Quantcast

Apple Rips Creative, Pays $100M Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
So no link to the aformention test results? Or are they secret?
Use the search tool on RM, this isn't exactly a new debate to see prior benchmarks (if they haven't been taken offline due to age?). Its complete obvious the G series was slower and inferior. Apple itself has said the The Intel Core Architecture was faster and more efficient when they announced they were switching (specifically the G5 iMac vs. the Intel Core Architecture iMac and G4 mini vs. the Intel Core Architecture mini.)

Also I do not beleive your assumption that myself as well as other RM users are just too inept to use a PC, and if we are then bravo for Apple for making a computer that us inept retards can use without issue. But as I do ot beleive that we are a bunch of idiots, perhaps you could enlighten us as to the "proper" way to use a PC. I was somehow able to batch proccess over 1000 RAW images last night on my G5 in about an hour, imagine what I could have doe on a PC if I olny knew how to operate one. When I tried that sort of thing on my old PC it used to like to crash left and right. The thing I like about Apple is that I can buy a new computer, take it out of the box, load Photoshop, then start working in under 30 mins, and it will keep working fine for years, I don't need to kow a "proper" way of using it.
Doing mudane tasks like that is easy. Push real cutting edge high-end stuff - well its done on PC (from another thread):

Eyal Erez: I've worked on "The Aviator," "Christmas with the Kranks," "Spider-Man 2," "Hellboy," "The Matrix Revolutions," "Visitors," "Ghost Ship," "The One," "Smallville," "Angel," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," and some music videos and commercials

Bell: What type of equipment/supplies do you utilize for special effects?

Erez: We use powerful pc's running on Linux. Most of our tools use parallel computers which speeds up things tremendously. Sometimes I'll have 40 computers working in parallel to render my images. We also use special light/camera rigs that capture data from actors for digital character replacement. We then take this data and generate a digital double of the actor, which we then animate into a shot in the film. We use it in many cases where a real stunt double can't make the performance needed.

Animal Logic (runs Red Hat)
The stunning special effects in the movies Moulin Rouge, The Matrix and The Matrix Reloaded may be out of this world, but for post production company Animal Logic they are all part of its team's creative genius. To help realise its amazing visions, Sydney-based Animal Logic is progressively relying on Hewlett-Packard (HP) workstations as the platform for developing data intensive animation and special effects images.

For the wide variety of projects on their production slate during the next few years, the company is installing up to 100 HP xw6000 workstations running a range of sophisticated 2D and 3D software applications. They complement 20 HP x4000 workstations deployed in 2002. Teaming with HP reseller, Storm FX, Animal Logic chose HP for its price/performance, its broad range of technology offerings, proven development path and its commitment to the unique needs of a leading post-production house.
Industrial Light & Magic - they've won numerous scientific, technical, and academy awards over the years. Did they use Macs or PCs - nope, too low end until recently. They recently switched from SGI to PCs running Linux. Dreamworks also use PC running Linux. All the cutting edge breakthrough special effects - on PCs these days...

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I just wonder what your issue is with a company that makes claims it can't support, while you yourself make arguments against that company that you can't support.
My claim was supported 100% - Apple's G5 ad was banned in the US and UK for false advertising - end of story... It wasn't the fastest and it wasn't the first 64-bit PC. I gave you a history of 64-bit PC which were available - thats plenty of evidence. I've posted Barefeats, SPEC, and other various sources for benchmarks in the past.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I want to perform worldwide weather pattern analysis and phone tapping scanning for the entire United States and Europe.

Should I set up my 1,024 node Beowulf cluster, or just pony up for a Cray Supercomputer?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I want to perform worldwide weather pattern analysis and phone tapping scanning for the entire United States and Europe.

Should I set up my 1,024 node Beowulf cluster, or just pony up for a Cray Supercomputer?
:rolleyes:

The machines Animal Logic uses are hardly exotic - currently would cost them about $1000 USD each for a base X4000 and $1500 USD each for a base xw6000. The ones ILM uses are even cheaper machines:

The Computers of ILM

ILM says they have rarely seen artists get excited by hardware, but artists fought to get the new Linux workstations--Dell single-CPU P4s with NVIDIA Quadra 2 Pro graphics cards. The question became, ``Where's my Linux box?''...
To answer your question about communication system espionage - the government has the Narus STA 6400 - part of a system which consists of:

24-by-48 feet, containing perhaps a dozen cabinets including such equipment as Sun servers and two Juniper routers, plus an industrial-size air conditioner.
Sun currently sells systems with their own and AMD Opteron CPUs, but which sun server models that are being used is classified. These Narus machines are deployed in all major metro areas on communication backbone circuits and monitor:

NarusInsight focuses on two layers: number four, the transport layer, built on standards like TCP and UDP, the physical building blocks of internet data traffic, and number seven, the application layer, built on standards like HTTP and FTP, which are dependent on the application using them, i.e. Internet Explorer, Kazaa, Skype, etc. It monitors 10 billion bits per second at level four and 2500 million bits per second at level seven. For reference, the 256K DSL line...equals .25 million bits per second. So one NarusInsight machine can look at about 39,000 DSL lines at once in great detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.