Quantcast

anyone have a 'lance camper'

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
the kinda camp shell that sits on the back of trucks.. if i recall correctly the original RM set himself up a nice one... the only makers i ve found so far are
http://www.lancecamper.com/2006/815.html

these guys... look pretty nice, but they are pretty spendy... better deals for a nice used one on ebay... this one would be the ticket...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lance-Extended-Cabover-Camper-1010_W0QQitemZ300011309524QQihZ020QQcategoryZ50061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

so do any of you monkeys have one of these things... whats the deal ??

cheers

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
What you get rreally depends on what you want to do with it. Do you want maximum luxury and you don't mind hauling a behemoth of a camper to achieve that goal? Do you want to access remote areas via rough jeep trails? If so, you would probably want to get a superlight pop-up like a four wheel camper:

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
BeerDemon said:
Four Wheel Camper Hawk

the 'ranger' is the model that fits mine... would you mind posting a few photos if you have some ??

yours looked brand new... wonder if you could find a nice used one for 4K or so... the ranger is 8800 base price...

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
partsbara said:
the 'ranger' is the model that fits mine... would you mind posting a few photos if you have some ??

yours looked brand new... wonder if you could find a nice used one for 4K or so... the ranger is 8800 base price...
You won't find one for 4k. They are expensive and the demand for used ones is pretty high. Keep in mind that 8800 price tag is for what is mostly an empty shell, which you can build out yourself or order an array of options from the factory.

They aren't cheap - but in the long run they partially pay for themselves in fuel savings and high resale value. These campers have welded aluminum frames when most are particle board. It will last a long time with proper care. Also the light weight probably means you won't need to modify your rear suspension.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
BeerDemon said:
You won't find one for 4k. They are expensive and the demand for used ones is pretty high. Keep in mind that 8800 price tag is for what is mostly an empty shell, which you can build out yourself or order an array of options from the factory.

They aren't cheap - but in the long run they partially pay for themselves in fuel savings and high resale value. These campers have welded aluminum frames when most are particle board. It will last a long time with proper care. Also the light weight probably means you won't need to modify your rear suspension.
yeah i imagine that they fetch pretty good prices for a used one... i haven t seen to many of them around so no doubt they are in demand, especially a well maintained one...

did you fit yours out yourself ?? any suggestions or recommendations ?? i forget if yours has the toilet / shower recess...

do you have any photos ?? their (four wheel campers) webpage doesn t really have any inside photos... if ya don t wanna post them here i could send ya my e mail addy... sorry to bombard ya with q's but one of these things is lookin like a good idea... save some $$, the missus and i can camp year-round in relative comfort...

thanks for ya help demon... if ya ever in nor cal with that thing, stop by for a german brew or 4...

edit - got ya PM... thanks :thumb:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
What about a pull behind pop-trailer?
Less weight payload wise, I would guess more aerodynamic because it doesn't sit up high into the wind.
Still have your the bed of the truck to use as a bed.
When you get to where your going, you can disconnect it and still be able to use your truck for running around.
They seem to hold their value relatively good, especially if you have dry storage for it.
$.02