Quantcast

Anyone know much about the Azonic B52?

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Hell, that setup is lighter than an air, and with a more "hardtail" snap to it...

It LOOKS really good. It will be nice to get some ACTUAL specs off it when you're done. What's your intended build?
Initially, it will have a Travis triple Ti, Avid Codes, Outlaw wheels, SRAM drivetrain with Holfellers. I think the shock may be a Rocco, not sure yet.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
That's a FAIRLY heavy build, not the worst, but it will give us a more reasonble weight than someone running all air and Ti components. I'd like to see one with a 66, a shorter DHX(or an Avy, of course!), and a midweight crankset. Maybe some MTXs?

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
This is what it looks like built. I didn't weight the frame but it is signigficantly lighter than the 303. The BB height is 14". I'm not sure where the head angle can in but it is not as steep as the 67 on the web site. Hopefully, I will find out how it rides tomorrow.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hmmm... not too bad. Looks a tad longer than I was thinking it would. Didn't they have only two sizes, like a long and a short? I assume that may be be the long(large)?
Weigh that thing!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't decide if that's freeride or DH.... the angles are kind of in between and that lovely lovely seat tube says freeride...

it's funny that I'm this excited over a totally non-boutique bike. I thought we were supposed to love the fancy sh.t?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Non-boutique can be good too but I would never buy a bike like that before I had a good chance to test ride it. Sundays, M3s, race links have all been well tested before they were sold to the public but who developed this bike? Who tested the suspension?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
"it's funny that I'm this excited over a totally non-boutique bike. I thought we were supposed to love the fancy sh.t?"

EXACTLY. It's even worse knowing there are enough different versions of it out there that it may as well have come from Walmart. But isn't it starting to seem a little f#cking stupid that we ALL spend 4-8 G on a bike that will honestly not perform much different than this thing? And this B52 still isn't a $400 frame, it's up there yet. My only issue with it is the fact that I've emailed Azonic on a few things over the last few years...not one single response. Maybe pick up that overseas version(the sick all white one) and deal with them on it?
Speaking of...so who was the ORIGINAL creater of this frame?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Non-boutique can be good too but I would never buy a bike like that before I had a good chance to test ride it. Sundays, M3s, race links have all been well tested before they were sold to the public but who developed this bike? Who tested the suspension?
Some of the smaller companies like Specialized have been testing them for a little while now...
But seriously, It's your typical 4-bar, hard to mess up, really. Hell, minus the Roco, I bet I can jump right on it and it will feel a lot like my SX. The coolest thing about the B52 though, is that unlike my SX, I can drop a shorter eye to eye shock in there, make it a touch snappier and drop the BB height. Add a 66 to the mix and it MAY be just what I'm looking for. We're waiting to see if 3.2 crashed and exploded...

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I took it out for its maiden voyage today and the worst possible thing happened - it got dirty. I should have known better but I couldn't resist.

OK, this is a really lively bike - air off of anything. It is a bit oversprung for me with a 550# spring but I have already changed that. You can feel the high bottom bracket a bit - it just feels a bit tall. It is nice and stable at high speed and takes hits really well. Not butter smooth like a 303 but still pretty good. I can't say much about the cornering because I am a bit rusty so my skills aren't up to task but the bike didn't have any bad traits. It flys nice and straight - comfortable in the air. The somewhat steep head angle wasn't really an issue until I blew the damping in my fork, then it was way too steep.

There is no apreciable chain growth - whew!, the short cage XO was long enough. The Truvativ chainguide is not the first choice for this bike - the lower pulley contacts the swingarm.

The Avid Codes are AMAZING. Wow, I love these brakes. A bit on the heavy side but I don't mind.

I fixed the damping issue and am looking forward to getting to know this bike some more.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I would think you can do a lot to mess up even a 4-bar or a lot to make it great but that is just guessing.
Well, I like to catch myself saying that we're not dealing with rockets. They're just bicycles. They have to get across dirt. If they make you smile, they're good bikes. Frowns = bad bikes, get new bike, make happy.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I took it out for its maiden voyage today and the worst possible thing happened - it got dirty. I should have known better but I couldn't resist.

OK, this is a really lively bike - air off of anything. It is a bit oversprung for me with a 550# spring but I have already changed that. You can feel the high bottom bracket a bit - it just feels a bit tall. It is nice and stable at high speed and takes hits really well. Not butter smooth like a 303 but still pretty good. I can't say much about the cornering because I am a bit rusty so my skills aren't up to task but the bike didn't have any bad traits. It flys nice and straight - comfortable in the air. The somewhat steep head angle wasn't really an issue until I blew the damping in my fork, then it was way too steep.

There is no apreciable chain growth - whew!, the short cage XO was long enough. The Truvativ chainguide is not the first choice for this bike - the lower pulley contacts the swingarm.

The Avid Codes are AMAZING. Wow, I love these brakes. A bit on the heavy side but I don't mind.

I fixed the damping issue and am looking forward to getting to know this bike some more.

