Quantcast

anyone made your own bike rack for your truck?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Toyota bed + toolbox = not enough room for a bike. i have some mounts on the toolbox for my QR bikes, but my Spot will be a 20mm TA. i'm thinking about trying to fab something up such that the bike will sit above the tool box and bed, using a Yakima (King) Cobra. has anyone done something like this? i know Yakima and Thule make artificial rain gutters, but once it's all said and done, that **** gets expensive. i'm trying to make something such that the only piece i'd need from Yakima would be the (King) Cobra.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
you got a pic of the toolbox in the bed? and kinda where you want the rack?

*I haven't built one for that application but I have for others...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The PVC rack works pretty well. (search for pvc truck rack)
It would force you to keep the gate down but it will keep the bikes secure.
If you need to keep the bed closed, you might want to look into a sportworks.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You could do a steel variation of the PVC setup, put it in the rear of the bed (secure it to the corner tie downs), park the bike with the front tire in the rack and the rear tire on the tool box, then run a strap through the wheels and secure them to the top of the box.

Even better is to attach loops to the top of the tool box to run a strap through.

Bed closed, bikes secure.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Dang! I wish I still had a pic of it. I used to have a Mazda (read Ranger) p/u witha a ladder rack, I mounted 2 fork mounts forward and mounted 2 pieces of H-Channel front to back for the wheels to sit in and used velcro to strap the rear wheels in. I used this set up for almost 5 years. H-channel is commononly found in the sunroom industry so if there are any local sunroom co. or mfg. in your area enquire about some blemished pieces, The H- Channel I used was a dark bronze color and was made by PGT industries in Venice Florida...

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
the Inbred said:
Toyota bed + toolbox = not enough room for a bike.
If you are going to have a truck, why take the hauling capacity away by having a toolbox? That makes just about as much sense as lowering a pickup so you can't haul over 100 lbs.

In answer to your question, motorcycle tie downs.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
because i need some place other than behind the seat to store stuff semi-securely. have you ever seen how little room is behind the seat in a Toyota?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
My husband made a rack for his truck bed too, but I doubt it would help you out as he has a full-size Dodge Ram and no tool box. If you're interested in seeing pics of his design, I can post some up though.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Since you already seem to be thinking home-made, why not built a plywood bed extender and leave the gate down. Then just make a 2x4 rack. Choose the right spraypaint and it won't even look so ghetto. I'm going to build a 2x4 rack to fit into a receiver hitch cargo basket that I already have.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
I built one but it was to mount bikes on my canopy/topper without having them on the roof.
Sounds like you're after something else.
You can't do without the toolbox eh?
I think I'd be inclined to bullox the toolbox and make nice steel wheel rack that you can roll the bike into without taking the wheels off at all and mount that to the truck.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
chicodude said:
yea, you can still use tiedowns, just put the tailgate down...
the whole tailgate down thing bugs me for some reason. i'm afraid all my beer cans will roll out. but i guess that's what the toolbox is for, eh?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Qman said:
I built one but it was to mount bikes on my canopy/topper without having them on the roof.
Sounds like you're after something else.
You can't do without the toolbox eh?
I think I'd be inclined to bullox the toolbox and make nice steel wheel rack that you can roll the bike into without taking the wheels off at all and mount that to the truck.
nah, not gonna get rid of the box. i love it. it's made carrying my tools and bike stuff so much easier. eventually i plan on getting a camper shell, and i might take it off then, but right now, it's nice not having to smell my dirty cycling shoes and such.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
the Inbred said:
nah, not gonna get rid of the box. i love it. it's made carrying my tools and bike stuff so much easier. eventually i plan on getting a camper shell, and i might take it off then, but right now, it's nice not having to smell my dirty cycling shoes and such.
you put your dirty cycling shoes in your toolbox?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
after they dry, i do. as well as my sweat towel. and i hang my gloves on a 'rack' i have in there. and my floor pump. and shop towels on a roll, some toilet paper, a spare bottle of lube, some grease, and some other stuff i'm forgetting. oh, and i keep a spare set of brake cables in there, too, as well as a little housing.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I made a PVC rack for my 05 Tacoma.
It rules, and I made it in one night, and got a buzz off the glue.
Win win.
But I am not sure if it would work with a toolbox in the back.
My Tacoma is an Extended Cab, so is there is plenty of room back there for midgets and/or hobbits.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
the Inbred said:
eventually i plan on getting a camper shell, and i might take it off then, but right now, it's nice not having to smell my dirty cycling shoes and such.
What exactly is your timeline for the camper? Seems like a waste of money and effort to build your own bike rack if and when you do get a camper, you'll essentially have to start over.

How do you get your bike around now? Do you just throw it in the bed? If so I say save the money you'll spend on this project and put it towards a camper or the rack for your camper. The thing is, a camper setup is mucho dinero. I'm a po' hippy/student and saved up a looong time to put together my current truck setup, which isn't anything special.

It ain't cheep putting together a basic system.
Used fiberglass camper: $500
Yakima rack system for two bikes: ~$480

If you want to mount your bikes atop the camper and do it on the cheap, you could probably mount a couple of locking blockheads

directly to the top of the camper shell and then somehow put in a mini gutter for the rear wheel to sit in and secure it with velcro strips. That shouldn't run you more than $60 / bike.

