Quantcast

Anyone gone heliskiing?

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Dude. I'm telling you - you DON'T need to weight big fat modern powder skis evenly. You CAN if you want to but you don't HAVE to.

Have you ever ridden fat skis? If so... what were they? I'm starting to suspect that you haven't... :think:
You are correct, no need for the old form on the new fatties. My new skis have a 94mm waist and they float, and they are small compared to skis like the pontoons.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
i would just suggest going to the Wasatch range for a week instead of going heli skiing. time it right and you will get more snow than you will know what to do with. day, after day, after day. :D

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
I repeat, no powder and no snow in Washington, especially Baker!

Mt. Baker sets another world snowfall record
By Patrick McMahon, USA TODAY, May 14, 1999

A spring snowstorm pushed the Mt. Baker Ski Area north of Seattle into a world snowfall record.

The Cascades Mountains ski area reported 2 inches, for a total of 1,124 inches of snow - or 93 feet, 8 inches - since Nov. 1. The record for a 12-month season from July 1 to June 30 had been 93 feet, 61/2 inches, set at Mount Rainier National Park in 1971-72.

Wednesday's mark is the third unofficial world snowfall record set at the ski area this year. In February, it set a monthly record of 25 feet, 4 inches; and its November-April total was a record 91 feet, 4 inches.

A government panel will evaluate the records before they become official.

And the forecast?

"More snow," ski area spokeswoman Gwyn Howat says.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I repeat, no powder and no snow in Washington, especially Baker!

Mt. Baker sets another world snowfall record
By Patrick McMahon, USA TODAY, May 14, 1999

A spring snowstorm pushed the Mt. Baker Ski Area north of Seattle into a world snowfall record.

The Cascades Mountains ski area reported 2 inches, for a total of 1,124 inches of snow - or 93 feet, 8 inches - since Nov. 1. The record for a 12-month season from July 1 to June 30 had been 93 feet, 61/2 inches, set at Mount Rainier National Park in 1971-72.

Wednesday's mark is the third unofficial world snowfall record set at the ski area this year. In February, it set a monthly record of 25 feet, 4 inches; and its November-April total was a record 91 feet, 4 inches.

A government panel will evaluate the records before they become official.

And the forecast?

"More snow," ski area spokeswoman Gwyn Howat says.
Yeah. 1124 inches of SNOW in a season. Of which approximately 30 inches could be considered Real Powder™.

;)

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
ok, your obviousley not going to budge on this one. I think you are comparing the quality of powder?

Baker might not have the "champagne powder" you are used to rockin, but it is powder and it is good. Baker also sits in a spot that gets snow that is not nearly as wet as the snow in other spots around the pnw.

I have no idea where you ski or if you ski, but I ski a lot and Baker is really good.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
ok, your obviousley not going to budge on this one. I think you are comparing the quality of powder?

Baker might not have the "champagne powder" you are used to rockin, but it is powder and it is good. Baker also sits in a spot that gets snow that is not nearly as wet as the snow in other spots around the pnw.

I have no idea where you ski or if you ski, but I ski a lot and Baker is really good.
I'm sure if you don't know any better than the snow at Baker seems really nice. :p

Hell - I think Douglas like the snow they get out East.

There's no accounting for taste...

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Keep shooting people down and slagging on their ski/biking spots, you will eventually hit 30,000 posts and feel really good about yourself.

I will be riding my bike this summer in the crappy pnw where there are no good places to ride. If you need to reach me this winter I will be at Baker hating the crappy snow. I am sure that you will be posting from a chairlift in France or a helicopter in Alaska.

You win. Peace.