Quantcast

Anyone have experience with Pedros tools?

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali

I am thinking about getting their pro mechanic tool kit, the one with the abs case. Seems a bit cheaper than pieceing a kit together. I am wonderin if anyone has any experience with their tools.

The stuff that I have seen is 50/50. The tire levers were great, the seat pack tore quickly(one made with recycled tubes) and the multi allen I had snapped were it was bolted together. It seems hard to mess up a cone wrench tho.

It'd be nice to consolidate down to a little box, foldign table, and truing stand.

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
I don't like their multi tools, mine broke with a little bit of torque too, but I really like their shop tools, I have a full allen set that are going strong, a few cone wrenchs which are...well cone wrenchs, but overall good tools

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I use a mixture of both Park and Pedros tools. Generally, I prefer the Pedros stuff - it seems to be made of harder metal than the Park tools.

I don't usually use multi-tools except as emergency stuff, so that's not really something that concerms me.

But my answer is that Pedros tools are extremely high quality - they get a big :thumb: from me!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i have a cassette tool from pedro's (i think it was pedro's, yellow packaging) that broke mysteriously. Real disappointed, because I don't buy tools that often, and am used to craftsman/husky etc. that were made in the early 60's.

The thing just cracked and some of the teeth came out...imagine a ball pressed against the wall, the circular tool is no longer circular....C instead of O? I think that's indicative enough of their quality for me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sandwich said:
The thing just cracked and some of the teeth came out...imagine a ball pressed against the wall, the circular tool is no longer circular....C instead of O? I think that's indicative enough of their quality for me.
Like most things, it's stupid to base your entire opinion of a company's quality on a single incidence of breakage.

Defects happen to the best of companies. One instance of one broken tool is NOT "indicative enough of their quality"...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it's enough to me. none of my crappy screwdrivers have ever stripped, none of my sockets have ever cracked like that. Defects happen, yeah, but so does using crappy aluminum and poor tolerances.

please remember this is an internet forum...just because I think pedro's tools are not of the utmost quality doesn't mean they aren't, nor does it mean everybody should follow my advice. I just think the tool was poorly made, and they could have done a better job.

Sorry you find that so offensive?

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Sandwich - did they replace it for you?

I'm not as much worried about the tools as I am about the case and pallets(I think that is what they are called). I don't want to be halfway on a trip and duct taping the thing closed and hoping it doesn't explode in the back of the truck and launch tools everywhere causing complete disarray and panic. Which would then send me into a tool throwing rage where literally tens of people could be hit with the blunt end of a headset wrench or magnetic tray. You really have to think far ahead with all purchase to see how they could affect the lives of others.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
In my experience, Pedros is only second to Park in bicycle specific tools. I generally like the park stuff I have a bit better but Pedros is really nice stuff.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i didn't ask them to. I know I should have, and there probably is a garuntee, but I lost the receipt/packaging and I really don't use it that often. It still works, so it's not a total loss, but it seems to me that a tool such as this should be a little more durable. I have no idea if park would have been better or what, but I just remember pulling out this tool and having seen it cracked, I didn't even abuse it. I would wager that you'd probably be ok, but if it were me I'd look elsewhere, particularly towards park tool. They sure do seem to have their **** together. Again, if you ran into the same problem I did, you could probably get things straightened out. I guess I'm just not used to tool failure, unless it involves trying to take out a phillips head screw that had been rusted into a car frame for thirty years. Seriously, in the three cars (or so) i have experience rebuilding, no tool has ever failed me except for a screwdriver (screw stripped) and a rachet (after being used as a hammer). No one socket has cost me 10 dollars or more. At that price, it should be damned near impossible to break, or made out of gold, right? I don't see why it failed, and because of that I would try any other company before I would go back.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Sandwich said:
ps did you lose your trophy?"??

no.. just put this one up cause it looked a little cleaner and sharper. Made one with the Cheat and his gold tooth but it was kinda tough to see what he was doing.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i use a mix of Hozan, Pedros, Craftsman, and Park. i don't think i'd ever buy a huge tool kit. too much money, especially when i can get Craftsman stuff on sale, or cheaper.

