Quantcast

Anyone run a Intense M16 vs M9

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
M9 vs M16 (thinking of upgrading unless it's not worth the cost for little or any improvement)

Looked and there seems too big of a gap between them for any real comparison...
Geo is pretty similar and we can change all that with mullet, A2C, Angleset...

But numbers seem to be pretty similiar haven't seen a comparable leverage curve. They apparently are using a slightly longer shock and a 157mm boost rear....

If anyone has legitimate time on these 2 bikes let me know I am looking at sizing up not that an inch not that it hinders me...I had a blast on my M9...

My set up is mullet 27.5 front on fox 40, 26" rear 0* on headset. Middle setting on frame and center of rear..
I do have rear g3 in furthest setting for longer chain line and with my size it killed corners...

It seems that they kept in line with M9 only from what I can tell...

Resized_Resized_20210205_144238(1).jpeg

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
157mm on a DH bike is going to just be the same as old 150mm, but with extended endcaps which rest in the dropouts. Not the same as a 157mm superboost hub shell.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Big question is, is it worth it to upgrade to the m16?

I know they make little changes here and there, hit there doesn't seem to be a big change aside of rear wheel being 27.5...which I love mine in long g3 setting longer chain stay and it kills it on 27.5 or even better mullet 26 rear ..

But there could be a change that I'm not getting...

I like my 2014 I lay distance fast on it and rocks...it performed great at summit...bit maybe curve is smoother over rocks..

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
157mm on a DH bike is going to just be the same as old 150mm, but with extended endcaps which rest in the dropouts. Not the same as a 157mm superboost hub shell.
Fun fact.
Chainline and rim centerline IS
The same on
150, 157dh and 157 superboost.
If your being pedantic
You could say that brake side spoke flange is pushed towards the brake side disc brake flange some unagreedaupon distance with the result being the need for an asymmetrical profile rim or you get pretty asymmetric spoke angles.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Fun fact.
Chainline and rim centerline IS
The same on
150, 157dh and 157 superboost.
If your being pedantic
You could say that brake side spoke flange is pushed towards the brake side disc brake flange some unagreedaupon distance with the result being the need for an asymmetrical profile rim or you get pretty asymmetric spoke angles.
I assume it's not worth the upgrade from M9 to m16...
I just can't really find a good comparison or reviews of side by side I think due to the fact they didn't follow one another so quickly...I did read reviews staying it didn't corner as well as they would like but it was still playfull and loved speed in nasty

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Can you poopdeck this right into the whats wrong with the industry thread? thx

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Can you poopdeck this right into the whats wrong with the industry thread? thx
I don't have a 157mm bike, my brand new DH is still 150mm. But I don't mind endcaps being captured in the dropouts to make putting a wheel in easier a la my 142mm, versus 135 - I have no boost.

So no :p

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I thinking of trying a 2020 commencal supreme dh 29 and mullet it...that looks like where I may go...buddy is upgrading to the 2021 and offered me a hell of a deal for frame.....

I can't seem to see a huge difference between m16 and m9...love my m9...I can side by side it and the supreme and whichever fits my style I keep....totally different setups as far as wheelpatg and design...at least it's got a fair bit of separation from each other...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Just the proto M9 to compare to though:

The shock is not longer, it is just the metric version of basically the same length: 250/75 vs 240/76.

M9 looks better than the M16 IMO. Also: there is a uncertainty if the M16 was made in the US. At least the later model years are most likely not.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Just the proto M9 to compare to though:

The shock is not longer, it is just the metric version of basically the same length: 250/75 vs 240/76.

M9 looks better than the M16 IMO. Also: there is a uncertainty if the M16 was made in the US. At least the later model years are most likely not.
Maybe I'll powder coat it....
Yeah that's part of it I actually like the looks of the m9 but I LOVE the way it rides...I don't mind the long chain stay setting I think it has to do with my size and the way I throw a bike around anywase...
This many years later I'm always wanting to try stuff to see..
I have a few standout frames I love over the course of time and tons of different ones I've had and rode....the m9 is one that's top 3...for me personally

Last edited:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Maybe I'll powder coat it....
Yeah that's part of it I actually like the looks of the m9 but I LOVE the way it rides...I don't mind the long chain stay setting I think it has to do with my size and the way I throw a bike around anywase...
This many years later I'm always wanting to try stuff to see..
I have a few standout frames I love over the course of time and tons of different ones I've had and rode....the m9 is one that's top 3...for me personally
I always loved the M9, Yours looks sick in Raw, I say stick with the M9, It was a WC winning bike in its day, Still badass.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I have always wanted to ride one..what year forward would you look for?

From what I read even though they are both vpp they handle alot different....

i think 2018 was the year they altered the suspension. From what I heard it made a big difference to the bike....