Quantcast

Anyone ever done a car audio install?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I'm putting together a system for my truck and after talking to a couple of shops and getting quotes, a system would cost me almost 50% extra vs buying the exact same parts online and installing it myself.

So my question is how difficult is it to put in a system? If I'm gonna be stripping the cab down to bare metal I'd also like to install dynamat or some other sound proofing material. I'm going to be installing the speakers in the factory locations and the sub box would be premade.

My main worries is ripping up the carpet and accidentally cutting something so that my truck doesn't work anymore.

I've got no experience doing audio installs but a friend is an Electrical Engineer so I'd figure he'd have a little more knowledge than me, can help.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Dude, its pretty easy. I've installed all the audio components in all of my cars. I've always used factory wiring so I've never pulled up carpet or anything but I've always had good results. Is it show quality? No, probably not, but if you just want to rock out while driving down the road there isn't any reason to get to worried. You'll have to pull door panels and probably a good portion of the dash, but if you work on your own bikes you've probably already got the skills to figure that out on your own. Try teh google with something like "stereo installation in (your model)".

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've put decks in my car before. and replaced speakers. It's pretty easy but you have to be somewhat savvy tinkering on stuff. Like Pesqueeb said, if you can wrench on a bike, you can finger it out

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Haha, funny that I saw this.
Car Audio installs is my job! First of all, I love the job way too much. Got a few questions for you though.

What is the make/model?
What is the year of the truck (assuming it's a truck)?
What components are you putting in (e.g. speakers, mono amp, 4ch amp, sub, deck, navigation, etc...)?
What sound quality are you looking for?
Which brand of product did you choose?

Let me know and I can basically give you a good rundown of exactly what to do.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Pulling the carpet up is easy. getting any wiring through the firewall is the bitch. Dont worry about the running of wires underneath the carpet, just take your time. Not very many wires underneath any floors in vehicles. But when running power wires through your firewall, take your time.

My suggestion, if your really worried about it, go for paying someone..... that way if something get broken... itll get fixed too!!!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
removing the carpet is easy and doesnt require any "tearing." the carpet is usually just laying there and is sometimes held in by the seats. all the panels are held in by clips and can be very delicate. dont pull on something unless you see how it comes off. most lights are connected by plugs which make it easy to disconnect.
laying dynamt down on the whole car is tedious and takes some time. just make sure you dont rush the job so you dont get tar everywhere.
it makes a HUGE difference w/ the whole cab dynamated...i used about 100sq ft of sound insulator
heres a pic of my truck when it was half-done

joe shabadoo

Chimp
Jan 26, 2007
Western North Carolina
I did quite a few installs in the 90's. Then i done my first on a newer vehicle and found a really good tip. STAY AWAY from all yellow wiring as it is for airbags. Oh and always find a good metal to metal ground to reduce alternator noise. Have fun

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
If you get your stuff from Crutchfield (sorry if that is spam), you get full vehicle specific instructions for installation and all the harnesses and other goodies you need for free. Plus they will walk you through it over the phone if you get stuck. I am about a mechanically adept as a monkey with a hammer, and I managed it just fine.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
If you get your stuff from Crutchfield (sorry if that is spam), you get full vehicle specific instructions for installation and all the harnesses and other goodies you need for free. Plus they will walk you through it over the phone if you get stuck. I am about a mechanically adept as a monkey with a hammer, and I managed it just fine.
ORRR, instead of paying outrageous retail prices, order your stuff from www.sonicelectronix.com and ask me. Also you can get wiring information for just about anything from www.the12volt.com ;)

At work we use our "autotech" website for diagrams and stuff but rarely use them.
For the record, dynamat is pretty easy to install, you just need patients if you want it to look nice behind the panels. Once I had to dynamat a 2006 Ford F250 Crew Cab and it SUCKED. As in, we did three layers of each: floor, headliner, doors, under dash...EVERYWHERE. We charged him $1,500 in labor just for that and installed a good $15,000 worth of components into that truck!

But ya, please feel free to PM me if you have ANY questions about the install. I'd be more then happy to help. I work full time at a local shop and am MECP certified ;)

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Make sure you get the proper installation kit that corresponds to your deck/vehicle make and model. I installed a pioneer deck in my friend's S10 that he had ordered online but the included installation kit was completely wrong. Local audio shop ended up having what we needed.

Everything else is pretty easy to install, just take your time with the wiring, especially the wiring harness and test everything out before you completely reassemble the dash.