Quantcast

Anyone ride a Curtlo Epic 29 Softtail?

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
I'm going to read waaay too much into this and wonder if you're looking to move on from your QBall...
Actually, no, I love my Q Ball. What I am looking for is another 29er in which to race with next year.

One of the things I have been considering is converting the Q Ball to geary and adding squish fork and using that to race. But I have to keep a Single Speed in the stable because I love riding Single Speed.

So I am bouncing around all sorts of ideas. Found a Curtlo on the 'bay starting out with a low price but figure it could wind up being more affordable than a Dos Niner, which is what I really want. The only way I think I can get a Dos Niner frame is if I can sell my 26er bike. But that is taking longer than I expected and I am just an impatient guy.

So, I don't know. But don't get me wrong. There is no way I would part with my $1300 bottle opener. I love riding it too much.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I still don't see all that much value in a soft tail. Seems like it poses more potential problems than it would provide that little extra added cush. If it is a good steel hardtail frame, then I think it will ride just fine without the need for a soft tail shock (which could fail or have problems etc. etc.)

For a true 29er race bike, perhaps you should think high grade steel or Scandium or something along those lines to keep things light yet compliant.

Or if you've got a lot of money to spend, perhaps one of those really nice XC specific Ventana full suspension 29er frames. The El Ray is it?

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Or if you've got a lot of money to spend, perhaps one of those really nice XC specific Ventana full suspension 29er frames. The El Ray is it?
Ahh, well, that is what I don't have, the money to spend. But I like your thinking. The reason I was thinking softtail is for my back because it will take out some of the jarring as I get older. However, nothing climbs better than a hardtail, of course.

So, maybe that makes sense.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mark - have a look at the new CArver Bikes 29er FS frame soon to be out. Light, and about 3.5" of travel I think. Simple yet effective single pivot design.

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
I still don't see all that much value in a soft tail. Seems like it poses more potential problems than it would provide that little extra added cush. If it is a good steel hardtail frame, then I think it will ride just fine without the need for a soft tail shock (which could fail or have problems etc. etc.)

For a true 29er race bike, perhaps you should think high grade steel or Scandium or something along those lines to keep things light yet compliant.

From what I've ridden, all three materials ride differently.
It would be really tough to pin down what worked for an individual.

My experience with the Niner hard tail frames:
The AIR 9 (Scandium) is a very compliant frame, but not even in the zip code of compliancy when compared to the SIR 9 (853 front tri, cromo rear).

My experience with soft tails:
The Salsa Dos Niner feels great on long rides. Very closely matches the weight of a hardtail, but with a little bit of "give". A lot more give than on a traditional hardtail.

Neither can come close to how you can lay waste with a full squish set up correctly.

For a true "race" bike, to be truly competitive, you need to have the lightest thing around, and be in the condition to use it.

If you want a "race day" bike, then you need something that will handle the rigors of trail riding , and perform when it counts.

Both of these types of bikes come with expense.

I am the last person to say this,
but
it you want a cheap fast bike
RIDE HARDER

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
For a true "race" bike, to be truly competitive, you need to have the lightest thing around, and be in the condition to use it.
True, very true!

I am the last person to say this,
but
it you want a cheap fast bike
RIDE HARDER
Ha ha! Or.......lay off the beer, patries, and sweets! Weight off of the motor makes a huge difference in performance and in physical comfort on the bike. But I'm like you, G: I'm the last person to be giving that advice. (as I give my self a poke in the gut. Oooh! That's soft!)

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
I think I am going to follow G's and Mark's advice on the frame: Going to get the Salsa because that is what I really want. Now I just have to find a way to do it.