Quantcast

Anyone try the new Nokian Gazzaloddi G tire?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I've got one.
Rolls quite well-45 duro and not slow rebounding- kinda like michy, square profile even on a 721 (21mm inside width) very good traction. I really liked it, but i pinch flatted it on the front 3 runs in a row! And that was with an 888. I didn't feel the fork bottom and ran it at 20psi. It is UST i think and i certainly would not use it again unless it was setup tubless. I'm not into tubless for DH so it was back to a Minion.
It really is one of my favorite feeling tires i've tried though. The size is spot on for me- Bigger that a Maxxis 2.5 smaller than a 2.7 and more squared up.
By far the best Nokian ever.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I thought the grip was very good. Not quite SRY good but it rolled so much faster, so it's a compromise. Better grip than say Michy rubber.About like a firmer ST or faster rolling nevie.

Tread is ass kickin. There is a transition knob nestled between every other side knob that could be clipped out for wetter/softer conditions.

I think that little knob helps to channel powdery dirt well though and keeps the side knob row firm for fast dry conditions, which was all i rode it in.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
sayndesyn said:
I'll pass...
It's a descent tread (minion f/909/comp 32)-but casing and rubber is the name of the game.Why not give it a try if it looks good.

This came out when Fabien/Kona signed up with them in 05. Never saw him on it though. He's allways runnin spikes it seems. not sure what he rocks nowadays.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It is an absolutely horrible tire in any kind of moisture, even humidity above 60% and so ridiculosly flat-prone that even thinking about them makes me want to strangle kittens. That are really, really, really, really bad in loose over hardpack conditions as well, feels like you are ice skating. In the 3 days I had a pair on my bike I got 7 flats running DH tubes and way too much pressure.

Better grip than a Michelin? No freaking way. I would run panaracer smokes over those things. The set that I tried nearly killed me.

Stay as far away from these tires as possible. Probally the single worst handling and performing tire I have EVER used, EVER.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SuspectDevice said:
It is an absolutely horrible tire in any kind of moisture, even humidity above 60% and so ridiculosly flat-prone that even thinking about them makes me want to strangle kittens. That are really, really, really, really bad in loose over hardpack conditions as well, feels like you are ice skating. In the 3 days I had a pair on my bike I got 7 flats running DH tubes and way too much pressure.

Better grip than a Michelin? No freaking way. I would run panaracer smokes over those things. The set that I tried nearly killed me.

Stay as far away from these tires as possible. Probally the single worst handling and performing tire I have EVER used, EVER.
wow...Nokian :dead:...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I wanted to like them, honestly I did. But they just sucked for riding here in New England. FTW had a set on his bike when he went out to AZ and NorCal this winter, and he didn't have any issues. I think those tires just hate moisture.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Likewise, I had the 2.3 on the rear with a 721 rim, and the thing was just skipping and bouncing all over the rocks. The profile is way too square, to the point where I was drifting on concrete (that's a unique feeling). I too pinch flatted after my 4th run on a buttery 9 inch Rotec RL9 with a Ti Avy. Back to the Hi Roller rear for me.