Quantcast

Anyone riding a Giant Reign X?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I've asked in a couple of different places, and can't seem to get much feedback at all. I haven't heard much about this bike, but it sounds sweet and I'm looking at picking one up. Anyone?

Reign X

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I just got mine last week, but i cannot really tell you anything so far because it's impossible to ride around here right now due to major damages from a storm two weeks ago. In the meantime you could check out the Giant forum over at mtbr, there are a few, albeit brief ride reports over there. Anyway, from riding around in the street i can at least tell you that it's very plush and a really efficient pedaling bike, i will be able to tell you more once the forest workers get all those trees out of the way.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
For Freeride? I think the bike would be awesome for light to moderate freeride. With 6.7 inches of travel, I think it could holds its own. I believe its marketed as a very aggresive trail bike, so I dont think some freeride would hurt.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I rode one at the Dirt Demo at interbike. It was killer, and I spoke to the giant guys, and they said actually, its designed as a black diamond bike. Full on freeride. The regular Reign is an aggressive trail bike.

deelux 247

Chimp
May 10, 2004
Sherwood, Oregon
My wife bought me the X1 for christmas and I have had it on the trail 4 times now and have ridden everything from rolling singletrack to hitting probably 20' gaps on it and the bike has handled perfectly. The only changes that I have made is upgrading the tires to super tacky minions and I don't think I will have to do anything else for it. I honestly think that for the price there aren't any bikes out there that can come close to the value you get out of this bike. The bike pedals extremely well and is so easy to jump it's not even funny. If you get this bike you will be extremely happy with it. I was going to buy a bottlerocket but decided against it due to the weights that they were being built up at. If you have a chance to ride this bike do it and you will see exactly what I am talking about. I am 5'9 and I got a 16" which is a perfect fit. Anyways, if you have any other questions let me know and I will try to answer them for you.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Im def gonna get a fully this summer, right now im torn between a Reign x which would be better for trail riding, and building a Bottle Rocket for full on freeride. The Specs on the Reign Xs are fantastic, anyone know the weights?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Thanks for the insight, this is a lot of good info. Just for reference, I'd be getting the frame only and building it up with parts I already have.

DirtJumper999- care to elaborate on the ride?

Deelux247- Thanks for the report! It may be too early for you to tell, but I have a couple of questions: How does the rear end handle square edged hits? I've heard it does well. Also, how does it feel at speed? Fairly stable? And finally, a sizing question. Several people have said that this frame feels small, so I'm surprised at 5'9" you are riding the small. I'm 5'10" with long arms and am leaning towards the medium...

Mattmatt- I think the reign would match or possibly beat the bottle rocket for freeride, due to 1.2" more travel and similar geometry. Who knows though, I haven't ridden either. Also, apparently the reign X0 builds up to around 33, while the X1 is around 35...According to internet reports...

manitouman28

Chimp
Jul 1, 2005
Spencer, MA
Ive had my Reign X for a couple months now and it has been super. I use it for trail riding with some jumps and drops thrown in. It feels great on downhill-ish trails, really sucks everything up and feel good on the square edge stuff.
The bike also pedals really well (although Im having a tough time getting my SPV sherman firefly and DHX3.0 to really feel as one), Just raise the seat some and you can hammer the trails for hours, then just lower the seat and it can handle the downhills with ease.

Mine is currently built up around 36lbs but hope to get it around 34lbs when its really completed.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Yeah. I found that once I set in all of my adjustments into the shock, that the ride performed very well through the rough parts of the trail. The suspension performed well under powerful pedaling, and didn't buck me on square edged bumbs. Of course thats expected under a virtual pivot system. I had a Reign not to long ago. And I kept wishing it had slacker angles and a little more travel. And the Reign X is kind of exactly what i was looking for. It corners like it was on rails. The only thing I found on it that I wasn't too keen on, was that the cockpit seemed kind of cramped. Of course that probably could have been changed with a different stem or something along those lines. But over all I'd give it a 8 on descending, 7 on climbing, 9 for weight, 9 for cornering, 9 for technical ability, and a 9 for overall component spec. Probably a 8-9 for the overall ride.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
So do any of you race DH? I thought about building one up with a 7" dual Crawn fork. I have a friend that races his SX Trail with a WC Boxxer set at 7" and its much like the Reign X in many ways. He raced in the Worlds on it too. He loves it over his Demo for DH racing.

My thoughts on a build:

18" Reign X frame 6.7" T
Fox 40RC2 set at 7" T
Truvativ Stylo cranks
Azonic Outlaws
Thomson Stem and Seat Post
Easton A70 Bars
E-13 LG-1 Chain Guide
Sram X9
Sram RC 11-24
Juciy 7 brakes 8"
Michelin tubeless DH tires
Change the DHX 3.0 to a Cane Creek DB shock.

