Quantcast

Anyone know the axle-to-crown of a Totem vs. a Van RC2?

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
My Van RC2 is a nice fork, but it doesn't seem to be working so hot for me. I'm strongly considering getting a Totem instead and was wondering how much taller my front end is going to be, but I can't find the specs of either fork.

I'm hoping to lift the front of the bike a little to take so pressure off of my hands but I don't want to go overboard. Every time I ride I end up with sore/numb fingers after about 1 or 2 runs. It takes me at least a day to feel as much pain when riding my other bike which has a significantly (2.5") taller front end.

Other problem is that the Fox fork doesn't seem to deal well with rocky sections. I know it is only 160mm fork vs. my old 190mm fork, but it guess it feels way worse then you would think 30mm less travel would. It handles large single impacts like a champ, but like I said, the fast chatter (rocks at speed, braking bumps) it feels like I don't even have a suspension fork.

Eh, I guess I'm doing a little thinking out loud here. Any thoughts/ suggestions?

I just went to a totem from a fox van 36. I think you will love it. I only have 3 rides on the totem so far, but here is my comparison at this point. The front gets raised slightly, but is not very noticable to me. I ride a sx trail and it compliments my bike perfectly.

The totem actually climbs better then the fox. Mission control is the shiznit - allows you to lock it down, but I don't even use it, not even in the mountains. It makes the front to tall and does not allow the sag to bring the front down enough to climb well.

On the way down it is much stiffer and confidnce inspiring then the fox. Eats up everything and makes a 2.35 tire look like a road tire. You won't get knocked around nearly as much. It feels just slightly less stiff then my dual crown fox 40. Pretty much a game of point and shoot.

The bad: the spring for a 160-180lb rider does not allow me to get the full travel - about 2 inches shy of it even off bigger hits. I'm 200 with gear and am going to try the spring made for a140-160lb rider.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Hmm, that doesn't sound too bad. Do you know any online shops that sell them for a reasonable price? I was looking at an Air model, and I only weigh 137 so I should be OK. If I do get the coil, though, I will most likely have the opposite problem of you, I will not be able to move the fork at all. Does it come with springs like the fox or must you order them?

Hmm, that doesn't sound too bad. Do you know any online shops that sell them for a reasonable price? I was looking at an Air model, and I only weigh 137 so I should be OK. If I do get the coil, though, I will most likely have the opposite problem of you, I will not be able to move the fork at all. Does it come with springs like the fox or must you order them?
Springs don't come with them. The air model has had good reports and it would solve the problm I'm having as you can just pump it up or let the air out. I just like the buttery feel of a coil shock.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
ya panzey the forks fine just suck it up and ride faster, that bikes for alpine not deciete.
Thats the thing, even the light rocks and braking bumps on something as smooth as Alpine felt like total ass. My hands hurt so bad from hanging on that they were stuck closed after a few runs. I'm trying to manipulate my bar height (got some Deity's) as well as brake lever angle first to see if that helps. If not...eh, we'll have to see.

Pardon the stupid question, but what the hell is inside the 36 forks? Can the oil be changed to a lower weight at a higher level? I'd like to make this thing more progressive. I've only work on Marz in the past.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
On my 36 TALAS RC2 I was having a similar problem with trail riding. My thumbs were killing me.
On a whim I messed with the compression adjusters on the bottom of the fork in the middle of a ride. All of a sudden the fork was sucking up bumps and my thumbs were OK. All I really did was turn the adjusters a few turns then return them to where they had been.
Shop says they have heard of the compression valves getting stuck so they think that when I moved the knobs then cycled it, it freed them up.
If yours is an RC2 I would suggest messing with the compression adjusters. Not saying you haven't done this, but read the manual and go with the suggested settings then adjust from there.

Thats the thing, even the light rocks and braking bumps on something as smooth as Alpine felt like total ass. My hands hurt so bad from hanging on that they were stuck closed after a few runs. I'm trying to manipulate my bar height (got some Deity's) as well as brake lever angle first to see if that helps. If not...eh, we'll have to see.

Pardon the stupid question, but what the hell is inside the 36 forks? Can the oil be changed to a lower weight at a higher level? I'd like to make this thing more progressive. I've only work on Marz in the past.
The van has coil shocks in it and should have come with three sets of springs. You can change the springs to a softer set and then dial in your low and high speed compression on the bottom. Have you put a zip tie on the fork leg to see how the travel is working?? Ever set the compression settings to your riding style and weight??

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
A 36 Van should handle rocks fine...if it's set up right.

Any fork will feel bad set up wrong. We all hear that story about how "It felt great right out of the box!" Well, no fork out of the box is gonna feel as nice as a fork with fresh oil and lubed seals, the proper spring, and the right rebound/compression settings.

Take some time and mess with your 36 before you ditch it!

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Rock Shox Totem: 565mm c-a
160mm travel Fox 36: 545mm c-a
Thank you!!!

The van has coil shocks in it and should have come with three sets of springs. You can change the springs to a softer set and then dial in your low and high speed compression on the bottom. Have you put a zip tie on the fork leg to see how the travel is working?? Ever set the compression settings to your riding style and weight??
It uses only 1 spring in the left leg. I changed it out my the correct one for my weight before I even mounted the thing to my bike. I turned up the LSC a bit (hovers somewhere around 6-8 clicks) and haven't touched the HSC. Also, I haven't messed with a zip tie but it has been dusty and I can tell that off large stuff I get the lowers about 10mm from the crown. I would call that about right.

A 36 Van should handle rocks fine...if it's set up right.

Any fork will feel bad set up wrong. We all hear that story about how "It felt great right out of the box!" Well, no fork out of the box is gonna feel as nice as a fork with fresh oil and lubed seals, the proper spring, and the right rebound/compression settings.

Take some time and mess with your 36 before you ditch it!
As I said, I have 6-8 clicks of LSC, 1 of HSC. The oil is fresh and I put 3 drops on Triflow on the seals and cycle the fork after every ride.

If you have any suggestions for the adjustments I'm all ears.

...While I'm at it, would landing a drop to proper tranny fall into LSC, or HSC? I always thought HSC, but have been told otherwise.