Quantcast

Anyone ridden the Transition Bikes TBC Revolution wheelset?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I am looking to get some wheels for the wife's new-to-her Demo 7. She's a 140lb girl, is just getting into DH, and isn't a heavy metal rider.

Have any of you had any time on the Transition Bikes TBC Revolution wheels? Are they total weight pigs? I want to do something light, but that is a 10mm rear for all the general reasons.

They've got them at DropNZone here in Seattle, was thinking of getting them and popping them on.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they're just generic wide OEM rims (at least from what I saw on a friends bike). They're heavy, tough, and cheap.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Think we're talking too heavy so much so to kill the fun factor? I like the idea of some $250 wheels for this project, but I don't want to build such a tank that she doesn't enjoy riding it.

tonyl

Chimp
Oct 2, 2007
Have had mine for 2 seasons. Now, I'm a big guy so I don't even ook at the weight of them.

Strict DH duty and other than a slight hop in ht erear (Totally, my fault!)

I've only had to true the rear once.

Rock solid and cheap. Can't beat them.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
There tough, there not too heavy actually, and no its not just a cheap OEM wheel. Its a well built rim, and the hubs are actually pretty damn tough. Given tis only a 22 point engagnement rear, but it quick and very Positive lock. I will drop some weight comparisons in a few

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
if the claimed weights are right, the 32 transition wheels are 2,510 grams. i've run those wheels and they are solid performers. the transition site has them at $289.

transition now has an all mountain wheelset for $279 which is 2,220 grams. not a bad option.

pricepoint and blueskycycling both have shimano hub/rhyno lite rim combos for under $200, but those come in at 2,300-2,400 grams.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Ok 32 hole revolution hoop, 640 grams
single track 32 hole 540 grams
MTX 31 640 grams
Mavic 823 657 grams
Mavic 721 590 grams

Couple comarisions there for ya, Personally I really like these wheels. And I suggest for you to get them, they are strong, and stiff. You can safe yourself the 100 gram difference over the singletracks with a different tyre.

Oh the 10mm solid QR is awesome, you know your not going to break it.

at 630 grams, I would not consider them to be a heavy wheel. Specially when looking at there intended use. And I Like these over the feel of the singletracks I used to run

Ps I used claimed weights for comparisions. I didnt go out and actually weight these.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Ok 32 hole revolution hoop, 640 grams
single track 32 hole 540 grams
MTX 31 640 grams
Mavic 823 657 grams
Mavic 721 590 grams

Couple comarisions there for ya, Personally I really like these wheels. And I suggest for you to get them, they are strong, and stiff. You can safe yourself the 100 gram difference over the singletracks with a different tyre.

Oh the 10mm solid QR is awesome, you know your not going to break it.

at 630 grams, I would not consider them to be a heavy wheel. Specially when looking at there intended use. And I Like these over the feel of the singletracks I used to run

Ps I used claimed weights for comparisions. I didnt go out and actually weight these.
hoop weight is only part of the equation though. spoke, nipple, and hub choices can all make a big difference.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I had the really big set last season on my Gran Mal - - the 36s/150 rear. They needed absolutely no attention whatsoever the entire season. When I had to quickly slap the GM back together for Sea Otter this year, I took it in to have them checked and they were still true, just needed a bit of retensioning here and there.

I would think the 32s (or even the AMs) would last nearly indefinitely under her.

Last edited:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Looking at those wheels side by side with Azonic Outlaws, it seemed to me that they are one in the same? Just rebadged to say Transition? I mean, they literally looked exactly the same, hub and all...If they are, then the'yre a great bang for the buck and not bad weight either.

Last edited:

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
I have 2 sets personaly and many of my friends ride them, I havent had an issue with them, on my girl friends bike we replaced her single track wheelset (ringle hubs) with the revolutions and the bike was lighter by a good 150 grams. and they are white and blue which she loves. the quality of the wheels is top notch too

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Not nessecarily<sp> in this case. We are looking for ride qualit, IE turning and responce, so you really need to look at your rotational weight. Like my road bike for example, I run a 32 hole open pro, total wheel weight is about 200 ish grams more than a Ksyrium..whichever..... I dont remember which one we have down at the shop, but I get more responce and need a lighter touch on the open pros due to less rotational weight.

Although Alloy nipple can be a noticable difference.

hoop weight is only part of the equation though. spoke, nipple, and hub choices can all make a big difference.

Very simular, but no, there not the same, Outlaw is another great wheel for the money, I would have gone that way myself, but I really dont like the white wheel, white spokes and white hub..... Little bit of a white overload

Looking at those wheels side by side with Azonic Outlaws, it seemed to me that they are one in the same? Just rebadged to say Transition? I mean, they literally looked exactly the same, hub and all...If they are, then the'yre a great bang for the buck and not bad weight either.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I have 2 sets personaly and many of my friends ride them, I havent had an issue with them, on my girl friends bike we replaced her single track wheelset (ringle hubs) with the revolutions and the bike was lighter by a good 150 grams. and they are white and blue which she loves. the quality of the wheels is top notch too
I shaved about 250grams going from my singletracks/xt hubs to the treansition hoops and hubs

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I think I am going to head to DropNZone next paycheck and pick some up. The red would be another in a long line of horrid, colorblind type choices I am making for this bike.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Ive got a set on my ToP DJ theyre strong tough, and not that heavy imo!

the new decals/colors from tranny look sweet, I'd say go for it but make sure ya get the 32h the 36s are heavy Ive ridden em and OTT

Nail it and shell be happy as especailly if you let her pimp the color:monkeydance: