Quantcast

Anyone used the IMBA Subaru discount?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You want to negotiate down toward the invoice price, correct?

And if I use the IMBA discount, I'd get the invoice price minus the discount?

That seems pretty good actually, if I'm reading correctly.
No, IMBA deal sets the price, no haggling allowed, It will not further reduce a negotiated price. If you want to buy now you can use the IMBA deal as a negotiating tool to get the dealer to give you near invoice price today instead of waiting 6 months for the sale.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
You want to negotiate down toward the invoice price, correct?

And if I use the IMBA discount, I'd get the invoice price minus the discount?

That seems pretty good actually, if I'm reading correctly.
Pricing starts at MSRP and you want to get down to invoice if you can. Then subtract any CUSTOMER REBATES, they are not the same as a discount off of the selling price.

Isn't it bad for your credit rating to shop around and apply until you get the lowest rate?
Inquiries do affect your credit score, but one or 2 isn't going to negatively change your score. If you walked into every single bank/credit union in town, and then every dealer and had them pull your credit you would ding your score.

Also, if the dealer is SMART, when they see you have a recent inquiry from a local bank or someone like e-loan/Cap one or whatever, they will know you are informed and offer you a better rate... But that is probably pushing the envelope of assumptions.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
No, IMBA deal sets the price, no haggling allowed, It will not further reduce a negotiated price. If you want to buy now you can use the IMBA deal as a negotiating tool to get the dealer to give you near invoice price today instead of waiting 6 months for the sale.
Right, but is the IMBA discount subtracted from the invoice price (meaning, the car is sold below invoice)? Or, does the discount essentially sell the car to you at invoice?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Right, but is the IMBA discount subtracted from the invoice price (meaning, the car is sold below invoice)? Or, does the discount essentially sell the car to you at invoice?
It sets the price at dealer invoice. The only way to go lower is if Subaru is currently offering additional incentives like cash back.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Isn't it bad for your credit rating to shop around and apply until you get the lowest rate?
At your score I don't think you need to worry about it. Look at bankrate.com and you'll see fairly quickly that eloan and capitalone are way lower than other outlets. The only better source maybe a credit union if you are a member? That's a quick call. They'll always quote their lowest rate which at 773 you're bound to be eligible for.

The trick is to have something in hand when you go to the dealer. Sometimes they can beat it sometimes they can't.

Seriously go look at http://www.carbuyingtips.com/, there are some great tips to put the process in your control and not the dealers. Either that or buy Rob (the NC variety) a ticket and have him negotiate the deal for you.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
At your score I don't think you need to worry about it. Look at bankrate.com and you'll see fairly quickly that eloan and capitalone are way lower than other outlets. The only better source maybe a credit union if you are a member? That's a quick call. They'll always quote their lowest rate which at 773 you're bound to be eligible for.

The trick is to have something in hand when you go to the dealer. Sometimes they can beat it sometimes they can't.

Seriously go look at http://www.carbuyingtips.com/, there are some great tips to put the process in your control and not the dealers. Either that or buy Rob (the NC variety) a ticket and have him negotiate the deal for you.
Right. Thanks, I was looking at those tips yesterday. Very helpful!

Is it too early to look into rates and apply for loans? If I decide to use the discount, it could feasibly be 6 months until I buy (unless I try to negotiate that price sooner). How long is the loan good for?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC

Is it too early to look into rates and apply for loans? If I decide to use the discount, it could feasibly be 6 months until I buy (unless I try to negotiate that price sooner). How long is the loan good for?
If you are 6 months away. Just go back to your daily life, and revisit this in 5.5 months.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.

Capital one locks the rate for 45 days. They literally send you a blank check.

http://www.capitalone.com/autoloans/loans/index.php?linkid=WWW_Z_Z_Z_ALDE_H2_01_T_ALNU

Not sure what eloan's deal is but its gotta be about the same.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you are 6 months away. Just go back to your daily life, and revisit this in 5.5 months.
By then the 2008 version is probably widely available and throughly reviewed.

