Quantcast

Anyone flossin' a TBC Double?

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
Really really thinking about sinking the bucks into a Double to add to the stable. Anyone out there with any opinions on it? I am not asking what bike to buy and I know what it is designed for (that is why I am looking at it). Looking at a long since I am 6'0".

Post all input and comments, intelligent or not.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
the double is awsome and designed primarily for dirt jumps but its also a hell of a lot of fun on 4x and DS courses. very nimble and rides like a hardtail in 90% of situations except when you come up short on a jump or cruzing over rough stuff.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
i had the same question facing me. I ended up with the sweet hardtail and my buddy bought the double. Its sick for sure but I prefer my hardtail for anything I would be doing with the double. If you have a ht get the double if you don't then I would go hardtail.

nutter

Chimp
May 6, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
If your sticking to pure Djing I'd stick with the hardtail, if it's likely that you'd want to go into anything freeride related in the future get the double.

I haven'thad any experience of the double, but I can vouch for the Bottlerocket as I own one, and can say it jumps very well indeed.

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
Not just strictly DJ, but not enough trail time to justify the BR. Looking for the 90% solution. The DB is waaaaay too much travel for where I am going (leaving WA), so I am getting rid of it. Need to find a good fill in replacement, and I think the Double might be it. Suspension only comes in to play if and when you need it. So I read anyway.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
^^^basically correct. If I can add to my previous recomendation, if you are planning on gearing it (not single speed) go for the double.

drakan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia, USA
I think they would be great 4x or Mountaincross bikes, maybe good for Slopestyle doubles (Not the drops or anything) And BMX DJ's.
Good idea if you want to do any of those

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
I had one it was pretty cool. I like my bottle rocket/top combo better then just the double. Its def not a slope style bike though.

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
^^^basically correct. If I can add to my previous recomendation, if you are planning on gearing it (not single speed) go for the double.
Was going to go single speed, since the majority of the time (greater than 80%) would be launching. Maybe picking up a BR and a solid HT SS would be the way to go. Thanks B^B.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
thats a good way to go. I have seen some with a rohloff tensioner in the rear and two rings in the front, one for jumping and one for pedaling up hills on the way to use the other ring.