The other way to go about it is just pickup a hitch mount. I'm sure you've thought of that and my opinion is that it blocks you from getting into the back of the camper, though it will save you a bit on gas mileage as bikes on top of the truck create a decent amount of wind resistance.

As far as your current situation is concerned, the pickups I've seen at the trail that have bikes upright in the back have those blockhead skewers mounted either directly on the toolbox or on the edge of the truck bed, seating the bike(s) perpendicular to the direction of the truck. I dunno if either of those are possibilties or if you've already ruled them out, just my observation.

Good luck!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
macko said:
What exactly is your timeline for the camper? Seems like a waste of money and effort to build your own bike rack if and when you do get a camper, you'll essentially have to start over.
camper...eh...depends. if i go with fiberglass one, a couple years. if i go with a soft one, a year or so. hopefully Can-Back will be back in business.
macko said:
How do you get your bike around now? Do you just throw it in the bed? If so I say save the money you'll spend on this project and put it towards a camper or the rack for your camper. The thing is, a camper setup is mucho dinero. I'm a po' hippy/student and saved up a looong time to put together my current truck setup, which isn't anything special.

It ain't cheep putting together a basic system.
Used fiberglass camper: $500
Yakima rack system for two bikes: ~$480
Right now, i have to QR mounts bolted to the top of the toolbox. and no **** about campers. i can't believe how high those things get. the soft ones run in the $600 range. if/ when i get a camper, i'll figure out what to do with the bikes then. i might just get a Sportworks, who knows. that is where a soft shell will come in handy, as the sides will be able to be rolled up.
macko said:
As far as your current situation is concerned, the pickups I've seen at the trail that have bikes upright in the back have those blockhead skewers mounted either directly on the toolbox or on the edge of the truck bed, seating the bike(s) perpendicular to the direction of the truck. I dunno if either of those are possibilties or if you've already ruled them out, just my observation.

Good luck!
those would work if i got the 20mm TA adapter that was posted, but that seems especially theft-prone.

i'm thinking about scratching the homemade idea, getting some of those artifical rain gutters that Thule and Yakima sell, mounting them to the bed rail, and running a standard rack system. seems that stuff can be had cheaply on eBay, with an end result looking like this:

my homemade idea would make the base that's bolted to the rails, the towers, and the crossbars a single piece. so essentially, i'd have a total of 4 pieces; 2 crossbar assemblies, and 2 bike trays. only problem i see with my idea is that it'd be a little clumsy, unless i left the crossbars on at all times, until i would absolutely have to take them off. the only time i have stuff in my bed that large, though, is when i move. only problem with that would be moisture. i might be able to get some thin rubber to use as a gasket, though. hmmm....

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
sorry if i repeated something already said, i didn't bother to read through the entire thread. :nope: that looks like it'd work out great, still giving you plenty of room in the bed for other gear. if you can't find rubber gaskets, try just using a silicon at those points of interest. That's what I used at the holes I had to drill through the top of my camper.

for those crossbars, don't bother buying the yakima (or thule) ones as they'll run ya bucco bucks. go to home depot and pick up pipe (1/2" i believe) they even have it in black, you just have to cut it down to size. it'll cost you pennies on the dollar.

just another random thought, would be get a fiberglass tonneu cover instead of a camper. half the price, would look really good, give you the storage security and you could mount the bikes ontop of that.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i think Tejas is cracking down on plates being obscured. another project i have in mind is a tube rear bumper, at which time i'll be moving the place location to either the left or right.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
macko said:
for those crossbars, don't bother buying the yakima (or thule) ones as they'll run ya bucco bucks. go to home depot and pick up pipe (1/2" i believe) they even have it in black, you just have to cut it down to size. it'll cost you pennies on the dollar.

just another random thought, would be get a fiberglass tonneu cover instead of a camper. half the price, would look really good, give you the storage security and you could mount the bikes ontop of that.
yeah, Yakima shows that their bars are 1"...but i'm wondering, how do they stay in place, and not slide in the towers? are they held stable by friction, or what? i'm thinking i could get this system set up for under $250, assuming i get steel crossbars from a Home Depot. Yakima Bolt Top Loaders go for about $40 on eBay, King Cobras about $100, 1A Towers about $30 - $50.

a tonneau cover has also gone through my mind, but i don't know. i haven't really seen any that i like.

WSU DH'er

Monkey
Nov 28, 2003
Fayetteville, NC
The bars a locked into the towers basicly by friction, its a really tight clamp. If your interested I have a King Cobra tray I'm looking to sell, and other yakima parts as well.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm not looking to buy just yet. need to get my bike built first. but if you're still selling in a couple months, i'll be interested.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Just thought I'd give this old thread a bump as I finally got a pic of my bike rack. It's way overbuilt, but I figure its not something I want breaking. 3-8' 2"x6"'s and 2-8' 2"x4"'s and about 100 deck screws + labour is all that it cost me.

Holds up to 6 DH bikes and leaves plenty of room for a bigass rubbermaid dealy for camping gear/whatever else. The vertical 2x6's on the inside of the bed go right to the floor and are connected horizontally with a 2x4.

Added bonus is the 50+ horsepower it gives me when there are no bikes on it! :rolleyes: