Quantcast

Anyone live in a different state than where they work?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I know some people that their communte involves going to the airport and flying to a different state to work...anyone here do that? How difficult is it to do? Is organizing airline flights relatively easy? I'm thinking about living in Colorado but commuting to California...and its not an everyday thing. I'd only have to fly like twice a week.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I don't have a situation like that, but I do know a lot of people who travel and commute heavily. I've been told it's somewhat enjoyable at the start, but the time you spend away from home and your family can really put a drain on your life. In your case, I can see how it could work if you had to commute less, say maybe a couple days in a row each month. I don't really know you and how you operate, but I certainly couldn't handle the grind/flights.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
My wife travelled for work every week for a year and a half. She flew out Monday mornings at 6AM and flew in Friday nights at 11PM. She eventually got worn down and it did strain our relationship a little but not too bad because we're both pretty independent as it is. The frequent flier miles have been nice to have but that's probably the best part of it.

I did get to ride a lot more during the week while she was traveling though.

If you're single it probably wouldn't be too bad and just about anything is worth trying at least once.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I don't do it, but it's pretty common in the Greater Boston area. People drive up from Rhode Island, and down from Maine and New Hampshire. I see RI and CT plates every morning on 146 going to work.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Seems like a lot of people commute a butt load in Mass. Which sucks cuz I am moving to the area and want to be able to RIDE to work.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Arsbars said:
Seems like a lot of people commute a butt load in Mass. Which sucks cuz I am moving to the area and want to be able to RIDE to work.
Depends on where you would work. If you work in Boston, and live in the immediate metro area, you could easily ride to work. It might even be faster than driving, depending on your route. :p

prerogative

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Danvers, MA
Arm On Fire said:
See below my avatar.

Live in NH
Work (taxed) in Mass

1 hour commute each way, unless of course there is traffic...........YAY!!!!!
If you work at home on occasion, look into apportionment - don't have to pay MA taxes for those days.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
Dog Welder said:
I'm thinking about living in Colorado but commuting to California...and its not an everyday thing.
my dad works for than dvd company netflix out in los gatos. he flies out there from boulder every other week, but even thats pretty stressful... then again with a family and all its prob more stressful than without one. :thumb: