Quantcast

Anyone know ANYTHING about the new THE "Storm" leg armor??

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Just got done sewing the straps back on my Roach Rally FR pads AGAIN and I'm sick of it! Looking at either the Rally DH pads, which seem to be out of stock everywhere(haven't looked that hard yet), or this new THE Storm set. They look pretty promising, but I would probably hit 'em with a rattle can of flat black. The one thing I DON'T like about them is the fact that there is only one size: adult. I could get lucky and be the average size to fit them just right, but looking at my chicken legs now, I doubt it.
Feedback please!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Not to be rude, but I don't care what other pads you guys like. There's only been like 500 threads on leg armor and I'm not interested in starting another! I've tried or tried on all but the two mentioned above....

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Funny, I just heard about those this weekend. A local pro had them on for a race and my buddy talked to him about them. He (the local pro) said they were the best shin/knee guards he's ever tried.

And that's all I gotta say about that...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Just curious...but if the TLDs are so good...then why 3 pair? I've had one set of Roach FRs for like the last 3 years, just keep hitting the threads with pedal pins and then they tear out. The Roach DH pads and these THE Storms both attach the straps to the sides of the pad, away from the strike zone, rather than to the plastic gaurd itself...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Ididn't like them. Too squishy. I think it would transfer pain..er...I mean impacts very easily. I had some, they were very snug and comfy, the knee cap pauckered funny when your leg was straight, but like I said, you could practically fold them in half. I wouldn't get em if you plan on needing them!

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
ok...I have real world experience with them....They are the best Knee/Shin pads I have ever owned.
I know, that's a bold statement, but it's true. The only thing I don't like about them is that you have to take your shoes off to get them on. They seem to stay in place really well (Even durring impact). I have noticed after one season that the breathable material around the plastic is starting to stretch and tear..(It's similar to the light grey material Dianese uses on the body armor) I will post a pic when I get backto work on monday.

But, yep...they rock.

CJM

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
does anyone know the address for the THE site cos' when you search it comes up with all kinds of crap

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Man, I started this thread eons ago... was getting tired of sewing my straps back on my Roach FR pads with a big needle and a small vice grips. Bought the THEs...didn't like em. They ARE XC pads. Bought a set of Lopes Sig TLD pads.... takes 20 minutes to get suited up into them and there's just too much "stuff" involved with them. Been just foregoing the shin protection in favor of a BMX style kneepad, kudos to em, they work great! No slippage, I drive home in them nearly every time I put them on because I forget they're there. The other day though I caught an unmoving tree right in the lower front shin/ankle area and decided it's time to rethink my protection program. Threw the old, moldy, grundgy, SMELLY Roach pads on today and forgot how much I loved them. So, back to the ORIGINAL and the best I go...