Its a redesign too - probably has better performance and host of new features, a big one being stability control which is up there with ABS in terms of important safety technologies. It premieres next month.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
By then the 2008 version is probably widely available and throughly reviewed.

Its a redesign too - probably has better performance and host of new features, a big one being stability control which is up there with ABS in terms of important safety technologies. It premieres next month.
does the price drop much when the new line comes out?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Hopefully when the 08 comes out, the cost of the 07 will go down
See my previous comments, if they have a lot of 07's on the ground then yes it will. If not, it will make it difficult to get a good deal on those remaining 07's. Subie is not known for carrying a glut of inventory, so you are rolling the dice there. The worst case scenario for you would be that they dont have an 07 model/options that you want, and you end up paying more for an 08.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
See my previous comments, if they have a lot of 07's on the ground then yes it will. If not, it will make it difficult to get a good deal on those remaining 07's. Subie is not known for carrying a glut of inventory, so you are rolling the dice there. The worst case scenario for you would be that they dont have an 07 model/options that you want, and you end up paying more for an 08.
So, in your opinion, when would be the best time for me to buy this new car?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I think I read Ithaca's most popular car brand is Subaru - its probably harder to get a good deal at the Ithaca dealership. How far away are other Subaru dealerships?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
When the '08 Impreza's come out, the price of pre-08 models *should* drop. There is a new body style to be released. If it is all the hype, people will love it and the older models will sell for less because they will be sitting next to the new models. If not, they will not drop because the new model is fugly.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
When the '08 Impreza's come out, the price of pre-08 models *should* drop. There is a new body style to be released. If it is all the hype, people will love it and the older models will sell for less because they will be sitting next to the new models. If not, they will not drop because the new model is fugly.
Pics?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
see downhiller's thread. End of the thread. I give it a *meh*, which means I will be buying and 06/07 sti instead of a new one.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
see downhiller's thread. End of the thread. I give it a *meh*, which means I will be buying and 06/07 sti instead of a new one.
How can you compare the cars without any solid information other than unofficial pictures?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Dude - if it doesn't look good then The Joker is NOT gonna buy it. :D
Well they could be photochops and the STI isn't exactly the high point of automotive styling especially if you get it with a giant wing on the back :disgust1:

If he wants real performance he can buy an old skyline and have my friend's company put their AWD conversion kit in it

One of Car and Driver's picks from this year's SEMA:

CD said:
Full Race R14 Conversion - Auto Shows

2006 SEMA Show
BY JARED HOLSTEIN, November 2006

On most car nut’s fantasy wish list is the giant-killing Nissan Skyline GTR, never sold in the United States. At the top of our “me want” list from SEMA is Full Race Engineering’s www.full-race.com R14 conversion kit, which installs the full R32 (first-generation) Skyline GTR powertrain, all-wheel drive and all, into 1989–1998 Nissan 240SXs. Full Race had a running, driving example in their booth, which tips the scales at just 2700-odd pounds; the real R32 GTR weighs over 500 pounds more. Moreover, the converted 240SX remains left-hand drive; without popping the hood, no one (police, insurance companies, Ferrari drivers, etc.) would know the car isn’t standard. The kit, which should cost around $15K, GTR powertrain not included, comes with double-wishbone front suspension, adjustable Koni coil-overs, steering rack, subframe, engine and transmission mounts, 4WD torque-split converter, driveshafts and other essentials.

Full Race is also known for conjuring up the sexiest, most finely fabricated forged stainless steel, robotic TIG-welded exhaust manifolds this side of million-dollar racecars; turbo kits for power levels up to 1400 horsepower are available. Turnkey cars with a name-your-horsepower/price tag option are in the works.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
PS pros on the subie boards are calling photoshop. As for SS's comment, I will not buy a car I find unattractive (see new 3-series) . I put in my performance requirements, which creates a list of possible cars. After that, it comes down to price, comfort, and looks. What can I say, I'm a nancy boy consumer.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Good prices?
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: In 2002 I was looking to buy an Outback. I was trading in a Honda Prelude. I went to a dealer a few miles from my house, drove the Outback, decided it was what I wanted. When we started talking price, literally THE FIRST WORDS out of the salesman's mouth were "We will beat Van Bortel's price". I should have known right away that Van Bortel was the benchmark.