Thinking I can get the build around 32 lbs. I have a 07 Trance now setup for All-MT, DS, DJ's, and 4X riding. I love the thing. Its like a mini dh bike. I do have a 07 Glory on the way right now for the really big stuff.

Any thoughs?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
So do any of you race DH? I thought about building one up with a 7" dual Crawn fork. I have a friend that races his SX Trail with a WC Boxxer set at 7" and its much like the Reign X in many ways. He raced in the Worlds on it too. He loves it over his Demo for DH racing.

My thoughts on a build:

18" Reign X frame 6.7" T
Fox 40RC2 set at 7" T
Truvativ Stylo cranks
Azonic Outlaws
Easton A70 Bars
E-13 LG-1 Chain Guide
Sram X9
Sram RC 11-24
Juciy 7 brakes 8"
Michelin tubeless DH tires
Change the DHX 3.0 to a Cane Creek DB shock.

Thinking I can get the build around 32 lbs. I have a 07 Trance now setup for All-MT, DS, DJ's, and 4X riding. I love the thing. Its like a mini dh bike. I do have a 07 Glory on the way right now for the really big stuff.

Any thoughs?
Funny you should mention that, cause I'll defintely be using it for DH racing (as well as Super D). My build will be a bit more versatile, but similar:

18" Reign X
06 170mm 66sl
Truvativ Stylo's or Holzfellers (dual rings)
Sun Singletracks
Easton EA50 bars/Vice stem
E.13 DRS
Sram x.7/x.9
Juicy 5's 8" front, 6" rear
Maxxis Minion front, highroller rear
DHX 3.0 to DHX 5.0 (think I can get this from the factory?)

I think this frame will handle all but the gnarliest/fastest sections with ease. And be much easier to flick around and handle, not to mention the ability to go uphill (which I'll be using it for as well)

manitouman28

Chimp
Jul 1, 2005
Spencer, MA
I dont think the Reign X would have any troubles racing DH. Around where I live (New England) it would make a pretty killer downhill bike. Although I have a demo 8 which will be taking care of all the racing and lift access riding I'll be doing. While I primarily bought the Reign X for everything but downhill riding, though it may see a few trips to the mountains.

I was thinking of swapping some parts from my demo over to the Reign for a weekend during the summer to really see how well the Reign X frame does as a downhill frame.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin

Any thoughs?
The Trance is like a mini dh? Isn't the BB too high as they typicly are on XC bikes and don't you find the HA too step for 4x/agressive riding?

I say go for it, small bikes are the isht!

deelux 247

Chimp
May 10, 2004
Sherwood, Oregon
In reply to your question about how the bike handles square edge hits, the bike takes them better than any other bike I have ridden. Riding this weekend on some trails around the Seattle area I notice how well you can actually pedal through really rough sections of trail without having any kind of pedal feedback. As expected you don't have any brake-jack of any kind on this bike which is very nice compared to my old stinky. For sizing I rode a 17" kona and it felt perfect for me. The reign X I am riding now is the 16" and it feels perfect, granted I like to have a little bit shorter cockpit than most people but I think if you have an oppurtunity you should try out both sizes before deciding.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
In reply to your question about how the bike handles square edge hits, the bike takes them better than any other bike I have ridden. Riding this weekend on some trails around the Seattle area I notice how well you can actually pedal through really rough sections of trail without having any kind of pedal feedback. As expected you don't have any brake-jack of any kind on this bike which is very nice compared to my old stinky. For sizing I rode a 17" kona and it felt perfect for me. The reign X I am riding now is the 16" and it feels perfect, granted I like to have a little bit shorter cockpit than most people but I think if you have an oppurtunity you should try out both sizes before deciding.
Pics?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
The Trance is like a mini dh? Isn't the BB too high as they typicly are on XC bikes and don't you find the HA too step for 4x/agressive riding?

I say go for it, small bikes are the isht!
It is very much like a mini DH bike to me.... Not for real DH riding or racing. I do shuttle runs on that bike all the time. Its my All-Mountain bike. BB height is 13.75" and HT angel is around 67 to 68esh with my setup.

konakrik4

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
oregon
FCLinder, how is your trance set up? i've heard of and seen them built up as 4x race bikes ridden by Amiel Cavalier and other Giant team riders racing 4x. I'm looking at frames that are around the geometries and suspension travel that 4x race bikes have, so just asking questions.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
FCLinder, how is your trance set up? i've heard of and seen them built up as 4x race bikes ridden by Amiel Cavalier and other Giant team riders racing 4x. I'm looking at frames that are around the geometries and suspension travel that 4x race bikes have, so just asking questions.
07 18" Trance frame I am 5'11" with long arms
Rock Shox Revelation dual air fork with U-Turn
Easton EA/50 bars 1" rise
Azonic Outlaw wheel set
Michelin All Mountain 4X tires setup tubeless
LG1 Chain Guide with a 36 tooth setup
Hayes brakes
No name Ti seat
Turvative cranks

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169111&highlight=giant+trance

Looks really good FC, like the chain guide too, just don't know about the HA. I really like them slack, like the one on Gee's Commencal, since I'm going to be downhilling on it a lot. The light weight of the Trance is also a consern of mine, do you think it will hold up (I know Giant's warranty is :thumb: )?

