Quantcast

anyone had luck applying for jobs via MOnster, CareerBuilder, etc?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've applied for lots of jobs through CareerBuilder with no bites (jobs that I was pretty qualified or, not long shot type jobs). Do these companies just get sooo many resumes from these sites that they almost get diluted?

Anyone had any luck using the big sites?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
If you're "self-motivated" and "interested in a career in sales" then hell yeah!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have never landed a job by applying via the intarweb. I've gotten interviews by applying though Monster and CareerBuilder, but no job offers. However, I did have a recruiter pull my resume from Monster and match me up to the job I'm currently in.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Depends on your field - my field is not well represented, and I've never had any luck with either board.

Buddy of mine who was a computer network guy had decent luck...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I've had interviews.

If there's a job you really want, dig for info and make personal contact with the hiring manager or the HR person in-charge of getting you in the system.

In other words, yes, they receive an insane number of resumes.

One job I interviewed for yesterday had only a fax number, I googled it, found the company info, sent my resume by email and was immediately called. I'm guessing only a few people would've done that... gets you to the top of the list.

I've stopped by unannounced with my resume at places. Some find it annoying, others appreciate the initiative.

Monster is a tool, I mean, another tool in the process. They are a tool tho with all their connection errors.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Yes the companies that submit to monster get tons of replies, and it's hard to distinguish yourself from the pack. As LO said try to hook up with antheir H.R. also call some of the local headhunters to see if they are representing this company, a sharp and hungry Headhunter can usually get you in for an interview, if the said company uses recruiters.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I have been contacted about my resume from monster and gotten a job that way, but I have never gotten a response from any of the companies I have submitted it for.

I do know that some companies who advertise on Monster only do so to make it appear that the company is growing. (ATT Wireless) They do this to attract investors.

I worked there for a year as a contractor. The whole time they were constantly hiring and letting contractors go. It wasn't that they didn't need the help, they had been under a hiring freeze for a couple of years. And sure enough when my year was up, out the door I went.

When I asked why they were advertising for open positions, and what happened when people applied. I was told that all the submissions whent to an HR server and were deleted every six months without anyone so much as looking at them.

I have a feeling that this is standard for many of the companies you see listed there.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've recently started using CareerBuilder to find job openings, but then gone to the company websites to see if the job was posted there. If so, I've been applying that way. Hopefully that will pan out better.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I got one interview from Monster but probably applied for a dozen positions that I was qualified for, with no response. And then, of course, if you don't stand far out from the pack, you're just going to get lost in the shuffle.

It's so easy to submit resumes that it makes no real sense not to so submit away, but don't sit back and expect lots of results.

I get the feeling there are a lot of positions listed on Monster that are either already filled, or they have no real intention of filling (as Tench said).

BTW, CareerBuilder.com will bend your email address over and sodomize it without lube. I would create an account specifically for your job search. When I was looking at their privacy policy about 6 months ago, they basically said their email address was theirs to have their way with.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
jacksonpt said:
I've applied for lots of jobs through CareerBuilder with no bites (jobs that I was pretty qualified or, not long shot type jobs). Do these companies just get sooo many resumes from these sites that they almost get diluted?

Remember that there there are MANY people looking for work these days, as always. You really need to have a solid proper resume to stand out among the dozens or hundreds they may have to sort through before starting to talk with people. Be sure mistakes or flaws in your resume doesn't ruin your chances, even if you might be a good applicant for the job.

I believe that the best way to land a new job is through networking. Talk to people at the companies where you would like to be working.

That said, I received a call about 5 weeks ago from an HR director that found my resume on Monster. We discussed an opportunity which turns out could be a substantial move for me. I've interviewed with 3 people (over 5 hours) and am one of the two people being considered. I hope to hear their decision today.

Good luck.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
ok, as a tangent... what are people's thoughts about using the resume templates provided with MS Word? Just another way to make you look like everyone else, or a good tool for putting together a clean, organized resume?

FWIW... I'm appling for jobs related to IT/web development.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I am having the best luck from uploading my resume' to the local BostonWorks.com employment website and allowing companies to view it. I get a voicemail or two most weeks from a recruiter saying they viewed my resume' and have xyz job that I might be interested in. Do you have a local site like this?

Another method they works with limited success - If you see companies on Monster or Carrer Builder that interest you, but not a current listing in whatever you are qualified to do, go to the comapnies actual website and have a look. They might have other jobs they aren't using the web boards to list. You can bookmark the companies sites and go back later.

Some places will also allow you to upload your res. even if nothing is currently available. Companies that do this generally scan the in-house resume's first with the hope of not having to use the job boards or pay a recruiting agency when an opening comes up.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
jacksonpt said:
ok, as a tangent... what are people's thoughts about using the resume templates provided with MS Word? Just another way to make you look like everyone else, or a good tool for putting together a clean, organized resume?

Most companies use keyword searching on resumes to do the initial sort for them. So in that respect you can design it however you like as long as you use a large assortment of undustry buzzwords.

If you use their template, make sure you customize it a little.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I, like many others, have never even gotten a response from direct application through Monster, Dice, CareerBuilder, or many others. Also, like many others, I have gotten interviews and a few offers from recruiters that pulled my resume and got me in front of the client.

However, my current job I thought was a joke, but here I am. I found it cruising Craig's List inder QA/DBA postings. The email was anonymous, so I had no idea who I was applying to. I got a call a week later, intervewed the next day, got the offer that night, and started the day after.

I am very happy with my new company and like what I am doing here. I never thought I would get a job from Craig's List, but here I is. I feel a lot better about it because it was a direct placement, so nobody made a buck off me (unlike the $15k+ others have made in the past).

I have had good luck with most recruiters, but I also stay local. I don't like to work with recruiters from outside the city because they don't know the area and don't know me.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I got my last job through monster. I just viewed the ads and faxed my resume though.
And not all employees are having a hard time finding work. We've been trying to hire people for months and can't find anybody qualified.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I found my current job through one of those type of sites. I had to physically go to the company and apply. They appeared to ignore applications though the site. I presume they do this to filter out agencies and people that don't really want the job. Since it's so easy to apply for lots of jobs I suspect many people apply for dozens of jobs many of which they are not sutible for.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
jacksonpt said:

the job i am at i found on monster while i was traveling around working for another company. I've been here for almost 5 years.
There might have been a couple of applicants for this position but I’m sure there was nobody with my experience with the software and venders. I’m sure there were people with ‘better’ qualifications but software and vender contacts went a long way AND my resume’ ended up being passed around and coincidently (or not so coincidently) enough there were people who I’ve worked with in the past here (that I didn’t know) that gave me a good review.
I’m in a large, small business type.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
jacksonpt said:

I used Resumaker.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Back in '99, Monster was my best friend. I had offers from all over the country from my Monster profile. That's how I got my current job. I've updated my profile recently and have had a few calls, but nothing serious.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Got my current job via Monster. I had lots of call backs and 3 interviews from adds I responded to. Even after I got my current job I have had a bunch of emails. It works.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Last time I got hired, 200+ resumes came in for the open position (through Monster and so forth)... and the Project Director doing the hiring didn't have time to go through so many resumes. She asked the other Project Directors to tell their friends about the position... and that's where I came in. In the end, I think she interviewed two people (including me) and I got the job. (I was overqualified and ended up moving up two positions in less than a year.)

Be sure to let your friends know what kind of job you're looking for so they can keep their ears open!