Quantcast

Anyone have some good martini recipes?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've finally got some barware for my home bar, including a cool martini set. Just wondering if anyone's got some good martini recipes. And please don't give me links to recipe sites. I can do that myself. I am wondering what recipes YOU have that you like and use.

Muchos thankus.

So far, I've only made two good martinis, given my limited bar stock (a cosmo recipe and a mandarin metropolitan one). Both are VERY tasty. My stock only includes three kinds of vodka (vanilla, mandarin, regular), triple sec, vermouth, and various juices.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've never made one, but i like 'em really dry w/ just a touch of vermouth, and some big fat green olives. i don't drink 'em all that much though, and never at home. come to think if it, i don't know if i've ever made a mixed drink at home.

margaritas using a bottle mix doesn't count.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
i've never made one, but i like 'em really dry w/ just a touch of vermouth, and some big fat green olives. i don't drink 'em all that much though, and never at home. come to think if it, i don't know if i've ever made a mixed drink at home.

margaritas using a bottle mix doesn't count.
The house we bought came with a bar, and dammit, I plan on using it. :D

I have a bottle of vermouth and a bottle of green olives I have not opened. I need to mix a dry martini. I have not tried that one yet. I am afraid to eat an olive. I got them for Xmas with a martini set, and god only knows how old they are. I need MMcG and Douglas to come over so I can get them loaded and feed them the olives.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I like gin martinis...

Go with something good like Bombay Sapphire.

1. Put ice with some cold tap water in your glasses to chill them whilst you make the martinis...

2. In a shaker put in several (mmm.. maybe 6 or so cubes of ice). Pour in an 8 count of gin (per martini).

3. Add a cap full of vermouth... or just swirl the vermouth bottle over the gin without pouring any in as I often do.

4. Shake vigorously!!! I usually do it for a minute or so to bruise the gin. Also, I love my martinis to be chock full of ice crystals.

5. Dump out ice water from the martini glasses and pour in the gin.

6. Add a couple large olives... or you can try some stuffed with bleu cheese, or a cocktail onion. I personally like plain ol' green olives.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Yummy & simple...

Dirty Goose:
Grey Goose & green olive juice, garnish with green olive, voila!

I like mine with lots of olive juice :drool:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Bombay Sapphire gin, a touch of vermouth, and ice
shake well
strain in to a glass
serve with a twist (lemon/lime peel) or olives.

For a dirty martini, add some of the juice from the olive jar to step one.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
N8 said:
I like gin martinis...

Go with something good like Bombay Sapphire.

1. Put ice with some cold tap water in your glasses to chill them whilst you make the martinis...

2. In a shaker put in several (mmm.. maybe 6 or so cubes of ice). Pour in an 8 count of gin (per martini).

3. Add a cap full of vermouth... or just swirl the vermouth bottle over the gin without pouring any in as I often do.

4. Shake vigorously!!! I usually do it for a minute or so to bruise the gin. Also, I love my martinis to be chock full of ice crystals.

5. Dump out ice water from the martini glasses and pour in the gin.

6. Add a couple large olives... or you can try some stuffed with bleu cheese, or a cocktail onion. I personally like plain ol' green olives.

If gin puts you off... you can do the same using a good eastern Euopean vodka... not Gray Goose (what do the French know about vodka anyhow...???)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
N8 said:
I like gin martinis...
BikeGeek said:
Bombay Sapphire gin, a touch of vermouth, and ice
Cool. I will try these. I need to buy a bottle of gin (it's on the list).

punkassean said:
Yummy & simple...

Dirty Goose:

Olive juice? I know what olive oil is, but I have never heard of olive juice. I like green olives. :thumb:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
N8 said:
If gin puts you off... you can do the same using a good eastern Euopean vodka... not Gray Goose (what do the French know about vodka anyhow...???)
My taste in vodka is really not refined/developed enough to be able to taste the difference from one vodka to the next. I have two bottles of Absolut and a bottle of Stoli in the freezer.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
Cool. I will try these. I need to buy a bottle of gin (it's on the list).

Olive juice? I know what olive oil is, but I have never heard of olive juice. I like green olives. :thumb:

It's the juice out of the olive jar... just pour in a couple tea spoons...

:p

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I Are Baboon said:
My taste in vodka is really not refined/developed enough to be able to taste the difference from one vodka to the next. I have two bottles of Absolut and a bottle of Stoli in the freezer.
I know what you mean, I'm the same way. I do know however that I prefer the glass bottle vodkas over the plastic bottle ones. :)

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Purists will insist on their martinis being stirred versus it being shaken as James Bond would have it. Google it and you can read up on why this is. They also view any vodka martinis as "knock-offs" of the traditional gin, dry vermouth, and lemon twist/olive combo. Personally I like 'em all :drool: . If you like sake you can also do a saketini: 2 oz. gin, 1 oz. sake, and garnish with lychee.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:

If'n you take to drinking vodka martini's your taste for good vodka will not be long in developing.