Hey, when you get a few minutes, can you give us some real world specs? True BB height, wheelbase as built, current shock eye to eye, Chainstay length, and if you happen to have a degree wheel laying around, a head angle! Can also use a protractor and a plumb-bob. Oh, and a weight.
Thanks!

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Weather hasn't been treating me too good but the bike has been coming along just fine. The bike continues to be very lively and I'm not getting full travel on big hits. Too many new things here - I haven't really figured out the Rocco because I now have the correct spring on it.

The bike corners well. I can't snap it around like a Turner DHR but it does have a nice low COG and it is real predictable. BTW, my measurement fro the BB height was off - I didn't measure to the center of the BB so it is closer to 15". I may experiment with a new shock hole at some point to slack the HA and drop the BB. I'm not convinced it really needs it but it sure made the old DHR better.

I am taking it to the jump park today to get better acquainted. Should be fun.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
OK, I have had a chance to ride it a while and here are my thoughts. First off, for $1,500 you can't go wrong here. I think it is the deal of the century. It is well built, stiff, and pretty.

Jumping the bike took about 10 minutes to figure out its center. I was nosing down a bit at first until I moved back just slightly then - perfect. It jumps nice and smooth. It feels light and is easy to move around in the air. I am no jump park master for sure but it did great.

On to the DH on Saturday and I was impressed. It has a nice low center of gravity and turns well. It takes bumps well but this is not a plow bike. You feel the bumps like you do on a DHR, it's not a cruiser in the rough like a 303 or V10. It is lively and you can pop of of just about anything. I found that it worked best to keep my weight back further than I normally would. This could be due to the slightly steeper head angle but I never had that OTB feeling.

A couple of minor negatives. The Truvativ guide I put on it doesn't fit very well and I have to rotate the lower pulley way down to clear the swingarm. If you run a large rear tire, it will contact the seat tube at full travel. I don't normally run a large rear tire but I had a 2.7" High Roller on there and does hit. I have switched to a 2.5" and I will see how that does. Lastly, it is fully active so if you hate pedal bob, this will bother you and you may want to opt for a shock with anti-bob. Personally, this doesn't bother me and I love the Rocco WC.

I think the B52 is a very good bike, more than capable DH racer, and unbeatable for the price.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
OK, I finally got some measurements. The wheelbase is 47.5". The bottom bracket, when measures correctly is 15". I swapped the Travis for a 888 RC2X and put a Ti spring on the Rocco and it weighs 42.5 lbs. I used the plumb bob method and got 65 degrees on the head angle but I know that can't be correct. I will have to borrow an inclinometer at some point.

It bottoms, though less severly, with a 2.5" tire too. It's not bad but less than desirable.

The bike is pretty darn light. I have heavy Gravity cranks, an RCX2 (not the World Cup), a heavy bottom bracket, a 2.7" front tire and a heavy (FSA Pig) headset and it is still 42.5 lbs.

It is a blast to ride!

Jun 21, 2007
Boston
hey 3.2,

what's the i2i and stroke on the shock?

how severe is the tire rub you get on the seat tube at full compression? is it simply a little rubbing at full compression or can you actually feel the suspension stop because of the contact with the seat tube?

the frame looks awesome and the price is tough to beat... but the severity of this tire rub issue will weigh heavy on my decision.

also, is the rear hub 150mm w/12mm axle? or other?

Thanks!

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
hey 3.2,

what's the i2i and stroke on the shock?

how severe is the tire rub you get on the seat tube at full compression? is it simply a little rubbing at full compression or can you actually feel the suspension stop because of the contact with the seat tube?

the frame looks awesome and the price is tough to beat... but the severity of this tire rub issue will weigh heavy on my decision.

also, is the rear hub 150mm w/12mm axle? or other?

Thanks!
I don't have bike any longer so I don't know the i2i, unfortunately. No, you can't feel the bump too much, it is relatively smooth. It is certainly rideable as is. They put a bumper on the shock that stops it from rubbing on the new versions.

The rear has a 135mm hub spacing.

Panadog

Chimp
Aug 29, 2007
eye 2 eye on the shock is 2.75" Rubbing is at full compression only - and only if you get the early 07 frames. The later 07 frames have a 5mm spacer that will stop all rub. There is an 08 coming out soon. None of those have that problem. The rear hub is 150 w/ 12mm axle. The frame is pretty solid. you can get them for about 1300 now.

Jun 21, 2007
Boston
eye 2 eye on the shock is 2.75" Rubbing is at full compression only - and only if you get the early 07 frames. The later 07 frames have a 5mm spacer that will stop all rub. There is an 08 coming out soon. None of those have that problem. The rear hub is 150 w/ 12mm axle. The frame is pretty solid. you can get them for about 1300 now.

I'm assuming you mean the stroke is 2.75" (it would be a pretty disgusting leverage ratio if not)... so what's the i2i?

common i2i for a 2.75" stroke is 8.75".. but i'm pretty sure there are some 9" x 2.75" shocks out there (OE)

Panadog

Chimp
Aug 29, 2007
yea sorry, its comes with the roco world cup 8.75 i2i (they call it 222 mm) with 2.75-inch (they call it 70mm) stroke.