Quantcast

Anyone know any riser bars with a long straight grip area?

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
So, I have an Azonic Double Wall 2.5" riser bar, and I have a problem. The part where the grips, shifters and levers mount up isn't straight for a long enough run, and my brake levers end up pointing up a bit. I like to have them in far so I can do one-finger braking, but it seems that there's no perfect combination to have them in far enough and still have the levers on the same plane as the grip.

Anyone know of any other bars with the straight grip part having a length of longer than 6 1/4", or of a way to solve my problem (I really don't see any other possible solution besides a different bar). By the way, the bar is uncut, and is 25.4mm.
I was thinking maybe a lower rise version of the same bar might solve the problem, but I don't have one to compare it to. I don't want to run my levers in more, or swap them out for shorter levers and lose leverage (Hope Mono Mini Levers).

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
You have lots of options, Truvativ Hozfellers, 25.4 or 31.8 & Funn DH bars have about 8" of flat area to work with, un-cut. EA 70's about 7" or so.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I used to run the DW bars and I know exactly what you are talking about. I ended up going with the Funn 'Full On' as I wanted a one inch rise in 28" and I run strandard stem size. The Funn were the best option. They seem to have just a touch less sweep FYI. If you do not need 28" bars, the Eastons have a fair amount of 'room' and a great feel to their sweep.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
FSA DH400s have pretty long ends; especially in 25.4. You didn't mention which brakes, but have you thought too of going to a one-finger lever? Sully at Rotec (Gravity Racing Compenents) makes (or at least made) them for Hayes.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Awesome suggestions! I'm looking into a Holzfeller bar, or a ProTaper or an Easton EA70. I have 27" bars right now, and they will all work well if they have long enough handles. My buddy has a bunch laying around, and is going to see if he has something for me.
As for which brakes, I did mention, but that's okay - Hope Mono Mini Levers. I also mentioned originally that I didn't want to swap levers because that would reduce my leverage, but that's okay, thanks anyway!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
As for which brakes, I did mention, but that's okay - Hope Mono Mini Levers. I also mentioned originally that I didn't want to swap levers because that would reduce my leverage, but that's okay, thanks anyway!
Double oops. That's what I get for skimming instead of reading. Hope your quest goes well. Oh, forgot to mention - uncut length on the DH400 is almost 28" and lot of straight real estate on the 25.4

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Azonic's suck for available mounting area. I have a set of SIC 75mm riser bars that have more than needed but the bends 13 * backsweep 3* up is a little odd. Just compare pic's of bar center bends to your Azonic to know what you don't want. Azonic's are like 8* back / 4* up. 2" riser bars should give plenty of options.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
EA70s, Protapers, Funn and Holzfellers will probably all work. I've owned all except the Protapers (but they are very similar to EA70s) and like to run my brakes as far in as possible- just to the point where I can reach the end of the shifter paddles- and never had a problem.

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
The sic chase bars I'm running have at least 10" of room and I've cut a little bit off the ends. I imagine the race model is similar but with less sweep. The 13 degree backsweep on the chase's definitely takes some getting used to but if you angle them further forward then you would normal bars you get great upsweep which I feel adds to the control of the bike. Good luck in your search. :cheers: