Quantcast

anyone have any experiances with american classic hubs?

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
Hello, just wondering about these hubs, they have been around for quite sometime, the LBS says that they are his favorite hubs, light and strong. I checked the a BTI salesman and they have sold alot of them and have heard of no problems.

These dogs are really light, about 160 grms for the front, and 250 grms for the rear. The XT rear is at about 500 grams for comparison, the front XT is about 275 or more. If this is true, the two American Classic hubs together weigh less than just the back XT hub. Im not a reall weight weenie, but the LBS claims that these hubs are very strong and for light freeriding they will hold up well.

Bob

Shencycle

Chimp
Aug 15, 2002
NY
This dude has built wheels for me and others that I know of on this board.....the last set he built for me.... I am still using and have not had to touch them in over a year and counting......he deals with American Classic.....I am sure he will build a better wheel than the LBS...he is a true master wheel builder.....very fairly priced as well....
http://www.oddsandendos.com/

:monkey:

Which Am Classic hub?

The old AM Classics with the oversized hub shell were some of the first "suspension-ready" looking hubs, but the soft aluminum axle was flexy. My gf caused hers to bind the bearings, and then the axle just spins inside the carrier/caps on the outer edges...creating a "bushing" hub instead of bearings. If the hubs you're talking about have an oversized aluminum axle, forget it. They're light but made for the road.

recon

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
Warrenton VA
If you are reffering to the new line of A Classic stuff, they are allright, not Mavic quality, not XT hefty weight or bottom end Deore, but o.k.

The hubs are manufactured overseas, and are very light. The fact that they have a little zerk fitting is cool...but to get the grease to flow out the other side, you have to pump in quite a bit. If you use too thick a grease, it binds everything up.

I have had not problem with the front hubs, but have exploded two rear hubs. The ratcheting mechanism just kinda falls apart. But...they do warranty everything, and I've had quick turnaround from them.

Check with your LBS, or maybe a local bike club, getting a significant club/racer discount is only a form away.

:)