Quantcast

anyone use a "fork up"

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I have one, they work . one thing to watch is that they have flat blades on the no thru axel version, in other words the fork can slip out even if you thought you have the QR really tight on rough roads. I always used a ratchet tie down strap as a back up to the fork up retention system. Always assume that something can come loose so the ratchet strap adds some piece of mind.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I have one, they work . one thing to watch is that they have flat blades on the no thru axel version, in other words the fork can slip out even if you thought you have the QR really tight on rough roads. I always used a ratchet tie down strap as a back up to the fork up retention system. Always assume that something can come loose so the ratchet strap adds some piece of mind.
I'm following, I have access to a full metal shop welders, etc. I was thinking of welding some sort of tabs on to make that less prone to happening.

It looks like for $20 I cant go wrong.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Remember those front wheel retaining washers. Bascially a washer with a little 90deg protrusion. Couldn't we adapt that to the "fork up" by drilling two small holes on the blades?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I have one, it works well for me. I have never had it move once everything is tightened down. But I don't use it very often since only one of my trays is fork mount, the other two are Sidearms.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Like Quo Fan said mine pivots on the axle and if I am on a long drive I'll end up with the fork up laid down and the fork bottom resting on the fork up arm. (hard to describe) Theres a small dent on my fork bottoms where it rests on the fork up as a result.

Doesn't affect how it rides or anything, and I still use it when I need to.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have one in the Jeep as a "safety" in case I find myself needing to stick a 20mm fork on the QR-mount roof rack. The T2 in the rear handles the 20mm forked big bikes, while the QR rack on top is for the XC bike. However, there's been DH trips w/ 3 bikes where the fork up came in handy and worked well. There's really not much to worry about.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I had one when I used to have my rack on a BMW.
Worked well, but like everyone has said, back it up with a ratchet or a bungee.
It never came loose, but it only takes once to be really unhappy.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I'm thinking about making the holes complete and leaving it bolted to the roof rack to avoid the concern of it coming loose

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Did you read the review? what a dumb-ass

Actually, that description makes it sound more complicated than it is. It is, in fact, brain-dead simple. It is, admittedly, kind of challenging to hold the fork in place with one hand while sliding the thru-axle through dropouts and adaptor with the other hand, but unless you&#8217;ve got three arms, there&#8217;s no way around that conundrum. *
* There actually is a way around the conundrum. The folks at Hurricane components recommend that you install the Fork Up to your bike, by inserting the thru-axle, BEFORE puting it on the roof rack. Then, when you lift your bike onto your rack it should be as simple as mounting a regular bike with conventional fork dropouts. If Vernon had been able to think about more than just his aching knee when he wrote this, maybe he would have unravelled this mystery.

it wouldn't have even occurred to me that anyone would even try to put the fork up onto the rack BEFORE the bike....

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I used one when I had a 20mm thru-axl thingie...drove across the country with it. never failed.

I got a couple but dont use them. i will give you a good deal if you want em.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Like Quo Fan said mine pivots on the axle and if I am on a long drive I'll end up with the fork up laid down and the fork bottom resting on the fork up arm. (hard to describe) Theres a small dent on my fork bottoms where it rests on the fork up as a result.
It has to rotate about both the 20mm axle and 9mm qr mount for this to happen right? So to me that indicates it is not tight enough. Mine never moves once tightened down.

blacksim549

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Quebec.
I used to install it vertical, but with my old Faith of 45 pounds, broke one on the weld.

Now I install it (near) horizontal. Leverage ratio is less and never had problems since.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
i love mine, just haven't used it since i got my truck. i can't afford a bed rack just yet, and unless i'm shuttling up some real rough road i'm not worried about just layin it down in the bed. i'd like to get a rack again, just to keep it organized back there when i'm loaded up with two bikes and duffels for everyone.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
it wouldn't have even occurred to me that anyone would even try to put the fork up onto the rack BEFORE the bike....
That's how I did it..I always left my Fork Up on my rack and just lifted my bike up onto it. I never took the thing off.