Anyway they looked up Van Bortel's price on the intarweb for the same car, and quoted me a price $50 less. Then came the issue of my Prelude. I happened to check the KBB trade in value before I went there, it was $3850. The jackass offers me $1200. I was like dude you have 2 minutes to come back with a realistic trade in value. He comes back with $1500. I was like fine I'm leaving. He says "wait, the regional auction manager just walked in, let me talk to him". Whatever. He comes back and says "the regional manager is in a good mood, he says he will personally give you $1800 for your car".

I left and called Van Bortel and asked them how they calculate trade in value. They said they will look it up in KBB, and if they are giving me less, they will state the reasons in writing. Further, they said they will buy the car from me for that amount whether I buy a car from them or not. I drove down there that afternoon, they looked at my Prelude, looked at the KBB, and said "power antenna's broken, $120 to fix, piece of window moulding missing, $85 to fix. We will give you $3645 for your car."

I was like "OK, I will take that Outback right there, when can I pick it up?" They were like don't you want to drive it? Nope, already did at the other dealer. Don't you want to take some time to think about it? Nope. Best car buying experience ever, and I've bought A LOT of cars in my 25 years of driving.

I've had a few more OUTSTANDING experiences with them since, but this post is already too long.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: In 2002 I was looking to buy an Outback. I was trading in a Honda Prelude. I went to a dealer a few miles from my house, drove the Outback, decided it was what I wanted. When we started talking price, literally THE FIRST WORDS out of the salesman's mouth were "We will beat Van Bortel's price". I should have known right away that Van Bortel was the benchmark.

Anyway they looked up Van Bortel's price on the intarweb for the same car, and quoted me a price $50 less. Then came the issue of my Prelude. I happened to check the KBB trade in value before I went there, it was $3850. The jackass offers me $1200. I was like dude you have 2 minutes to come back with a realistic trade in value. He comes back with $1500. I was like fine I'm leaving. He says "wait, the regional auction manager just walked in, let me talk to him". Whatever. He comes back and says "the regional manager is in a good mood, he says he will personally give you $1800 for your car".

I left and called Van Bortel and asked them how they calculate trade in value. They said they will look it up in KBB, and if they are giving me less, they will state the reasons in writing. Further, they said they will buy the car from me for that amount whether I buy a car from them or not. I drove down there that afternoon, they looked at my Prelude, looked at the KBB, and said "power antenna's broken, $120 to fix, piece of window moulding missing, $85 to fix. We will give you $3645 for your car."

I was like "OK, I will take that Outback right there, when can I pick it up?" They were like don't you want to drive it? Nope, already did at the other dealer. Don't you want to take some time to think about it? Nope. Best car buying experience ever, and I've bought A LOT of cars in my 25 years of driving.

I've had a few more OUTSTANDING experiences with them since, but this post is already too long.
Sounds like we need to be taking a little road trip and see what they can do for us.

Thanks for the heads up man! :D

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
bump...

I'm thinking the end of this month looks good to visit the Subaru dealer. They're offering 1k cash back and lower financing rates right now. I still have a few months to go on the IMBA discount, but from everything you guys have said, it looks like I should try for it. Question is, does the deal still allow for the cash back?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
IIRC, the way VanBortel does their pricing, the IMBA discount doesn't get you anything. Can't hurt to ask though. A few of their employees ride so they are familiar with the IMBA deal.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
What if you're going there saying "I'm eligible for this discount in a couple months, but I want to buy now and take XXX car off the lot. If you'll give me the IMBA price now, I'll take it, otherwise I'll go elsewhere or just wait."

Any shot of getting anywhere with that?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What if you're going there saying "I'm eligible for this discount in a couple months, but I want to buy now and take XXX car off the lot. If you'll give me the IMBA price now, I'll take it, otherwise I'll go elsewhere or just wait."

Any shot of getting anywhere with that?
It worked for me. I still had two months to wait (I had only recently joined IMBA). I told the dealer if I had to wait for the discount, I'd come back in two months. They honored the discount.