Quantcast

anyone Know the 2005 DH race schedual?

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Hey Mike I know that Massanutten is Sat. May 14th. At least it is listed then. That is probably the first race of the season. I believe I read somewhere that the boys down south (Maxxis series, MADHRA, Windrock, and the such) is trying to get a race or two in before Massanutten. Can't confirm that but I'm sure one of those guys will respond and let you know.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Yeah itll be my first season racing. Probably start out sport and if i podium some go to expert and get demolished and cry.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
wannabeabonedoc said:
can anyone who's raced massanuten tell me if I'm going to die. I'd like to try out racing for the first time, and dont even have a DH bike.
Mass of nothing is a fun course, it was my first DH race, and I didnt die. I did however have a DH bike. I would venture to say that if you are thinking about doing it on your XC bike, you may want to try and scrounge up a DH/FR sled. (or buy mine :)) You CAN do it on your bike, but it may be a little........ rough ;)

Its fun, not incredibly technical, and fast

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
If I could sell the ole liquid 20, I'd buy a DH bike. I was suckered into that bike by believing the BS that it was, "the only bike for me" and "it's all the bike I'll ever need". AAAGRH :mumble:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
biggins said:
not to sure but i know some things about the race SCHEDULE! :D ;)

Yeah, YOU are one to pick on grammar and spelling! :P

NotQuiteJdm said:
It'll be my first time as well..but I have a DH bike. It sucks because even the beginner class is super fast.

Not really...... there were some people that STOPPED on their race run to check out a drop or stunt or somthing. ON THEIR RACE RUN!!! that is what practice is for!

I however, will be getting my ass kicked in sport this year

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
wannabeabonedoc said:
can anyone who's raced massanuten tell me if I'm going to die. I'd like to try out racing for the first time, and dont even have a DH bike.
Massanutten last year was my first race ever, and probably only the fifth or sixth time I ever DHed, and I didn't die or come close to it.

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
never raced massanutten but im gonna miss winter green timber rattler.. :( lol if anyone was there i was the guy on a trek bruiser that got a pinch flat and no one would lend a tube... meh oh well lol out for revange this year and got a new better bike!!

Da Monkey

Chimp
Oct 4, 2004
Virginia
yea my dad said he would take me to all the races he could get me in this season if my grades get better...and they have been. i somewhat have a downhill bike... an 04 ellsworth joker all beefed up with downhill component...its pretty fast....and im stoked for this season!

Racer-X

Monkey
Oct 16, 2004
SNOWSHOE
NotQuiteJdm said:
It'll be my first time as well..but I have a DH bike. It sucks because even the beginner class is super fast.

hahaha. thats funny.

you should have no problem at all if you have the least bit of bike handling skills and/or decent coordination.i should be looking forward to getting my @ss handed to me in 19-24 Expert.i heard the most aggravating part in that class isn't actually getting beaten,it's the lines during practice :D

massanutten is basically tight,twisty singletrack with a bit of pedalling and a couple rock gardens.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
Thanks to who ever posted the pics of mass-o-nuttin. I used to ski there in highschool. It looks like the trail we ride around BV. In some places, the trail disappears because there's only rocks to ride on. It would be a trials rider's paradise. I'm not too terrible when it comes to rock gardens. I'll just have to try my luck. thanks for all the input. You guys rock.

Pete

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
CHOP said:
Hey Mike I know that Massanutten is Sat. May 14th. At least it is listed then...
Where'd you read that? I've looked on the USACycling site and the state championships aren't there. Didn't see them on the Racers Edge site, either.

Also, Mike, don't forget the U.S. Open at the end of May!

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Where'd you read that? I've looked on the USACycling site and the state championships aren't there. Didn't see them on the Racers Edge site, either.

Also, Mike, don't forget the U.S. Open at the end of May!

USA Cycling is still accepting app's

I havent spoken to MH in awhile, from what I ve heard the should be more wv events..

To me if we have a 4 race series that would be best. 7-8 races dilute participation. I think it also brings out racers from greater distances.

see you at the races :thumb:

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Massanutten is plain old classic fast E Coast singletrack. Any rider from the east or Pacific NW would feel at home and could have fun, despite its lack of steep and lots of pedal. It is in many ways a perfect beginner DH course: no drops, no jumps, just a couple rock gardens.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
Massanutten has a hardtail class , that alone should give you some idea how mellow the course is.It's fun but not difficult at all. run a good bit of tire pressure, lots of small sharpedged pinch flat type rocks. Hey if an XC bike is all you have ,race it, beats sitting at home, right?

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Massanutten IS on Sat. May 14th. The remaining three races of the Mid-Atlantic Cup are tentatively scheduled but awaiting confirmation! As soon as these dates are confirmed the schedule will be posted on RacersEdgeOnline.com.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
wannabeabonedoc said:
So how does one go about registering for the race. Can I just show up, register and race?

thanks for all the info by the way. It sucks being a newbie but I gotta start somewhere
Show up on Saturday, sign your life away on their contract, give them your money, and they give you a number plate. Its that easy :)

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I did both last year, it was cool. I rocked the hell out of the HT, not so much love in the Ex. class though.....