i've been using a Craftsman tool box for a while now, and am ready to invest in a CH Ellis case. a guy down here has one, and it is schweeeeeeeeet.

http://www.promechanics.com/websales/ellis.htm

randomness: Park's Pro pump pissed me off. broke after not even a month's worth of use. called up Park and Calvin sent me the parts i needed to fix it. that was cool. i, too, use a Pedros cassette tool. i bought it before Park started using the little guide on their's.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
I have been looking at the CH Ellis cases for some time. They are what prompted my interest in the Pedros kit. A case and a couple pallets looks to be 200-250ish. I have most of the tools already, well more than enough tools. For not much more than the price of the case/pallets, I could get a complete second set with case. Last time I saw the C-Dale mechanic he had a set, it seemed rather nice. I have also peeped the Ellis setup, and its way nice. A bonus to the Ellis is you can pick and choose your tools.(Although I could just replace some of the pedros stuff as well)

Have you looked into the UCI mechanic lisc. at all? I haven't gone to any schools but have more than the required shop experience. Just worried that I don't have enough of the detailed road experience. Something I might try to do over the winter.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i like the idea of an Ellis set-up 'cause it's quite customizable. it also seems that they have a good reputation. customization and good rep...two thumbs up in my book. since i already have the tools i'll (more than likely ever) need, i don't really want to risk getting a kit like the Pedros, unless i know the case is top knotch. i mean, if it is high quality, you could get that pro kit, and sell the tools you don't need, or want, and save even more money. if the case sucks, then you might regret the purchase.

i have 2 months solid (as in, every day, sunrise to sundown, working with 20 bikes) of road experience, and i did team support at 24hr race a couple years ago. i like to think i'm pretty competent around bikes and wheels (forks and shocks are another story). need to familiarize myself with more hubs, and such. but yeah, i want to do UBI after i get out of college.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
I have been working in a shop for several years now, just never as a full time mechanic. Since I don't do wrench day in and out i'm not that quick. Front suspension isn't that difficult, just be neat and take your time, the correct manual and tools help allot. Have only done a couple shocks, mostly Floats and a Cane Creek. Bled many Hayes, Hope, Shimano, haven't done and Avid yet. Good at frame prep, never had to do a real alignment(where a stay was off), dropouts and deraileur hangers are ok. Built wheels, regualar, a Kysrium and a Spinergy(its like punching your self in the groin, well... more like knowing you about to punch yourself in the groin - the inevitabilitliy(sp?)) Never had to glue a tubular or install an Alpha Q fork(have JB welded an intake manifold tho) Never had to overhaul a Campy hub. I think it comes down to the differnce of playing(wrenching) on your own stuff and having it be ok versus being paid to do it 100% and then being held accountable.

Just nervous about talking myself up, then having a track racer eat it after his tire comes unglued, wheel tacos and the chain breaks all at the same time.

Probably call Pedros tommorow and try to find out who makes their case.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah......i had the pleasure of rebuilding a wheel this summer using a frame, brakes, and a ziptie. that's not fun, but it held up for at least 2K miles. god damn i loved this past summer. i was hoping there'd be crashes so that i could work on bikes. plus i got paid with beer. i want a job at a shop. bah.

let us know what they say about the case.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sandwich said:
Sorry you find that so offensive?
I don't find it offensive at all.

I find it silly.

Just considering that there's not one company in the history of biking, not even Chris King (and not Park either), who hasn't produced bad parts at some time or another. If you break one part, one time, and don't even give the company a chance to make it right (you didn't even call to find out if they'd say something like: "Yes, we got a bad batch of <material>, we are replacing the few that escaped out of the factory")...

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out that basing your entire opinion of everything Pedros makes from this one occurance is a little unfair. I have no special feelings towards Pedros, but there are many, many occurances of a small problem one time causing someone to recommend against the company for eternity.

You're welcome to hold any opinion you want, I'm simply offering the flip side to it for his (and your) consideration.