Quantcast

Anyone wear ankle protection?

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
Last few weeks I seem to be taking some pretty good hits in the foot / ankle region.

I wear normal SPD shoes... I've hit myself in the ankle pretty good before and it definitely messed me up for a while.

Anyone out there wear foot or ankle protection? If so, what do you use / suggest?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I wear a lace up ankle brace like 661 offers on my ankle I sprained long ago....as support. My new shoes (SPD Van's) have a pad over the bike side ankle and a low top outside ankle I don't have to much trouble hitting my ankles but others do.

I never went for the Axo ankle biters and the like.

I am running Azonic 3pc chromo and FSA 3pc chromo .

Rhino

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
No protection no brace.

Although I think a plate and some screws on the outside offer a pretty decent barrier... :rolleyes:

Tried the 661 race brace thing but darn screws under the skin rub and hurt SOOO bad when the brace is on, figured what the heck I can live with the pain of the ankle muscles rather than the pain of the screws on skin

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by mplutodh1
No protection no brace.

Although I think a plate and some screws on the outside offer a pretty decent barrier... :rolleyes:

Tried the 661 race brace thing but darn screws under the skin rub and hurt SOOO bad when the brace is on, figured what the heck I can live with the pain of the ankle muscles rather than the pain of the screws on skin
Yuck...you ever plan on taking them out?

I have a screw in my leg from a motorcycle (dirt bike) crash where I broke my fibia and tibia right above the ankle....they put a large screw in there and said if it ever bothered me they could take it out....well that was :-)think: add 4, :think: carry the 2, :think: subtract a chicken and times it by a pudding pop....) uh I must be hungery...it was about 13 years ago.

Not nearly as bad as yours....from the sounds of it. *still yucks me out*

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I wear some lightweight 661 Velcro-fastened ankle pads, which I bought at a clearance sale in 2002, so they probably aren't made any more. I also got some last year with my Dainese shin pads, but they fell apart quickly and were hard to get on and off. I don't mind wearing them at all, and they are way more comfortable than my cranks :D.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I've had the ones that came with my Dainese knee pads for a year now but just started wearing them when I bought my Nucleon. The swingarm is so damn wide that I keep bruising my ankles on it.

The guards do their job and I don't notice them when I'm riding, good enough for me.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I used to wear the AXO ankle biters and they worked really well. Recenly I switched to shoes (Hematomas) with ankle protection built in. That works too.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I wear a air cast every time i ride. I've rolled my ankle so many times i just use it as a precaution.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you like racey SPD shoes (like me) then try the Sidi high tops. I can't remember the model name but they look just like the dominator except with a high top. They are $110 MSRP.
I really liked riding in my dominators except I would have a scab on the insde of each ankle after a ride. They last forever too.

D

Dingus McGee

Can I see a picture of the Dainese ankle protectors?
I can't find em on Dainese.com

Thanx

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
Originally posted by Acadian
keep in mind the ankle biters will protect your ankles from pedal and rocks, but doesn't offer any support.

the 661 lace up brace offers both.
Thanks Acadian, I'll see if I can find a place that has both. I'll see if Cambria has anything while Im up there this weekend.

I dont know if i need support or anything, but i dont think that could hurt.

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
Originally posted by Dingus McGee
Can I see a picture of the Dainese ankle protectors?
I can't find em on Dainese.com

Thanx

Dainese Knee Gaurd Plus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description:
Knee-shin composite protector
Removable ankle protector with strap system

I assume that's what he's talking about?