Quantcast

anyone else think this is a pile?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
It's sure is uglier than hell. Maybe the ugliest ever.

But, I'm not sure really. It has some nice components, hope, mavic, race face, xtr, white bros, etc. The frame is questionable though and what kind of rear shock is that? It's got some sort of a cable/resevoir thingy that goes from the shock to the handlebars.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
ncrider said:
It's sure is uglier than hell. Maybe the ugliest ever.

But, I'm not sure really. It has some nice components, hope, mavic, race face, xtr, white bros, etc. The frame is questionable though and what kind of rear shock is that? It's got some sort of a cable/resevoir thingy that goes from the shock to the handlebars.
It's a Stratos Helix DH shock with lockout on it.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...that's hilarious - laughed when I saw the whole thing.

What's with the commuter bike seat-mounted rear fender??? :D

...and the Quick Release shock mount... was Norco out of their minds?!?!! Could you imagine if that thing got yanked by some brush, or just worked loose from the suspension going through its range? WTF?

...how 'bout a QR front end??? - eliminate those pesky pinch-bolts on your steerer...

...and by the way - that guy should DEFINITELY take some more links out of his chain... it just looks too slack...

:D

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
That thing is wicked, colours and all :D
Some interesting ideas though, ie gripshift compresison adjust. Who needs a chainguide when you have excessive chain tension?

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
i ran into the owner of that bike one day on Ned's about 2 years ago. The guy was rather strange and very very nice. He told me about the movie he just put out called Jump (which i bought later that day).

He's a pretty good rider, cool guy and probably a little off his rocker.

can't say the bike is worth 2.7k but hopefuly someone buys it who will talk it up like he did.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
DHCorky said:
I wouldn't say it is a pile. It is very old and out of date.

How many bikes back in the day had quick release shock bolts for adjusting the travel?
The bike frame isn't that old, it's a 2002 Norco Launch with a custom rear. I used to own a 99 norco vps2. Looking at the bb pivot on that bike, it's larger than the 98, 99, 00, and 01 bikes. It just looks gawdy because of the color he painted it.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
S.K.C. said:
......and the Quick Release shock mount... was Norco out of their minds?!?!! Could you imagine if that thing got yanked by some brush, or just worked loose from the suspension going through its range? WTF?
:D
I don't see the QR at the shock mount being a big deal...think of the DH bikes that used to have QR rear wheels!...Karpiels, BigHits...etc

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i saw that guy & his bike for the first time about 4 years ago. no mistaking it. amazingly, it looks pretty much the same as it was now. makes me giggle every time i see it.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
The seller is claiming that this bike is a 2003 model...I've never seen this bike. One thing for sure, it is UGLY...no wait, it's fugly...

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I've witnessed it's brightness and crazy spec. It is for real. The guy who owns it is 'VERY' nice. That's a lot that he's wanting for the bike though....

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
ioscope said:
I don't know.
If it were a reasonable price I'm sure it's better than turning your AC1 into a DH bike.
um my ac1 is a much better dh bike than that crap.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
it looks like an old team dh? i can never get the model names right on old norcos because the front trianlge always looks the same.

crash test

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Nepaug, CT
Someone needs to tell that dude its a 2002 Norco Shore, not 2003. 2003 is when they got away from the full monocoque design.

I owned a 2002 and 2001 Norco Team DH, and the bike was awesome. It was a moderate weight, and had excellent dimensions for freeriding.. The monocoque design is a bit noisy but thats trademark.. The major downfall to the Norco VPS bikes all the way up to 2002, is the chainstay design.. They are not reinforced on those years and were very prone to breaking. I went through 3 sets of chainstays on my two Norco bikes..
They have since reinforced the chainstays on their newer models and the bikes are bullit proof...

As for the looks of that Norco, the bike looks haneous with that paint job. And norco had nothing to do with the linkage plate or quick release, i'm sure...

The dude is asking way too much money...