Quantcast

Anyone make their own yogurt?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Just curious if anyone has ever done this or had any suggestions for things to try. I made my first batch a few days ago. It went well- about 30 minutes of work (mostly waiting for things to be at the right temp), ~6 hours "cooking" time and I had 1/2 gallon of yogurt for a few bucks. Made it quite rich- whole milk, a bit of half and half and plain Greek yogurt as a starter. Pretty time-efficient and cost-effective thing to make if you like yogurt.

On an unrelated note, I also helped some friends make about 2000 dumplings by hand the other day. The school I attend has a monthly dinner for all students/families/anyone and a friend of mine is in charge of food. They give him very little money to work with, so for Chinese New Year we made 2000 pork dumplings and bought 2000 vegetable ones (cheaper to buy those than make). Took a long time and a good number of people.

Here's a pic of a few trays full. There were dozens of trays stacked everywhere in his apartment. Quite an undertaking. Good dumplings, though.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Yep, my wife got on this yogurt making kick. It's pretty good stuff. No suggestions though since I just eat it...hopefully it'll keep going and not die out like the unsuccessful canning foray...however I now have a stainless steel pot big enough to fit three 12 lb. lobsters at once...so that's a plus.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
We've been making yogurt at home for some time now. The best part is that you can use the batch you just made as the starter for your next one. We've found that you can repeat this for about 3-4 times before you have to go back to using the store-bought stuff as a starter.

You can also try adding about 1/2 cup of powdered milk to make it really thick.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We've been making yogurt at home for some time now. The best part is that you can use the batch you just made as the starter for your next one. We've found that you can repeat this for about 3-4 times before you have to go back to using the store-bought stuff as a starter.

You can also try adding about 1/2 cup of powdered milk to make it really thick.
Would you share a recipe or two? I think Syd & I will try and make some.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
My brother made a few batches to help recover from the heavy antibiotics he had to take to get rid of a parasite he picked up in Guatemala. It was pretty good. I think he did about 5 batches before it died. And the probiotics really helped his stomach.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I worked in a very small dairy one summer in VT (and I cleaned the barn too for a week) and made various cheeses, yogurt, and even sorbet (w/strawberries I picked from the field nearby). I liked the sorbet the best.

I prefer goat yogurt/kefir (easier to digest/smaller molecules/closer to human milk), but I've never made anything with goat's milk myself. This company has awesome goat kefir but its expensive:

http://www.redwoodhill.com/yogurt.htm

I think you should try to find and make some recipes with goat milk.