Quantcast

anyone ever traveled back from mexico without..

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
...a passport? I don't own a passport because I have never been out of the country but we have decided since we are getting 4 feet of snow here in Flagstaff that we are going to go to Puerta Penasco to camp on the beach and ride our motorcycles. I have 2 drivers licenses, a social security card, health insurance card and numerous other things. I am thinking about just winging it and going......seems the worst thatll will happen is they will question me. We will be entering and leaving Mexico through Ajo with is apparently a big tourist entrance and exit.....seems good to go to me....but.....

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well the other possibility is a passport id card which covers you for land/water travel only. I can go purchase one tomorrow but you dont actually get it for weeks. A friend of ours did that and took the receipt with him and had no problems getting back across. they gave him a little bit of a stink eye and educated him but he never even had to get out of the car.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
you need a passport or a enhanced drivers license to get back into the USA. If you don't know what a enhanced DL is you don't have one.

Border Patrol scans everyone's $hit now, unless you have a NEXUS card.

I live 20 min from the Canadian border, I know my $hit.

I would assume all the southern states have enhanced DL's like they do here in NY. I just use a passport.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
My brother has been living in Acapulco for about a year and a half. He lost his passport and has been though the border about 6 times without one. No idea how, but hes never been stopped....
he's either a consulate, or he's lodged up someone's ass on the way back in.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Biggins, my folks live part of the year in Puerto Penasco, aka Rocky Point, and yes, you need a passa-porta. One of those passport cards would work, too, however, your best bet is to call border control and talk with someone there. No sense trying to "sneak one by", then getting caught. Also, since this sounds like your first trip down, there is a second INS check-point about 5-10 miles from the border in AZ, they only check those returning to the States, and they don't take kindly to lack of documentation.

No sense taking any chances with your trip, so play it safe. I may ask for a riding guide if I ever get to Flagstaff.................

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Horsesh!t. I've flown into and out of Canada with just a license. They may give you a hard time (cavity search), but they won't strand you in a foreign country unless you have some kind of citizenship gray area going on.
Really?

Have you researched it recently? Yes you can get IN to canada rather easily.

Entry into Canada is solely determined by Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials in accordance with Canadian law. Please see the CBSA’s website for details. Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card (see below) satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. If U.S. citizen travelers to Canada do not have a passport, passport card or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport. Children under sixteen need only present proof of U.S. citizenship. (Please see below for important information concerning re-entry into the United States).
Re-entry to the US from Canada.

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.
Seems a passport would be ideal...however it's the coming home part that seems most important.....getting stuck in Canada equals a bad day. Getting Stuck in Mexico equals the possibility of a really really ****ty host of issues.

All Americans traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to re-enter the United States. This requirement was extended to sea travel (except closed-loop cruises), including ferry service, on June 1, 2009. Starting June 1, 2009, all travelers entering the U.S. by land, sea or air were required to present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card. While passport cards and enhanced driver’s license are sufficient for re-entry into the United States, they may not be accepted by the particular country you plan to visit; please be sure to check with your cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements. U.S. legal permanent residents in possession of their I-551 Permanent Resident card may board flights to the United States from Mexico.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html

I think the original poster should make the gamble, I mean whats the worst that could happen?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Horsesh!t. I've flown into and out of Canada with just a license. They may give you a hard time (cavity search), but they won't strand you in a foreign country unless you have some kind of citizenship gray area going on.
Not anymore bud. Liz is in Canada right now. She's been there several times in the last few months. Passport is MANDATORY.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Just ask the neighborhood cartel if you can use one of their tunnels. They love gringos and are eager to show off their craftsmanship.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
You can cross the border with just a license and a birth certificate. Just don't do it on a weekend or evening, as you will be waiting until the Consulate opens up Monday morning around 9:45AM. If you bring a cup of coffee into the Niagara Fall US Consulate they will make you dump it out or go to the back of the line. Don't even bother to ask to use the bathroom..... Also make sure the verification # you give them is an actual person and they are home.... Or bring your current passport. I have the enhanced ID and it works awesome....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what do they do to all the idiots that cross over and forget to bring a passport with them? I'm genuinely curious...do you get turned away until you die, do they look up your info, do they contact yer family, what?

Sep 15, 2009
cesspool
what do they do to all the idiots that cross over and forget to bring a passport with them? I'm genuinely curious...do you get turned away until you die, do they look up your info, do they contact yer family, what?
I hope those stupid people have to stay. Keep them from coming back.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
As long as you don't mind swallowing a full condoms full of some powder, I have some friends and old clients down there who could get you back in.

Just whatever you do, make sure you're in a bathroom fishing that stuff out within six hours, and under no circumstances should you allow anyone to punch you, or much less touch you, in your gunt area.

And if your mouth starts to taste like battery acid or vanilla, please disregard all of the above advice and tell God, when you meet him, that you were framed.