Quantcast

Anyone see or heard about the Sea Otter DH course?

Just wondering if anyone's heard or knows if it's going to be the same as last year - sans all the mud hopefully. Are they putting wooden ladders back in in the top sections? The one into the first table was cool, but the second one before the hip jump was not-so-cool (kinda hard landing...). Of course, it's been two years I think since they had those... Is KD in charge of the course?
-S

Damn Rich, that is way better than what I had. The top section looks big now.
Daaaamn - yes it does look big - but also looks like the transitions are well shaped. Awesome looking build job, Dirtlab folks. What's the gappage on those doubles??? That first one looks at least 20' Kinda like the Inifinion doubles from last year? Now I need to figure out if I want my heavy, sinks-like-a-sherman-tank-in-the-air DH bike, or use my 6" travel FR machine which I think does a little better for getting me across larger gaps, but not quite as smooth in the freeway section and other bumpy parts. Looks like you guys had all kinds of different bikes out there during your building - any advice? I think I'll probably be wussing on the right side during my hardtail run :imstupid: Any other changes besides that top section? Thanks for the pics and vids, btw.
-S

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Wooden ladders up top, if I'm not mistaken, were removed after some lady on an XC bike rode up it, slammed on her front brake, and went into the fetal position after cracking her helmet from going over the bars.

Some people should not be allowed on the courses.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Haha it for sure is looking like a good case is about to happen.

As for the bike I am going to be using, I am going to use my 5.5 inch travel bike. I will make my decision on the bigger double there once I see it in person. If it really is 30ft like the dirtlab guys mention, thats pretty large. Well see. I'm heading out there Thursday morning to walk the course and check everything out.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
All the jumps look alot nicer now, berms too. Definately the most love that course has ever had, looks super fun. That pump track in the flickr pics looks pretty nice too. I'll be heated if it rains, the mud there is horrible.:huh:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
So far looks like the rain isn't supposed to get here until Monday. Keep your fingers crossed!

I'm still up in the air on what bike to ride

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Josh.

Would you feel better running a Pike up front?

It's got a thru-axle. I can pull the fork off my bike tonight if you want. You can even take my front wheel with a 20mm hub.

-Mike

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
The fork is a 140mm travel. It's the 454 Air U-turn w/ a Maxle-360. In other words, it's got Rock Shox Motion control (compression and lock-out), travel adjust, rebound and air-assist.

But, the major difference is that it's got the 20mm thru-axle.

If you want it, I just need to know by today so shoot me a txt message or call me. I can pull the fork off of the bike and remove my tube and tire in about 5 minutes. I just need to know in advance so you can pick it up late tonight or tomorrow.

I'd be willing to bet that the fork is 2x stiffer than your 32.

-Mike

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Hmm... I don't want to risk messing up your stuff man. I really appreciate the offer though. Thanks a bunch man. =]

What day(s) will you be out there again?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Dude. I've hit Z's on this fork, it's got surface scratches all over it. I wouldn't worry about it. If you want it, it's all yours. You'll just need the right amount of spacers, and we'll need the race off of your current fork to match up with your headset.

I'll be out there on Saturday from like 9am until about 3:30pm.

What day are you racing?

Yeah, the dub's up top look to be really sizable, but super smooth compared to yesteryear. I like the look of the new "step-up" right before the 1st berm. Looks like you can just pump up and over it now. That used to be my biggest trouble spot for the whole course.

Anyway, I predict some big carnage on the dub's....

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I predict that I want to witness the big carnage on the big dubs.

And I predict that I shall enjoy such carnage... at least I shall until someone actually gets really hurt.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I will be racing on Saturday.

I think the 32 will be ok. I have hit most of the stuff on Z's pretty comfortably. I will decide which way to hit the top section when i get out there.

There will be carnage out there for sure. I might have to be there early on Friday to catch beginner practice.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Definitely dude.

And my buddy will be out there with his new SLR shooting a few things, so we'll try to get me standing there, with my shirt on, with you flying off a double in the background.

LOL!