Quantcast

anyone hear of this avid problem?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
BEAUster said:
the sudden explosion of the caliper? what to do?
Yah, that happened to me once. There is a threaded metal inside the red cap that holds the assembly together. Sometimes the red knob and the threaded piece move independtly and the metal piece comes loose.

I called Avid when it happened to me and they took care of me. There were averse to telling me how to fix it myself though...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yeah ive seen it before.the way to tell if they are loose is to pull on the lever firmly and see if the caliper arm jumps sideways some.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
if it wont go back together with the parts you have there, you should be able to score some small parts from Avid....

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Castle said:
if it wont go back together with the parts you have there, you should be able to score some small parts from Avid....
how the hell ya been doin sean?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
not to thread hi-jack, but I totalled my car last sat. on the way to snowshoe!!!

How much longer on the arm?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Castle said:
not to thread hi-jack, but I totalled my car last sat. on the way to snowshoe!!!

How much longer on the arm?

daaaaaaaaaaamn homes hope you and your passengers were ok.
the arm is getting there im in a wrist brace that wraps my hand and forearm but i can take it off and shower otherwise i have to wear it all the time. go back again on august 3 and will update with a thread still. a couple months from light trail riding but slowly but surely its gettin there. hopefully i will start physical therapy next month.

here ya go:linky poo to the last thread

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92358&highlight=arm+update

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Hi,

My 14 year son just snapped both front and rear Avid Mech calipers off just at the mounting tabs in the same night on his urban hardtail. He was at the skate park doing 180 and 360 spin jumps etc.

Does any one know which disc brakes offer a stronger mounting body etc.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
hey you hi jacked the tread!!! but to answer your question. all the others have a stronber mount but the avid mounts are also really strong. there is probibly another under leiying problem like the main mounting bracket screws were not tight. they are a bolt that you have to check often!!!

no more hi jacking threads!!!!

BEAUster

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Boston, MA
well, the lbs just sent it back to avid, so it should be ass good as new

also, the red dial has been loosening a lot lately, is that do to the whole caliper coming loose?