Quantcast

Apple iPod Mini

Warped

Monkey
Dec 31, 2001
Illinois
I'm going to buy an iPod mini to replace my old Compaq mp3 player. I was just about to order it when I saw that delivery isn't expected for four weeks. I really don't have that kind of patience so I was wondering if an iPod mini with larger capacity is expected any time in the near future?? If not, I'll just order it now but I figured that even if I had to wait a couple months rather than 4 weeks, a larger drive would be worth it.

Thanks.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I don't believe a larger-sized hard disk has ben produced in the size that the Mini uses, so there isn't much chance that they'll release one in the next month. I imagine you're safe ordering one now.

Which color?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BigMike said:
I dont understand the ipod mini.... Its not THAT much smaller, and for another $50 you get a lot more storage space :confused:
it shows it's not all about the specs. it is quite a bit smaller and lighter, and 4 gb is enough for many people. my 5 gb gen 1 ipod is just about the right size for me, really, so if i were in the market i'd probably snap one up.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Toshi said:
it shows it's not all about the specs. it is quite a bit smaller and lighter, and 4 gb is enough for many people. my 5 gb gen 1 ipod is just about the right size for me, really, so if i were in the market i'd probably snap one up.

Right now i've got about 13 gigs of music..... :D

GizmoInc

Chimp
Jun 14, 2004
Vancouver BC
the company making the harddrives has a hard time keeping up with the sales, that's why there is a 4 week waiting period, they don't even sell them in europe yet because the demand is too high in USA.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BigMike said:
Right now i've got about 13 gigs of music..... :D
i have 9 or so myself. but it's really easy to just check a box to select which playlists you'll sync to the ipod that day...

Warped

Monkey
Dec 31, 2001
Illinois
Well, I was told that I can get one at Best Buy so I'll head over there today to check them out. If they don't have them, I'll stop by the store in St. Louis next week while I'm meeting with two potential college counselors from Wash U and SLU..

The iPod will be a good start to my full Mac conversion.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
rio karma. 20GB, gapless playback, none of the battery issues which plague the iPods, and cheaper.

'nuff said on the subject. a 40GB version should be out soon. i thought 20GB would be plenty but mine is jammed and there's plenty i would put on if i could.

Warped

Monkey
Dec 31, 2001
Illinois
narlus said:
rio karma. 20GB, gapless playback, none of the battery issues which plague the iPods, and cheaper.

'nuff said on the subject. a 40GB version should be out soon. i thought 20GB would be plenty but mine is jammed and there's plenty i would put on if i could.

That's quite possibly the ugliest mp3 player ever made. There's other "iPod Killers" that I'd much rather have.

Warped

Monkey
Dec 31, 2001
Illinois
I've got another question that's fairly on-topic....

I downloaded iTunes and burnt a CD into my library just fine but now I'm trying to get some other music into there that I already had on my computer from another CD. I tried the Import feature but that only searches for .txt files and two other I'm not familiar with. Then I tried Add file to playlist. I highlighted the songs (tried highlighting just one song as well) but when I'd click on Open, nothing would happen. Am I doin something wrong here? Toshi?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
did you try to just drag them onto the itunes library window?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Warped said:
That's quite possibly the ugliest mp3 player ever made. There's other "iPod Killers" that I'd much rather have.
you don't have to look at it, just listen to it. are you really that concerned about visual qualities of an audio component?

:nopity:

seriously, if you like to listen to live recordings or boots and don't want gaps between the songs, or want the highest fidelity possible (FLAC), there's really no other alternative.

Warped

Monkey
Dec 31, 2001
Illinois
Usually I'm not concerned about looks but that's especially bad, imho. I don't think judging it by that is too big of a deal since there are other high capacity non-iPod mp3 players out there that are excellent products.

anyway, I reserved a silver iPod mini today that will be here in a week and a half...

Warped

Monkey
Dec 31, 2001
Illinois
Toshi said:
did you try to just drag them onto the itunes library window?
Ok...that worked. But, this was a CD I had burned at an earlier time and put it back on this computer so all of the files were named "Track 01" and so on. How do I edit this? Do I make a new folder with the artist name as the title and then rename the file to the song name?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Warped said:
Ok...that worked. But, this was a CD I had burned at an earlier time and put it back on this computer so all of the files were named "Track 01" and so on. How do I edit this? Do I make a new folder with the artist name as the title and then rename the file to the song name?
press apple-i. i guess this would be alt or ctrl-i? on windows. or right click, pick Get Info, and edit in the Info pane. you can do this for multiple songs too to give them all the same album, artist, composer etc.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah its great to have a mp3player instead of an expensive paperweight (ie iPod or Mini iPod) cause the battery lasts as long as two iPods, has better sound quality, gapless, better file system for audio playback, FLAC, plus cost and weighs less (talking about the Rio Nitrus)

If you want to compare in the same class, mini HDD mp3players, Rio (August 2003), Creative (Sept. 2003), iRiver (Oct. 2003) beat Apple to market by over 6 months and yet Jobs didn't even acknowledge these players in the unveiling but compared them to flash based players and acted like the mini was using new technology. As usual, Apple is all image no innovation. Only the mindless general public think they are innovators...

The iPod Mini player's only asset is the iPod name over the competition (which is very important if you understand marketing).

Specs:
Creative Muvo2 = 3.2 oz, 14hr battery, USB 2.0, Sliver/Black or Silver/Gray
Rio Nitrus = 2 oz, 16hr battery, USB 2.0, black or silver/black
iPod Mini = 3.6oz, 8hr battery, FireWire or USB 2.0, easter/feminine colors
iRiver iGP-100 = 3.8 oz., 12 hr battery, USB 2.0, blue, white, grey
Photos:
Rio Nitrus

Creative Muvo2

iPod Mini

iRiver iGP-100
Now if you are agonizing over what a MINI mp3player looks like, perhaps you aren't getting the idea - its supposed to be very small, so you can put it in your pocket it and LISTEN to it. Or perhaps since the battery dies so much sooner the only way you can entertain yourself is to stare at it and thats why its important to you :eviltongu

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
The one thing that i like about the ipod minis' more is the way that you have more options as how to set up your music.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I think the main strength of the iPod is the interface and simple design, nothing else compares even remotely to the ease of use and clean lines.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you believe the BS Jobs feeds you, yeah. Otherwise you are fooling yourself, cause in reality the the Rio Karma works better than any of the iPods I've tried (1G and 3G)...

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
Warped said:
did you ever wonder why they're called ipod killers in the first place? they always have to compare it to the best!

i dig my 40 gigger ipod...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MtnBikerNJ said:
did you ever wonder why they're called ipod killers in the first place? they always have to compare it to the best!

i dig my 40 gigger ipod...
Most popular != best. The "killer" terminology usually referrs to the item's market share - it's not necessarily "killer" in that it's competing with the best, just aiming to take over a good chunk of market share.

Battery life, for me, is the first thing I look at in portable electronics and would keep me from ever owning an iPod. Your snazzy, clean lined, pretty, high storage capacity iPod isn't even as good my Wal-Mart special when the screen blinks "Battery Low" then turns off...