Quantcast

Anyone taking german before?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
How hard is it to learn I decided to take it this year instead of french and I thought it would be slack but ti's not.
The teacher is crazy and we have to like learn it in 15 weeks or we like fail. I've already done my second class and it brutal cause everyone seems to undersatnd so fats except for me and this girl. I'm alos like 1-2 years younger than everyone else. Should i drop it?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ciaran said:
I would work on the English grammer before taking on another language.
Seriously.

And German is a very, very structured language, so you might not enjoy it much. (then again, what language besides English isn't?) It's also not very practical, unless you plan on spending time in Austria or Germany or parts of eastern Europe where it's a common second language.

Personally, I like German, and wish mine was still as good as it was after I spent a few months in Austria.

MD

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Ciaran said:
I would work on the English grammer before taking on another language.
Sound advice. :p The problem may not be the choice in foreign language.

I don't think German is very difficult to learn, it follows the rules most of the time. Except when it doesn't even though it should.

MikeD said:
It's also not very practical, unless you plan on spending time in Austria or Germany or parts of eastern Europe where it's a common second language.
I finished up my BA in German last year. Now working on intl management. As to how practical it is, so far it hasn't been for me, but I'm hoping to get a job in Germany for a few years once I finally finish school. I like the language but I love the country.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
DO GERMAN!!!

Okay, sorry, I'm a German major at UC Santa Barbara, so I'm a little biased. But I've had a really good time with it, and it comes fairly easily to me. It's surprisingly similar to English, which made it fairly easy for me to learn the language. I'm definitely a fan, and since there aren't a whole lotta high school German programs available, I always encourage people to take advantage of any opportunity they get to learn German.

J

JRB

Since you could edit my post mocking the guy, would you mind editing the title so it reads correctly???

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Dude, take French so you can pass your drivers test that you were complaining about getting failed because you couldnt speak french.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
BurlySurly said:
Dude, take French so you can pass your drivers test that you were complaining about getting failed because you couldnt speak french.
A-HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
T-Pirate said:
German is hard. I don't like my german class very much.

No launguages are going to be "slack" to learn dude.

for sure... german blows, and never get "made" to take any language at an honors level, as our teacher says "if you get honors credit you can do honors work." although when I signed up for this crap it was "honors is the only one we offer, and is the same as the advanced."

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Oh by the way german class is going well. My first test I got 97% on but the second one not to sure about, haven;t gotten it back yet but I don't think I did to well lol.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have taken 5 years of german, i would have to say that it isnt hard to speak but it is difficult to write. Good language to know though, it basically got me my job...

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
3 years of german and it didn't help me ever. Except in Germany, but there it was even marginal.

Take Spanish. My wife was able to pick up French and Italian while we were in both of those countries because she's fluent in Spanish.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I had an awful time when I took French, but German came to me pretty easily. Still, I'm thinking about giving French or Spanish a try because they're so much more useful.

DerJoop

Chimp
Mar 19, 2004
Germany, Ruhrpott
riderx said:
du bist Scheisskopf
Jung, das ist mal falsch! Richtig wäre: "Du bist ein Scheisskopf", aber knallig hört sich das nicht an :D .

Am besten: "Du Scheisskopp", klingt härter und slang-mäßiger.

Ride on dude.

PS: Deutsch isnt hard ;)