Quantcast

Anyone have any trigger time on the Intense SS?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Has anyone out there in the Intranetz lands ridden the new Intense SS?

I sold my 4x squishy bike this year in favor of rocking only the hard tail. While this is great for 90% of the time, it would be nice to have something with a little give when I try to do dumber and dumber things.

I am a part of the "I have a bit of an eating problem" set, as I like food, and I don't jog, I am on the tubby end. Thoughts on how this frame might hold up under my inability to ride like anything other than a bulldozer?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
This isn't for 4x. I am much happier on my HT then I was on my squish bike.

This is more for bigger dirt jumps, when I am trying to hurt myself without the benefit of a full DH bike, etc.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i rode an SS at the sea otter just as a demo, and it was really fun. it felt similar to my sx trail, but it had a lighter build and felt a little more lively overall. i was pretty impressed.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Really? See, that's what I want to know.

Now I need to put that stimilus money to work!

springfish

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Hood River, Oregon
I've been riding a SS for over a month now. So far so good, it handles everything I throw at it without argument. The BB is very low, so if you plan on doing trail riding you'll want to keep an eye on your crank length.

The bike is built for fun and loves getting airborne!

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
What's your build?
How deep into the pocket book did you have to go?
Any regrets?

Starting to salivate over this, and had a dream about it last night. Think I want one.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Since my wife is preggo, this munchkin will be parked for some time.

Maybe she'd let me troll around it to make sure the QR seat collar works.

Yeah, I want one for myself too.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Would she sell it to me?
It's pink, which oddly works for me.
She's knocketeded up, so she really shouldn't be dirt jumping, or humping for that matter.

Consider it the first kick to Jr's college fund...

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
are all those yours/wife? damn thats nice! hahah in my point of view (can say much since I haven't ridden it) is they made a spot on bicycle for SS and all around fun. With 6,6 of travel (which is more than really enough for slopestyle) they managed a slack, short a light bicycle, which in my book says it all. Plus its just beautiful

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
C'mon, its pinked out, and I needs it.

Convince her to sell it.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Yea, I agree with you there. The one with the custom colored links was even hotter.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Has anyone out there in the Intranetz lands ridden the new Intense SS?

I sold my 4x squishy bike this year in favor of rocking only the hard tail. While this is great for 90% of the time, it would be nice to have something with a little give when I try to do dumber and dumber things.

I am a part of the "I have a bit of an eating problem" set, as I like food, and I don't jog, I am on the tubby end. Thoughts on how this frame might hold up under my inability to ride like anything other than a bulldozer?
Get a dog. :monkey:

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
I got to demo one on about a 1.5 hr ride with a decent 'mini freeride' section...basically a pedally bmxy style singletrack - lots of berms, little kickers, a couple ladders, etc. It's a fuggin sweet bike.

The VPP keeps it super planted and just feeling really 'stable' while climbing. Not like the weird 'tugging' I've felt when riding a Nomad. Much nicer bike than the Nomad IMO.

Then when you drop in, the thing just felt uber plush and fast. I'm not getting one this year but it's on the short list for next season. Only real drawback I found is if you want it for an all-mtn type bike, the top tube is so low you need a reallllly long seatpost - I'm 5'10"ish and was completely maxing out the post length for climbing.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
But can it climb? Will it actually work as an all mountain bike? I really like the idea of a mini-dh bike that can climb...
Go back and read my post please. Only other note is the one I rode was a single ring 32-tooth, which was just fine for the trail I rode (only about 1k vert climbing, nothing terribly steep). Not sure how different it'd feel running a granny ring.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Yeah, I got that you need a long seatpost. But I could tell you that without ever touching the bike. :)

What I want to know is if it actually climbs, or if the slack headtube has you wandering all over the place? You say the VPP keeps it planted which is great, but how about bobbing about? Does it only rock on the downhills? Does it moto on the flats too?

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Yeah it climbs great (if you like slack bikes). But like I said, I didn't get to try climbing with a smaller ring, just the 32. Best way I can describe its climbing/pedaling/flats feel is super planted. Like you were on a stable platform, just totally dead level with the trail. It felt a lot better climbing than my Prophet MX, FWIW. They are similar angles (both pretty slack), so I guess it all depends on how you like your bikes to feel. If you think climbing demands a 69-degree HA, this isn't the bike for you. That said, the one I rode had a Fox 36 TALAS and I never felt the need to lower the fork for climbing.

It can hold its own on the ups for sure.

p.s. the guy I demoed it from said he uses his almost exclusively as his all-mtn bike and he has his pick of the full Intense stable (regular 6.6, 29ers, 5.5, etc.)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
My wife now owns JD's photoshoot bike pictured below...she LOVES it, she did some DH runs on it when she got it, and raced a pedally ass superD on it. This will be her whistler bike this summer as well.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Stick are you brining your daughter to Whistler? I am trying to make it out with wife and the little guy but this will be me first time as a family.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Stick are you brining your daughter to Whistler? I am trying to make it out with wife and the little guy but this will be me first time as a family.
Ya man, this will be our 3rd trip with the goose (her nickname). We went in 06' when she was just a yr old, last year when she was 2 and this time she will almost be 3.
It is an awesome trip every time. Last 2 times Leighs parents have gone with us so we had baby sitters, this time they are not. But shandro told me there is some cool nanny/babysitting services in town, so we might go that route. Since both of us ride, we need to figure something out.
But our kid loves whistler even at her young age, she likes the lake a lot, loves going in the bike trailer on the town XC trails, loves the gondola and going to top of mtn, watching people ride at skate park, etc....If your chick doesnt ride and can watch your son while you ride, you are set, but like I said, the stuff you do as a family is super fun too (non bike stuff).

Sorry I derailed the thread bigtime.....but Leighs slopestyle is her favorite bike she has ever ridden, but doesnt have a ton of hrs on it yet.