Quantcast

Anyone want to help me downgrade from Vista to XP?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I had to buy a new PC for the vinyl business as the older one crashed and burned.

It currently has Vista on it but my vinyl machines drivers only go up to XP so I need to downgrade. I can't use this laptop for my business if it is in vista. I only use illustrator on this machine and nothing else.

Is there anyone in VT, Chittenden County or close buy that wants to help me downgrade? I don't have the software but if someone wanted to take the machine or come over and let me use their XP disc and they can downgrade for me, I would be very grateful.

There are free decals of whatever you want in this and I can throw some gas money or a small payment as well.

I am a mac guy so I am clueless as how to do this on windows, I haven't used a PC other than for my vinyl machine.

I don't want to get raped by those geek squad guys and I need to get this done ASAP as I have quite a few orders piled up.

Shoot me a pm or rufusphotography@mac.com

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
D'oh. Vista business offers a free downgrade to XP.

Just FYI, having the XP disc isn't enough. You need an XP license as well. I don't have any extras, or I'd offer you one.

That said, installing XP isn't hard. If you can afford a copy, buy it and do it yourself. Just go to your laptop manufacturer's website and download the XP drivers for your laptop, put them on a CD or a USB flash drive, and you'll be good to go. The XP installer walks you right through the process: you can format the drive, reload the operating system, and install the drivers.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
D'oh. Vista business offers a free downgrade to XP.

Just FYI, having the XP disc isn't enough. You need an XP license as well. I don't have any extras, or I'd offer you one.

That said, installing XP isn't hard. If you can afford a copy, buy it and do it yourself. Just go to your laptop manufacturer's website and download the XP drivers for your laptop, put them on a CD or a USB flash drive, and you'll be good to go. The XP installer walks you right through the process: you can format the drive, reload the operating system, and install the drivers.
Fair enough, thanks for that info, much appreciated. Like I said, I am an idiot with windows and I am still not a fan.

Thanks BV

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Both Vista Business and Ultimate qualify for downgrade license rights including OEM. Not that it matters in your cause, but for Office only retail versions qualify. Are you sure the XP drivers won't work in Vista?

You can install Windows 7 RC, its coming out May 5th and it has a few virtual XP modes, I think when you run the full virtual machine you have USB device support. I am not sure of the requirements for the VM each features but you can use the beta until June 2010 for free and as long as you have a newer CPU it might work.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/05/01/windows_7_xp_mode_review/

Last edited:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Probably way too long for you to wait, but I'll be up in Grand Isle over Memorial Day weekend. If you're still having problems I'd be willing to stop by and help you out then.