Quantcast

Appalaches Réal Review

Dufault01

Chimp
Nov 10, 2005
Well, as much as I loved my bb7, theres 2 things that strike me as a little off about the Réal. First of all, thanks to that douche who claimed some rediculous weight of 33 pounds, people think this bike is feather weight. I dont know what scale you guys are using but theres no way its 8.5 pounds even with a ti spring. I know when I test rode it, the bike was at 39 pounds pimped out with a deemax wheelset and some of the lightest components out there. Its a long travel relatively heavy DH bike. Not that theres anything wrong with that. Just dont make it out to be that the weight is representative of a trail bike.

Secondly, reviews are supposed to review good and bad. You forgot the bad which is painfully obvious to any racer in the rear end. Its called flex and its has plenty of it. The review was titled survival of the fittest? Perhaps natural selection through mutation or rather engineering has not yet gotten around to evolving to a 12mm rear end. The bike litterally sucks the energy out of you when your trying to power through turns.

Now I dont hate the bike. It really does ride like a somewhat lighter bb7. The bike rides over rocks like a cloud just like a quebec bike should.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Review said:
Regardless, my Balfa and many others are alive and kicking (or kickin' ass if you're into racing), a quality not very common in a world of high maintenance race bikes.
The BB7 was not a high maintenance bike? Is that a joke?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
these appalache guys need to give it a rest w/ these thinly veiled advertorials.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
JRogers said:
Clearly, you didn't read the disclaimer at the bottom of the review:rolleyes:

;)
talk about amateur hour. when was it posted? today? hmm...

konarider98

Chimp
Mar 14, 2005
Newburyport Ma.
Polandspring88 said:
The BB7 was not a high maintenance bike? Is that a joke?
wheres the sarcasm meter? I loved the two BB7's i had and my current one. they are high maintnance but with the right care they are perfect(working and not breaking wise) Every thing needs maintnance so a little more wont hurt. i would have liked to see a few more things in the Real. First off as Dufault stated a 12mm axel could really help it. next maybe some more shock mounting holes? with everyone liking different headtube angles and bottom bracket hieght's thats a must. last of all is Wheres the floating brake? this is the same pivot design as its predicessor, and the BB7 had alot of brake jack. and maybe they could make some parts for us BB7 owners.

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
dump said:
these appalache guys need to give it a rest w/ these thinly veiled advertorials.
subtle marketing
isn't it the same as with the tsumani of morewood bike shaolin gorilla marketing as of late? maybe next year banshee will prophecize a 32.5lbs bender bike built with Fox 40 12" travel fork. rotec should be next in line if it has not already hit the flash point in the pan.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
zedro said:
bah, people have been doing that here for years, so you'll buy from the 'bros' instead of the big evil marketing machines like Trek or the like....
Wait, you mean it's bad to buy a properly tested and engineered bike with a warranty they will stand by?

Damn.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
zedro said:
bah, people have been doing that here for years, so you'll buy from the 'bros' instead of the big evil marketing machines like Giant or the like....
fixed :oink:

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
My apologies to those of you who think I wrote an advertisement. I tried not to come at it from the point of view of good and bad, but rather what it actually felt like. If you read through the review I hope I gave you a pretty good idea of what it felt like. As you might have realized from the review I spent most of my time on a BB7 prior to the test. As a result I did much of my comparison to the BB7. In terms of rear flex, well like I said I’m used to a BB7 with a regular rear end.

Anyway if you can get past the fact two months after I wrote the article I decided to get into the cycling industry and represent the Canadian distributor I think you’ll be able to find out what the bike rides like or if you prefer the good and the bad. Those were my impressions. Just because I happened to enjoy it doesn’t mean it is fiction.

If you did enjoy the artile feel free to look around the rest of the site. The guys at Asilvertouch.com have been working hard to put out origonal material.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
My BB7 weighed in at a real 39lb,I don't doubt that with the same kit on a real it would weigh alot less. I never did any major undue or exessive maintanense to any of the BB7s I owned and never had any mechanical problems. I ran a bolt up Hadley rear(135) and didn't notice any rear flex(I'm light but). The guy liked it so much he decided to represent the company,that says it all to me. Awsome bike I'm sure going on my BB7 experienses.
They squat under brakes,witch is about the equivallent to the fork dive you get.
I'm now happilly riding a Brooklyn Racelink and have no reason at all to say these things accept I really genuinelly loved my BB7s and found no faults with thier design.

glivingston5

Chimp
May 9, 2005
konarider98 said:
wheres the sarcasm meter? I loved the two BB7's i had and my current one. they are high maintnance but with the right care they are perfect(working and not breaking wise) Every thing needs maintnance so a little more wont hurt. i would have liked to see a few more things in the Real. First off as Dufault stated a 12mm axel could really help it. next maybe some more shock mounting holes? with everyone liking different headtube angles and bottom bracket hieght's thats a must. last of all is Wheres the floating brake? this is the same pivot design as its predicessor, and the BB7 had alot of brake jack. and maybe they could make some parts for us BB7 owners.
they do make a floating brake for the bb7, i have one on mine

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Just for the record about weights, the Real without a shock is 7lbs, 4 oz. Add 2lbs for a steel coil-over 6 Way = 9lbs 4oz.

The BB7 was high maintenance to those who did not/could not maintain their bikes. The older ones had roller problems (which was easily fixable), yet the newer models were bomb proof. The Real is 10x better engineered.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Wayne said:
Just for the record about weights, the Real without a shock is 7lbs, 4 oz. Add 2lbs for a steel coil-over 6 Way = 9lbs 4oz.

The BB7 was high maintenance to those who did not/could not maintain their bikes. The older ones had roller problems (which was easily fixable), yet the newer models were bomb proof. The Real is 10x better engineered.

thats a light frame, however i think that weight figure for the 6way might be a bit off, maybe for a dhx its correct. (both as in its a better shock and that its considerably lighter)