Quantcast

Anyone have these kind of stem posts?

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
I have my stem post as far down in the tube as possible, and that gives me a perfect height for uphilling and general cruising, but once I go DOWN I would like to lower the seat, but can't. I was thinking of getting one of those kinda stems, that you can lower a full 3" with the flick of a switch...

:help:
Anybody knows the pros and the cons on those

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you mean the "adjustable" seatposts? I rode with a guy a couple of months ago who had one and it seemed to work ok... though he spent a good amount of time trying to get it dialed in to where it wouldn't "self adjust" under his own weight.

you don't have many posts, so I'm guessing your new to the board/sport... but you can get a quick release collar for you seatpost that will let you raise/lower it very easily. Any decent bike shop will know about them and they should stock at least a few.

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
It's called a descender post, and retails for $180.00. I saw it in the November issues of Mountain Bike Action. I dunno! Maybe It has not yet hit the market?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've seen them advertised in Dirt Rag. It's kinda like the old school "Hite Rite" but automatic, right? I can't remember the brand name. Have you tried the Dirt Rag forums?

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
jacksonpt said:
I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you mean the "adjustable" seatposts? I rode with a guy a couple of months ago who had one and it seemed to work ok... though he spent a good amount of time trying to get it dialed in to where it wouldn't "self adjust" under his own weight.

you don't have many posts, so I'm guessing your new to the board/sport... but you can get a quick release collar for you seatpost that will let you raise/lower it very easily. Any decent bike shop will know about them and they should stock at least a few.
Yeah! I'm new to the Forum, but not to biking. I have a quick release, but It's as far down as possible right now, can't get it any lower. :confused:

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i'v seen two..one was broken and the other didn't work well.
so in my limited experience i'd say they suck.
kai-

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
SoCalsurfer said:
Yeah! I'm new to the Forum, but not to biking. I have a quick release, but It's as far down as possible right now, can't get it any lower. :confused:
You lost me. How do you expect some product to help it go down the extra 3" if it's already down as far as it goes? :confused:

J

JRB

If the post is as low as it can go, what will a different accomplish????

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Couldn't you just cut a few inches off the bottom of the seatpost? Would that solve your problem or am I misunderstanding?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
binary visions said:
Couldn't you just cut a few inches off the bottom of the seatpost? Would that solve your problem or am I misunderstanding?

Ditto...
Get yourself a nice hacksaw. Put the seatpost in at the correct height (for climbing) and put a piece of masking tape on it to mark the line where it goes into the seat tube.

Pull the whole thing out and cut the post about 2in. below where the tape is.
Replace.

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
BikeGeek said:
You lost me. How do you expect some product to help it go down the extra 3" if it's already down as far as it goes? :confused:
I'll try to explain it better. (I'm Swedish, living in L.A for the last 16 years, but still. English is NOT my first language)

It does NOT move, there's a built in "shock" kinda, that with the touch of a button, collapses 3 inches, making the seat 3 inches lower, WITHOUT actually lowering the stem post. And with a 2nd touch of the button (and a gentle ass lift) The post comes back up the 3 inches....

:)

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
binary visions said:
It would solve the DOWNHILLING problem, but NOT the UPHILLING :p , cause then the seat would be in the too low for climbing position at all times.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
He wants to be able to move his seat down for descending without having to cut the post to make it useless for climbing. On bikes with full seatubes, there is no problem, but I am guessing he has a bike such as the Specialized Enduro where if you lower your seatpost too much it will hit the shock. I have no idea about these adjustable seatposts, but you could check out the Titec Telescoping posts.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You mean a 'seat post,' not a 'stem post.' The 'stem' is the part of the bike that holds the handlebars. Your English is still a hell of a lot better than my German (only foriegn language I speak...).

I agree with Kadvang...you should look at a telescoping seatpost. It's like two seatposts, one inside the other, so you can lower the inner post without lowering the outer post onto your shock. I think Titec's is called the Scoper.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The telescopic seatposts won't help you adjust the seat height while you ride, by the way...they just make it possible to get a full range of adjustment on certain bikes without full length seattubes.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
MikeD said:
You mean a 'seat post,' not a 'stem post.' The 'stem' is the part of the bike that holds the handlebars. Your English is still a hell of a lot better than my German (only foriegn language I speak...).

I agree with Kadvang...you should look at a telescoping seatpost. It's like two seatposts, one inside the other, so you can lower the inner post without lowering the outer post onto your shock. I think Titec's is called the Scoper.

MD
Wait...the SoCalSurfer from Venice is really a German dude?

J

JRB

All of these things were already covered Lisa. Catch up please.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
dh girlie said:
Wait...the SoCalSurfer from Venice is really a German dude?
He's Swedish. I speak a little German. His English is better than my German.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ok, so you're clear, then...?

He's Swedish, I'm American, and his foriegn language skills are better than mine.

Just wanted to make sure you got it.

:)

MD

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
dh girlie said:
Yeah...it's kinda funny that a swedish guy is called socalsurfer...I was picturing a Jeff Spicoli type of guy! :D
How do you know I don't look like Spiccoli? :nope: I'm Swedish, meaning I'm blonde and blue eyes :p

Yeah! SEAT post, than's for clearing that up for me. I'll be checking out those telescoping posts.

Thanx again :cool:

And yeah! I surf.....ALL THE TIME!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
That seems like a pretty cool deal. i've thought something like that would be a nice idea, but i'll stick with a Thomson seatpost and Salsa quick release and take a quick second to deal with it.
i've also found that finding a happy medium seatpost heighth works great for pedaling and doing techy trails and dh. The only time i slam my seat anymore is when i'm doing stuff way over my head, like jumpin and drops and stuff.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, skooks, glad the old avatar is back...but shouldn't it be thanksgiving-y instead of Christmas-y yet?