Quantcast

Anyone on a "devolved" swinger?

The Mexi-can

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
If Cortinas rebuilt shocks work as well as the new shim-based swingers that Manitou has been shipping the world is in for a treat.

The new Manitou shocks work amazingly well so far!
Yes I agree with you, the new manitou shocks with their SFS shim valving is night and day between their SPV damped shocks. But neither of those damping systems are bad, they both work great for different rider/racers with different riding styles and different terrains. We just want to offer services and upgrades to people who want to have their suspension maintained and in good working order, and or custom tuned to their spec.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Yes I agree with you, the new manitou shocks with their SFS shim valving is night and day between their SPV damped shocks. But neither of those damping systems are bad, they both work great for different rider/racers with different riding styles and different terrains. We just want to offer services and upgrades to people who want to have their suspension maintained and in good working order, and or custom tuned to their spec.
What does the upgrade cost?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
its not that expensive...and it well worth it...production mtb suspension is garbage imo adrian has been setting up our bikes for a while and they are uncomparable to stock sh&t
MX re-tune pricing depends on what you need. If your on a 250F and not 150-170 pounds, you'll need springs. That adds to the cost. If your on a bike that the valve body is replaced, more cash. Replace a floating piston with a bladder, more cash.

So your correct, if you have Showa suspension and your the idea sized rider, it's $300. If your 200 pounds and it's a KTM, buck up. That said, I just changed the springs and dialed in the clickers and it's better than many other bikes with "professionaly tuned" suspension. I would easily buck up if I had confidence that my money would buy speed.

Now if you want really nice suspension on you MX bike, buy Pro Circuit Showa suspension with the Showa works kit installed. Or if your on a KTM, buy the STS suspension. Major bucks.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The oil goes through the ports and bends the shims. There are compression and rebound ports. The compression stack is on one side of the piston and rebound is on the other.

It's the bending of the shims that creates the damping. The number and size of the shim stack adjust the low, mid and high speed damping.

Go to a MX suspension tuner and ask questions. Most of the time, they will go on for hours on different stack configurations for different riding needs.

I just can't see this for DH for the only reason being that bicycle riders are cheap. Telling someone to buck up $500-700 for a suspension job and they are going to laugh. In MX, just about everyone who races pays to have their suspension customized.
We just got this article in today! It comes from a suspension engineer at SHOWA USA who also races Pro MX. He knows his stuff, check it out.
HERE

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
We just got this article in today! It comes from a suspension engineer at SHOWA USA who also races Pro MX. He knows his stuff, check it out.
HERE
That is a very good article.

One question though for the Showa guy, why would you set the sag with the rider seated? Typically, the race sag is set with the rider in the attack position.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
That is a very good article.

One question though for the Showa guy, why would you set the sag with the rider seated? Typically, the race sag is set with the rider in the attack position.
Ah and how do you measure sag by measuring something "vertically above the rear axle"? The rear axle doesn't move when you sit on the bike... duh. Do it by measuring the shock eye to eye!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Ah and how do you measure sag by measuring something "vertically above the rear axle"? The rear axle doesn't move when you sit on the bike... duh. Do it by measuring the shock eye to eye!
Axle to rear fender on a MX bike in a vertical line.

On a DH bike, typically you would measure rear axle to the seat.

bElliott

Chimp
Sep 5, 2006
Hi,

I know a bunch of you are curious about fixes and upgrades for swinger and 5th Elements, so I will try to provide a little info without sounding spammy. We are providing suspension service and upgrades for manitou and 5th Element rear shocks. We do have other projects in the works and they will be up on our new site which will be up soon, so if you have any questions you can PM me, or better email me info@cr1engineering.com

Thanks.

Here are some pics, as you can see we have done a Swinger 4way.
this may have asked before but is the website down? i really want to check it out

How much? that looks sooooo cool and i could go for a breath of new life into my 5th

also anyone can explain how it differs from the control valve? i dont care much about the tech as i have a pretty good idea how it works, but more in riding characteristics?thanks

The Mexi-can

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
Yes the site is not finished yet, so i removed the link. The main difference is that you get more small bump sensitivity and mid-stroke control. Also the valving can be custom tuned for different riders and for the type of riding they do. It also takes the "dead" feeling away giving you a more controlled feel.