Quantcast

anyone have a Kona stab primo?

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
Hey,
I have a 2k Stab Primo with Super T's on it. it's a rad bike. I've taken it up to N* plenty of times. When I first got it, I was amazed at how the geometry of the bike is, especially when I lowered the crown on the fork. It is weird for me because I am riding a large and am 5'6", so it is too much bike for me. If you are interested, I would be willing to put the bike up for you so I can get a bike that fits me better. Good luck in your decision.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I never was to happy about my 2001 as it was to heavy for me and very dificult to move around. The new frames a lighter but I have not ridden it and with a better tuned shock or even a 5th it will ride better. Getting the rear wheel on and off is not easy and it took me a long time to master that art.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
And to answer your question, I don't actually own a Stab, but in my experience, they are pretty stinkin' heavy and can take a good amount of abuse. That being said, it takes a lot of effort to get them up to speed, and they are more of a "plow straight thru everything" type of bike, as opposed to a "pick your line" bike.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
ok, the dexter has a point. i'm lazy and didn't feel like remembering monster T. but anyways, my stab primo, as weighed at Northstar is 49.5 lbs. yes, quite a rig, but it can take all the abuse and drops I give it. BUY MINE!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

I raced this bike during the 02 season and I really liked it. It was kind of hard to get use to the rear locking out when I was braking but other than that it was fine. I started out with a light version the one you see with the Fox and Super T...that came in just under 40lbs.....I then switched to a Shiver and Avalanche set up and it still weighed under 43lbs....I think its a good bike if you buy the frame only.

I don't think it's worth the price they ask for the complete bike. I'm 5'9" and I rode the medium...the fit was pretty much spot on for me but I came from BMX and I like bikes with a little bit tighter cockpit and the Primo's run a bit smaller than most DH bikes. Also I noticed when I upgraded ot the Avalanche in the rear it really helped reduce the amount of lockout I was feeling in the rear......D

dhdescender

Chimp
Oct 3, 2001
QB - BC
I owned one for the better part of a season back in...2001 I think?
Anyhow, all I can say is it was OK. That's about the best I can give, it wasnt awful, but I like dthe VPS I had the previous year quite a bit more. It didnt blow me away in any department.

It is DEFANITLY squirrely under braking, I noticed tha right off the bat.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
http://www.konart.net/2K5_Bike_Images/

Do you guys think that new floating caliper on the 2005's will do anything to help? From what I can see, the rod for the floater crossed the line of the swingarm.... wouldn't that totally eliminate the benifits of the floating caliper? Actually, wouldn't that have tons of negative effects on braking? (causing super-brake-jack?) Someone with engineering experience please comment on this....

Edit- I was thinking about this, and I think I'm right- the leverage of the wheel rotating forward and the brake stopping it would be transmitted forward and down by the floating brake rod, causing the suspension to compress under braking (more than a normal single-pivot / non-floater setup). Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
zane said:
http://www.konart.net/2K5_Bike_Images/

Do you guys think that new floating caliper on the 2005's will do anything to help? From what I can see, the rod for the floater crossed the line of the swingarm.... wouldn't that totally eliminate the benifits of the floating caliper? Actually, wouldn't that have tons of negative effects on braking? (causing super-brake-jack?) Someone with engineering experience please comment on this....

Edit- I was thinking about this, and I think I'm right- the leverage of the wheel rotating forward and the brake stopping it would be transmitted forward and down by the floating brake rod, causing the suspension to compress under braking (more than a normal single-pivot / non-floater setup). Someone tell me if I'm wrong.
check out the other thread on this page, titled Fabian's Stab. Being on a bike that squats under braking, I can fully attest to it being MUCH faster and more stable in the tight corners. :thumb: Was very apparant this sunday when I swapped bikes with someone on a 4-bar and slid out in one of the turns b/c the rear didn't hook up enough. Will be interesting to see how the Stab works...

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
What thread are you speaking of?
I'm not denying that some squat into corners is good, but that the new konas will REALLY squat under braking.