Quantcast

anyone know about oil lighter than 2,5wt?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
well just what the title says, im looking for fork oil or shock oil thats lighter than 2,5wt, anyone know if such an oil existes and where to get it?

tnx

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
why would you need such a light oil? i bet you could get it at a hobby shop, since i believe they use very light oil in RC car shocks, but it comes in small bottles.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
mcA896 said:
why would you need such a light oil? i bet you could get it at a hobby shop, since i believe they use very light oil in RC car shocks, but it comes in small bottles.

its for a wb damper that i could swear has some hydraulic lock with the stock 2,5 oil, i put 5wt in it and now its horrible so i think maybe if i go with a lighter than stock i could get it to almost go away.
that or ill have to open the valve up or try reshimming but oil change is the easiest way to do it.

MDBullit

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
Bethesda, MD
couldn't hydraulic lock just be solved with less oil? Or by hydraulic lock do you mean the oil is too thick to get through a hole quickly?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
vitox said:
its for a wb damper that i could swear has some hydraulic lock with the stock 2,5 oil, i put 5wt in it and now its horrible so i think maybe if i go with a lighter than stock i could get it to almost go away.
that or ill have to open the valve up or try reshimming but oil change is the easiest way to do it.
If you're getting hydrostatic lock with 2.5wt oil, something is really screwed up in the valving, like they put a washer in there instead of a shim or something broke and is blocking the valve... I would revalve. Even if you can find the lighter oil, that's not a real fix.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
MDBullit said:
couldn't hydraulic lock just be solved with less oil? Or by hydraulic lock do you mean the oil is too thick to get through a hole quickly?

option b

you see, i always felt that the fork reacted harshly on sharp impacts but i kept blaming it on structural bind, but now that i used the wrong oil and the threshold for the fork not being able to compress came down to make the fork rigid on anytime the front wheel came up, im pretty sure it always was an issue with the compression circuit getting blocked at high shaft velocities.

too much oil would manifest itself after the cartridge gets heated up and volume increases.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ohio said:
If you're getting hydrostatic lock with 2.5wt oil, something is really screwed up in the valving, like they put a washer in there instead of a shim or something broke and is blocking the valve... I would revalve. Even if you can find the lighter oil, that's not a real fix.

im getting some of it with 2,5 not enough to make me sure that it was the valve, but now that i goofed up and put 5 in there, the sympthoms got so much more evident that i want to fix it permanently, ill go to wrk on the valve, i inspected it yesterday before filling it with oil and it looked ok though.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
RedLine offer an ultralight suspension oil called "LikeWater" (I'm not sh!tting you). That is around 1wt.

proanti1

Chimp
Sep 24, 2005
mcA896 said:
the lowest rc shock oil is 10 wt, its also on a different scale, not sae.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
that 2wt sounds very interesting, anyone know where to get it online?

and yes, i DID think about water, just not too convinced it will be much left in liquid state after a bit of dh.