Quantcast

anyone has a kingfisher???

doodoobi

Chimp
Dec 27, 2006
hawaii/temporary in AZ
just picked up a kingfisher and was wondering how you like it. pro's and con's of it. i've gone to mtbr.com but just wanted more opinons but the bike. i took it for a short road ride yesterday and it was making a humming sound. i think it was the disc braks vibrating. but what do i know i am a newbie. well just wanted to put this out there

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Don't people typically ask for pros and cons before buying a bike? Since you already have one, how do you like it?

And is it possible that the humming may have been the sound of new rubber tires on the road?

doodoobi

Chimp
Dec 27, 2006
hawaii/temporary in AZ
yeah your right it was just that i got i for nearly new for under a thousand so i just jumped on it. well did a little research which just consist of mtbr then decided to buy it. no regrets just wanted some other peoples opinions about the bike good or bad

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
I have a freind who had one. He thought it was good for a basic single pivot design. Not that good of a DHer, but he hucked huge on it (he did the big roadgap at Crankworx right before the step up even).

doodoobi

Chimp
Dec 27, 2006
hawaii/temporary in AZ
kona ryder thanks for the good comment about the bike. as for the rest well let me tell you this. i just got into the sport cause there is no surfing in AZ so i am a newbie. would like to get positive feed back about a bike that i am trying to get use to. never did anything like this before. so far from my newbie experience with the bike does well for me. hopefully i can get good enough to do some dh with it. so far all i did was 6ft drop and that was today after work. i am still getting that weird metal humming sound? can't see or figure out what it is. well guess when it breaks i will know. so now you know why i am looking to see if anyone else has one.

thanks for reading.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
kona ryder thanks for the good comment about the bike. as for the rest well let me tell you this. i just got into the sport cause there is no surfing in AZ so i am a newbie. would like to get positive feed back about a bike that i am trying to get use to. never did anything like this before. so far from my newbie experience with the bike does well for me. hopefully i can get good enough to do some dh with it. so far all i did was 6ft drop and that was today after work. i am still getting that weird metal humming sound? can't see or figure out what it is. well guess when it breaks i will know. so now you know why i am looking to see if anyone else has one.

thanks for reading.
My guess is that it is your rotor rubbing on the brake pads. Try taking the wheels out and prying the two pads apart with a clean screw-driver. Then put the wheels back in and sqeeze that levers hard. Many time there brake pads arent towed in properly from factory. This should solve it.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
The humming could be the brakes, does it happen all the time or only when the brakes are in use or not in use?

It could also be the drivetrain, either the chainguide, front derraileur (if it has one), or the rear derraileur if it isn't tuned properly. Once again, does it happen all the time or only when pedalling or coasting? Take it to a shop if you can't figure it out.

And from what I hear it's a pretty solid bike.

doodoobi

Chimp
Dec 27, 2006
hawaii/temporary in AZ
thanks guys so far it's fun to ride took it off a four ft drop and it did well. I know it is probably capable to do more but remember i am new to this and just getting my feet wet.

blacknoise thanks for the advice and i am taking it to the shop tomorrow cause it is still happening and when i take turns i think the rotor is rubbing on the inside pad. the pads look well just maybe rough due to lack of use from previous owner. he just used it on his dirt road behind his house.

well thanks again guys. if you got more info on the bike that would be cool and if you can think of anything that i can do to lighten up this fat boy that would be great. the first think that i am changing if it is possible with an stock rim is go tubeless and get a lighter better tire.
any suggestion to what to get and i want to lighten up the cockpit as much as possible with out lossing the durability i guesss.....

hope this all make sense:imstupid:
:busted:

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
Nice, congrats on the purchase...great price, what a steal. I rode a Kingfisher at the Trek demo day at Plattekill this past summer. I ride a Trek Diesel so I am used to the single pivot. I thought it handled the terrain well, although the Bontrager Big Earls did not. I would have preferred something more like the Kenda Blue Groove & Nevegals I run, Someting with more bite. The Big Earls are a great trail tire, I have a set on my RM Switch, but I got zero traction on the loose shale there...It was like skiing on a bike. Drops on this bike were a blast, it soaks up alot. It was also pretty manueverable, probably due to the SIngle Intrinsic that was on the front.

I also demoed the Session77 and I had more fun on that bike. It felt more nimble and agile to me. Soaked up the drops and I always felt I was in the right position when hitting the gnarly stuff. This bike had Big Earls too, so that was the only let down.

All I have to say is that bike will probably take what ever you have to throw at it. I just hope you have proper mountains nearby to really see what it can do. One thing for sure is that both the Session and Kingfisher are no trail bikes, they are gonna be a chore to pedal up hill.

doodoobi

Chimp
Dec 27, 2006
hawaii/temporary in AZ
cool!!! good to know someone got a good taste of the bike and what it could do. I guess I just started this post to convince myself that I did not make a mistake by getting this bike. Don't get me worng I don't regret it at all due to the price.

So what kind of tires are those kenda blue groove, is that the particular model of tires?? I am gonna switch the tubes and tires off as my first step to lighten her up. got any good suggestions....

again thanks for the great info....

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
Definatley not a waste, but it will be if you never get to DH with it. But at that point you could sell it and get something more appropriate.

As far as the tires, the Kenda Blue Groove and Nevegal are different models. I use the Blue Groove up front and the Nevegal in the rear. The ones I use are super sticky and have a DH casing so they are heavy too. Not good trail tires, but Kenda does make these in different sizes and lighter casings. Aired down these things are unstoppable. They've got skads of traction and are predictable. They cost some $$$ unless you can find a deal on eBay, but they are worth it. They would probably only last one full season of DH racing, but I've had mine for 2 seasons and I think they will make it to at least three.

If you have the Big Earls, use those for trail riding because they'll work great. They are my favortie trail tire so far. If you want to lighten things up I'd say stay away from tires with a DH casing. But if that's what you are going to do with it, the DH casing is probably what you want. I often swap tires on the DH bike if I am going to ride it locally. Sometimes I'll take it out to the local trails prior to going DH'in just to make sure there aren't any bugs. Then I'll throw lighter tires on it cause I know I am not going to be doing anything gnarly...aside from maybe a few small drops.