I use Skyy vodka for regular duty-martini use... if it's a special occation then I use something else.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BikeGeek said:
I know what you mean, I'm the same way. I do know however that I prefer the glass bottle vodkas over the plastic bottle ones. :)
Yeah, the basic consumer in me says "Quality vodka does not come in plastic bottles." :D

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Don't forget to learn to make a Chick-tini (aka Cosmpolitian, Cosmo..etc)...

I'm still working on mine but there is a good thread about them someplace on here...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
punkassean said:
Grey Goose is the only vodka worth buying IMO :D Drink some of that and you'll know what I'm talking 'bout.
punkassean said:
Yummy & simple...

Dirty Goose:

..with all the olive juice you pour in your martini how can you tell for sure?

:D

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I had a "Mexican Martini" over Christmas break.

Tequila
Contreau
A squeeze of lime and some salt

Sooooo tasty.

It may have had a bit of juice in it, but I don't think so.

The Ito

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:
It's the juice out of the olive jar... just pour in a couple tea spoons...

:p
I was told you're not supposed to use the olive juice, like for a dirty martini. I heard that there are toxins in the jucie itself and its a no no.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Brian HCM#1 said:
I was told you're not supposed to use the olive juice, like for a dirty martini. I heard that there are toxins in the jucie itself and its a no no.

Now that doesn't make a lick of sense...

...but if you want to drink it 'dirty' and toss the olives then you can always buy a bottle of Dirty Tony's... I have a bottle on hand.

http://www.dirtytonys.net/index.html

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
The house we bought came with a bar, and dammit, I plan on using it. :D

I have a bottle of vermouth and a bottle of green olives I have not opened. I need to mix a dry martini. I have not tried that one yet. I am afraid to eat an olive. I got them for Xmas with a martini set, and god only knows how old they are. I need MMcG and Douglas to come over so I can get them loaded and feed them the olives.
olives = :nope:

loaded part = :D

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
Hey, we've got places to crash (a spare bedroom and a very nice futon), and a new riding season is right around the corner. :)
cool......my season starts in 29 days in cali !!! :D :thumb: :cool:

2 1/2 oz. Cabo Wabo Reposado Tequila,
1 1/2 tsp. Dry Vermouth,
1 Lemon twist,
1 Olive,

Pour tequila and vermouth into a mixing glass half filled with ice. Stir well, strain into martini glass. Garnish with lemon or olive.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:heart:Valentine's Martini :heart:

Ingredients
5 ounces of freezing Chopin vodka
5 ounces of chilled ice wine
11 green seedless grapes at room temperature
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
2 frozen green grapes​

The mix
Add all of your liquid ingredients to a blender of food processor and puree.
Strain into a cocktail shaker 1/2 full of cracked ice.
Shake like crazy for a full minute while serenading your guest(s).
Strain your amazing martini into 2 freezing cocktail glasses.
Float a frozen grape in each glass and feel the love!​

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
ito said:
I had a "Mexican Martini" over Christmas break.
That's not a mexican martini, it's a MARGATINI!! Haha, I coined that term years ago but can't be the only one to have thought of it...good tequila, splash of cointreu, splash of lime juice (gotta be fresh), all in a shaker with ice. Strain into a chilled glass with a lime twist. Yum.

I tend to agree with the purists who say the only true martini is gin with a couple drops of vermouth and an olive or a twist. (I actually add a little vermouth to a chilled glass, swirl it around, then dump it out, leaving just enough to coat the glass. The rest is gin.) If you say "I want a martini" that's what you should get. I can concede a "vodka martini" (if you call it a "vodka martini" as opposed to just "martini") but all these other drinks are not martinis just because they come in a martini glass...

As for the brand of gin, Junipero is my current fave, it's made by the anchor brewing company in San Francisco. Tanqueray No. 10 is next, followed closely by Sappire...yeah I like the good stuff but I like to savor it, quality over quantity.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I didn't think you were supposed to freeze your liquors - it dulls the taste...

Anyways, I have a new vodka I'm pretty impressed with - it's called "Level" and it's just a few dollars less than the Grey Goose. (BTW - for a chocolate martini, you HAVE to use the better vodkas - cheaper ones like SKYY or Absolut just kill the drink).

I like the following - though don't ask me for recipes ;) Steve makes the drinks

Grasshopper
Cosmo (Absolut Kurant makes a neat twist on this)
Lemon Drop
Grape Knee-High

(yes yes, these are ALL chick drinks)

Steve likes the chocolate martini, but I confess it's not my favorite

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
My new favorite - the French Martini (again - more a cocktail than a martini - but I guarantee your girl will like it)

Vodka (high quality - we used Ketel or Grey Goose this past weekend)
Chambord
Pineapple Juice

ohhhhhhh