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Funny you should mention that, cause I'll defintely be using it for DH racing (as well as Super D). My build will be a bit more versatile, but similar:

18" Reign X
06 170mm 66sl
Truvativ Stylo's or Holzfellers (dual rings)
Sun Singletracks
Easton EA50 bars/Vice stem
E.13 DRS
Sram x.7/x.9
Juicy 5's 8" front, 6" rear
Maxxis Minion front, highroller rear
DHX 3.0 to DHX 5.0 (think I can get this from the factory?)

I think this frame will handle all but the gnarliest/fastest sections with ease. And be much easier to flick around and handle, not to mention the ability to go uphill (which I'll be using it for as well)
Don't get the DHX 5.0 if you don't think you'll bee using the pro pedal. Just a waste of money then.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169111&highlight=giant+trance

Looks really good FC, like the chain guide too, just don't know about the HA. I really like them slack, like the one on Gee's Commencal, since I'm going to be downhilling on it a lot. The light weight of the Trance is also a consern of mine, do you think it will hold up (I know Giant's warranty is :thumb: )?
It's not built up for DH. I have a Glory for that. I said its like a mini DH bike to me because of the fun factor I have on it. The fame is solid too. I have been sponsored by many fame companies in my past 10 years of racing and can say this is a top notch frame. The trace is built just as solid as the Reign.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
It's not built up for DH. I have a Glory for that. I said its like a mini DH bike to me because of the fun factor I have on it. The fame is solid too. I have been sponsored by many fame companies in my past 10 years of racing and can say this is a top notch frame. The trace is built just as solid as the Reign.
I understood you the first time. I know how you ride it, I was talking about me, I'm looking for a short travel one and only bike to do mainly DH on cus I don't like big bikes. :) But I got my questions answered now. It will hold up for my riding. Thanks.

El Diablo

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Japan
Hey Deelux...in one post you said.....
I am 5'9 and I got a 16" which is a perfect fit. Anyways, if you have any other questions let me know and I will try to answer them for you.
I am 5'7" and I was wondering how small does the cockpit feel to you on your 16"? Would you reccomend a 15" for a guy my size?

Thanx

deelux 247

Chimp
May 10, 2004
Sherwood, Oregon
It all depends on what you are used to. I was riding a 17" stinky deelux before and this one feels really similar even with a little longer stem. If you have longer legs I would stay with the 16" because I just barely have enough seatpost to get the correct length for me. Just some thoughts but if I was a bettin man I would say go with the 16" and you should be just fine.

Jack Frost

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
if it really can be used as a capable downhill bike, its very intriguing. I'm a smaller rider so i think a lighter more flickable bike would be better.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
if it really can be used as a capable downhill bike, its very intriguing. I'm a smaller rider so i think a lighter more flickable bike would be better.
People say it's comparable to an SX trail, which can definitely be used as a capable DH bike. Geometry is similar, so I'm hoping it works just as well (if not better!)

These things are apparently being built up to 35lbs or so with fairly strong parts...so that qualifies as a light DH bike in my book

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Im really debating right now between a Bottle Rocket and a Reign X. On Giant's Website they list the Frame as 1100 which is right around the price of a BR. Id like to do more AM riding, but i feel like if i get a BR I would only shuttle and freeride with it.

Cecil, could you get me a sweet deal on a Reign X?:thumb:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Im really debating right now between a Bottle Rocket and a Reign X. On Giant's Website they list the Frame as 1100 which is right around the price of a BR. Id like to do more AM riding, but i feel like if i get a BR I would only shuttle and freeride with it.

Cecil, could you get me a sweet deal on a Reign X?:thumb:
Yep, Call Randy or Ric at the Great Escape 864-235-8320. I will let them know that you will be calling them.

I can tell you right now the Reign X will be a lot better as an all around DH bike. My friend has a BR and its more for FR and XC riding, also the BR has 6" and the Reign has 6.75".

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
yeah i was taking a close look at the reign X before i ended up getting the uzzi. reign x has low center of gravity, low BB, and with a taller fork like the totem would have an okay HA. VPP more advanced than the single pivot faux bars.

but comes with 1.125 headtube unfortunately.

i think if giant made a reign XX with a full 7 inch rear travel, slightly slacker HA, and 1.5 HT, it would be perfect for a lot of rides i do.

7 & 7 mini DH bikes are so hawt right now.