Quantcast

Anyone here thru-hike the AT?

Bad DNA

Chimp
Jul 31, 2011
Damn -- copying YOU? Really. And just when did you stumble across my name and take it as your own? Originality isn't your strong suit. But you're clearly overly sensitive and hostile. Why is that?

I stand by my read of Bryson's tripe. Not fit for privy paper, let alone reading.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Oh sure, you show up 5 years after I register with my user name here and register with a very similar one. I've got nearly 3500 posts here and you have 2 posts in a 5 year old thread that you resurrected. But I'm the one who copied you.

Sensitive and hostile, let me ponder that. It might be that my mom didn't give me enough attention or my dad hit me with his belt when I was a kid. Who knows. Are you a shrink too?

Bad DNA

Chimp
Jul 31, 2011
3500 posts. I bow to you, obi wan.

Seriously, I was asked by an acquaintance about hiking the A.T. and what I thought of Bryson's book. They sent me a link to the forum here. Someone else here posted about Bryson and his absolutely abysmal book about A.T. thru hikes -- couldn't hike, and frankly isn't that much of a human in person. I've met him. I've read his book. I know what he 'hiked' and he is lame. His story is worse. I posted here to express my view. (why aren't old threads archived if this community doesn't want them revisited?)

Perhaps I'm missing it, but I don't see you in the thread before I posted. You attack me for posting. I have nothing to hide here, nor initially any desire to trash you. However, I've had the nickname since the early 80s. I have no issue with someone else using it. (You aren't the only one - oh, the horrors) Until they become hostile to me. It would not take you much effort to find out who I am.

Tell me again why you started off with the superiority nonsense? You clearly have at least a primary education, or you likely wouldn't have landed a ivy wife. Does she use 'intelligent polysyllabic words' that frustrate you, too? I hike. I ride. You ride. You hike. So what. Doesn't really bother me how you came by your forum name. Frankly, I don't really care, but you care about mine? Seems a bit childish, no? But it seems to matter to you. And in the hiking world, it is the name by which I am known. So it is the name I use regarding hiking topics. If you have a problem with that -- it's really your problem alone.

I'm neither troll nor concerned. Back to the topic of the OP, and the reason of my first post, I'll say that there are much finer reads of A.T. hiking, even humorous, than Bryson's garbage. Anyone reading this could look up Model T's 'Happy side of misery', Jean Deed's Mountains to climb, Lynn Setzer's 'A Season on the A.T.', Shafer's 'Walking with Spring' or a hundred other titles -- all a far better use of dead trees than Bryson.

Nice way to chase folks away from the forum, too. In a different environment, we might even get on well -- homebrew, hiking, biking. But your Boston yankee snobbery doesn't impress me much - but I'll be sure to not bother here again. Wasted far too many keystrokes on this nonsense.

splat

Nam I am
Perhaps I'm missing it,
yep you are missing it.

I'm neither troll nor concerned.
that is the proper attitude, you need a tough skin around here
Nice way to chase folks away from the forum, too. In a different environment, we might even get on well -- homebrew, hiking, biking. But your Boston yankee snobbery doesn't impress me much - but I'll be sure to not bother here again. Wasted far too many keystrokes on this nonsense.
Now you haven't looked around the forum much, have you ?

If you Did you would see , it is really nothing personal ( well Maybe a little since you did steal his name ) , the lounge is full of all sorts of Stupidity. with some serious subjects thrown in for good measure.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
They should convert the AT to a bike trail. Hiking is just walking and it's just stupid. It's not my fault you can't get an auto loan and can't get a car or one of those stupid Vanagan hippie mobiles that those people like to cut me off on the highway in...