal as he comes down from the jump.... Kinda ruins the feel when you know hes about to eat **** but they try to pass it off as otherwise.

And as cool as whistler is, we have all seen it a ton of times. - maybe some new locations? I seem to remember a couple of other spots that appeared in both ROAM and the Collective.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
i loved berrecloths' segment- North shore

and the whistler one was fun

but i also thought the rest was a letdown