Quantcast

Anyone Have Any Experience With the Brooklyn Race/Mini Link?

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by chromegoddess
polished...chrome mmmmmmm

hehe, maximum security. i hope macmx shows up in here. his and shortbus's mini's are my faves. (no offense to siko and his stable, or course.)
Here I am Chromegoddess. Nice to see you in a thread again!:D

Yeah check out mine. http://www.krusty.dk/fq.jpg

Check www.krusty.dk for updates.

If you're even considering buying one - do it! You never regret it, i can honestly say; this bike is the best i've ever ridden, hands down!

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Originally posted by sikocycles
if you get one you would'nt be happier. It is a great bike
Did you ever end up getting a mini or are you still pondering the longer TT idea?

Here's mine in action while we're at it

pics courtesy of Damien C of course :D

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Originally posted by Horrendous Hack
I know it is insane. I think it would be just as bad to get it directly as there is SILLY import tax these days. I may e-mail the UK distributor and Brooklyn nd see what work out best.
Honestly it'd be cheaper for you to make a quick trip to NY and pick your bike up yourself then just bring her back home. I think you usually don't have to pay taxes on stuff you bring in with you as long as its personal possession not intended for sale etc. Is that right?

You might have to sometimes argue a bit with the customs but it should be allright.

Christian -

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Originally posted by Shortbus
Did you ever end up getting a mini or are you still pondering the longer TT idea?

Here's mine in action while we're at it

pics courtesy of Damien C of course :D
nice burgers shorty. ;)

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by Shortbus
Honestly it'd be cheaper for you to make a quick trip to NY and pick your bike up yourself then just bring her back home. I think you usually don't have to pay taxes on stuff you bring in with you as long as its personal possession not intended for sale etc. Is that right?

You might have to sometimes argue a bit with the customs but it should be allright.

Christian -
Ye, i'm jut not sure if i could get it past customs. Right, I'll send the e-mails...

P.S the FQ review link doesn't work for me...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Ye, i'm jut not sure if i could get it past customs. Right, I'll send the e-mails...

P.S the FQ review link doesn't work for me...
you won't be able to get it past customs (except the frame is used and looks like it) without paying.
but it will be cheaper then the price the UK distributor is charging.

you will have to pay 4.7% import duties and whatever the UK salestax is, if i remember it correctly its 17% right?

so overall you will pay about 22%.
the regular price for the frame is about 3600 USD + 22% = 4392 USD

still about 1100 below the UK retail.

i might be wrong on the US retail though :)

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
What about getting someone to send it as a gift?

I have done it in the past for some of my customers. Actually, I can't think of an instance where it didn't work.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by Jesus

I have done it in the past for some of my customers. Actually, I can't think of an instance where it didn't work.
Yeh I heard about that. What do you have to do 9form or whatever wise) to make it a 'gift'

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Originally posted by Jesus

JESUS cheated customs!!! I feel a lot better about myself all of a sudden :p

The gift thing might only work for up-to-a-certain-amount declared values. keep an eye out...

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Yeh I heard about that. What do you have to do 9form or whatever wise) to make it a 'gift'
No, just write a letter saying Happy Birthday, blah blah blah etc...
and you should be fine.

prerogative

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Danvers, MA
Get or print a receipt for a lower amount - say a few hundred USD. I doubt customs would believe you paid a few grand for the frame . . . and they shouldn't challenge it if the cost is not too low. This will pay for flight, and a few days to hang around NY.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by prerogative
Get or print a receipt for a lower amount - say a few hundred USD. I doubt customs would believe you paid a few grand for the frame . . . and they shouldn't challenge it if the cost is not too low. This will pay for flight, and a few days to hang around NY.
Ye, staple a receipt to it. That's a good idea.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Stick it on the outide or whatever?
On the outside, you have to put 3 copies of an invoice. On the invoice say it's valued at say $250 USD, and describe the frame in detail.

Then, inside the box, put a handwritten letter saying Happy Birthday, sorry I couldn't buy you anything, but here is my old frame that I had laying around that you said you might like to have someday. I know it's old, but I got it repainted and polished everything up for you.

How's that!

prerogative

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Danvers, MA
Say / document you were traveling for business. Customs will not critique you as much on items brought back if travel is for business purposes.

Get your story straight either way, as they may ask for additional information. Have all supporting info in your head - company, reason, etc.

Good luck

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
the downside of a receipt that says 250 bucks is if (and its MORE than likely lately) the airline looses your frame, they'll repay you a hefty 250$ for a brooklyn frame. That could also hurt...

Christian -

DudeB

Chimp
Sep 6, 2003
north, Finland
I dont want to force anyone into cheating customs.. but you can always take your own frameset (whateverbike) to nYc, give it to someone and then bring back your "own" frameset (BMW)?
I dont think they are going to check the names of the bike or anything, you just clear goods through customs and when you come back..your goods are declared..

easy :D