Quantcast

Anyone get tired leg syndrome from biking?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Tired or restless leg syndrome is pretty common among long distance runners. After a particularly long and hard effort you find that your legs become restless during sleep, sometimes this is just a matter of muscle spasms and twitching that won’t allow you to get a full nights rest. Other times it’s more severe causing your legs to involuntarily kick in rapid jerky movements, this can happen for several nights until your body has recovered to a sufficient level.

This has never happened to me as a result of biking until last night. There is always a lead up to these episodes – usually the result of over-training. The week prior I ran for 30 miles spread out over 4 days, one day I bicycled at a moderate pace for 60 minutes.

On Saturday I rested in preparation for a group ride on Sunday. I had done this ride before and it’s not really physically challenging but for me it’s technically difficult since it’s very tight and twisty. At times I felt the early twinges of leg cramps from low speed / low spin torque – usually in an effort to save myself from hitting a tree or stump; I don’t flow well. The ride was fun and lasted for about 4 ½ hours, or 4 solid hours of riding. My legs were not overly tired but my upper back, shoulders and forearms were feeling the strain.

Monday I could feel the effect of the effort but I did not feel fatigued. I went for a 12 mile cardio loop on fire roads with my usual crew. Nothing dramatic to report – you typically move a bit slower at night but we still got good workout.

…and then last night I experienced several bouts of restless leg syndrome, kicking and lurching myself awake several times. No different than if I had just finished a 50K or similar event. Bad news and hardly any sleep at all. I keep track of all the usual things and I know I was not dehydrated.

Do any of you ever get this result from biking? I found this unusual since all my running as been at a very moderate pace – the biking I described was only 6 hours in sessions spaced over 5 days. Curious.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Sorry, I really only notice it after a really long or hard run......my legs tighten up, spaz around, and then start to ache so bad during the night it wakes me up. It usually only bothers me on my lower legs, below the knee.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Snacks
Sorry, I really only notice it after a really long or hard run......my legs tighten up, spaz around, and then start to ache so bad during the night it wakes me up. It usually only bothers me on my lower legs, below the knee.
I had it in the abductors and (less so) in the quads. Today lifting my knee past horizontal while standing actually hurts. I'm going for a run tonight - we'll see how it feels. :confused:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Serial Midget

Do any of you ever get this result from biking? I found this unusual since all my running as been at a very moderate pace – the biking I described was only 6 hours in sessions spaced over 5 days. Curious.
I get this after 24 Hour races and 100 mile races. Mine are just muscle twitches really though.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I had it in the abductors and (less so) in the quads. Today lifting my knee past horizontal while standing actually hurts. I'm going for a run tonight - we'll see how it feels. :confused:

Oh, I love sore leg runs :(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
:angry: :angry: :angry: Drinking is not something I do. So there. :monkey:

Anyhow :) I did not run on Tuesday or Wednsesday, I plan to take the rest of the week off and just sit tight while it takes care of itself. I'll be well rested and will try to keep up with the big dogs on Sunday's road bike adventure.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
In the winter I hit the weights, spin a lot, ride when I can and snowboard. This causes my quads to get pretty tight and I just don't sleep well like that. Pretty much whenever I train or play hard I hydrate, massage and stretch my legs really well before bed. Helps me a lot.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
I get these all the time, but not as bad as some have noted here. It's mostly annoying because I can't fall asleep, it's not like I'm cramping and in pain.

Just a couple of months ago, I stumbled upon a solution: a big glass of chocolate milk. It's crazy, but it works for me. I'll be lying in bed, my legs jumping all around, just making my GF mad because I won't lie still. I go quaff a glass of the dark moo, hop back in bed, and the jumpies are gone.

I'm just pre-emptive now. I kill a glass about 2 minutes before I hit the sack, and I'm fine.

I have no idea whatsoever about how this works. Does it cause the blood to rush to my stomach? Is it because my leg muscles are lacking sugar? I'd be interested to hear from a professional about why this might be. My personal theory is that my leg muscles are "hungry", because they are rebuilding, and they want food. I dump something in my stomach, and my body says "OK, we got some food coming yer way!".

In any case, give it a shot for yourself.