Quantcast

apple shuffle?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
slowSSer said:
the shuffle appears to have a AAA battery pack option. better than the propriatary battery in the iPod?
yeah but can't ya upgrade the ipod battery?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Snacks said:
Do you have battery life issues with your IPOD too?
Not me personally, but my roommate has an iPod Mini and only gets like 7 hours out of the thing.

As I said in the thread I linked to, all the comperable Rio players have nearly double the battery life. The Rio Carbon has double the battery life and an extra gig of storage. The Rio Forge has ~20 hours of battery life and supports extra memory cards.

I know the iPod arguments have been beaten to death, so I don't want to start another one. I just thought it was downright bizarre that after all the flak Apple took for their battery life on their other two players, they go and release another player, WITH NO SCREEN, that still has a short battery life.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
are there no expansion slots on the shuffle? the wall street journal review glossed over that detail, which i think is huge for a flash-based player. yeah, having no screen is dumb. i'd much rather spend the extra $25 on a rio.

but...this product may appeal to fiscally-tighter parents whose kids are hounding for them for an ipod, just because all their friends have one.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
but...this product may appeal to fiscally-tighter parents whose kids are hounding for them for an ipod, just because all their friends have one.
Well.. On the plus side, the price point is pretty good. I, too, would fork out a little more cash for, say, the Rio, but if budget is the bottom line, it's a good price.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I know we've been on this a million times but what has everybody heard about the Dell Jukebox?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The shuffle would be ther perfect thing for running. I'm getting one. Don't need to be messing with a screen on a long run. Smaller, lighter, simpler = better.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Ridemonkey said:
The shuffle would be ther perfect thing for running. I'm getting one. Don't need to be messing with a screen on a long run. Smaller, lighter, simpler = better.
but how does this beat the competition? because it's $20 cheaper?

plus you have to charge it via USB or an optional charger. the triple A batteries of the Cali are not a nuisance in any case. oops, it looks like it's got an optional AAA battery pack. but still no memory card expansion slot.

meh.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
syncs with itunes. (rio does this too.) plays aac files from iTMS. (rio doesn't.) Autofill, which seems like a useful bit on such limited capacity devices. $99 for 512 MB is a good price point. finally, apple has good customer care, unlike, say, iRiver. no experience with Rio.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
binary visions said:
Not me personally, but my roommate has an iPod Mini and only gets like 7 hours out of the thing.

Dang! I thought I was the only one that had a battery issue with my mini! I have to charge it about 3 times a week, from only using it about 1.5 hours a day at the gym :mumble:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
narlus said:

plus you have to charge it via USB or an optional charger. the triple A batteries of the Cali are not a nuisance in any case. oops, it looks like it's got an optional AAA battery pack. but still no memory card expansion slot.

meh.
I'm looking at the specs:
Rio Cali 256M for suggested $149
iPod Shuffle 1G for suggested $149

And look at the physical sizes - no comparison.

Why would the teeny, tiny shuffle need an expansion slot with 4 times the capacity? I know which one I'm getting.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
that stated MSRP on the cali is old...you can get it for cheaper, close to $100. since the shuffle just came out, discounting is unlikely for a while. i just got another 512MB card for about $30 so, the price difference for storage is pretty close. after you have yr mp3 player for a while, see if you wished you had more memory. then again, i'm one of those who never listens to the radio (ie, constricted playlist content) and constantly swaps music.

as for the size, you can stuff the rio into a shirt pocket, hold it in yr hand, or use the supplied clip for stowage. it doesn't come w/ a cute lanyard, i will give you that.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Flash players have been around since mp3 players were invented for the commerical market by Rio in the 90s. Apple is a clueless newbie with a pitiful first generation attempt. The only reason it could succeed is brand name/marketing.

Here is a few available now: http://www.supermediastore.com/pendrivemulti.html

or

Transcend Sea Blue JetFlash MP3 Player -RETAIL
$145 (WOW, HAS A SCREEN!!!) (512MB for $106, 256MB for $79.99)

Model# TS1GJF-MP3
Item # N82E16855159004

Specifications:
Color: Sea Blue
Capacity: 1GB
Interface: USB 2.0
Record Format: ADPCM (WAV)
Max Speed: Read 3.2 MB/sec, Write 2.8 MB/sec
File Support: MP3 & WMA Audio Playback
Battery Life: 15-hour continuous playback with AAA battery
Other Features: FM Tuner, Digital Voice Recorder.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=55-159-004&ATT=Portable+MP3+MPEG+Au&CMP=OTC-17exta6

Review: http://www.bigbruin.org/reviews/jetflashmp3/

Some of the best players right now on the market are coming out of Cowon(Jetaudio, not related to the transcend player above though)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
that apple one rocks just because you don't need ANOTHER cord for charing or files swapping.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Damn kids with their fancy boxes playing crappy music. What ever happened to just whistlin' or playing a kazoo?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
Damn kids with their fancy boxes playing crappy music. What ever happened to just whistlin' or playing a kazoo?
I think the introduction of the Harmonica was the begining of the end.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
stosh said:
that apple one rocks just because you don't need ANOTHER cord for charing or files swapping.
Which has been available in other flash players for years - its not a new concept - just have a look at newegg and there are dozens of brands that do that...

One of the older and most popular flash players does that - the Creative Labs Nomad Muvo TX is the current shipping version

$120 for 512MB

Creative Labs Nomad Muvo TX FM 512MB Portable MP3 Player -RETAIL

Model# Muvo TX FM 512MB
Item # N82E16855102134
MuVo® TX is an Ultra-light MP3 Player with FM Radio, Voice Recorder and Super Fast USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Digital Music Made Simple!.
Specifications:
Capacity: 512MB
Radio Support:plays and records FM Radio
Frequency: 20Hz-20kHz
Other Features:512MB holds up to Up to 15hrs of MP3 music, USB flash drive and digital audio player - no cables or software needed, Built-in FM radio and recorder,
Retail box

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
syadasti said:
Which has been available in other flash players for years - its not a new concept - just have a look at newegg and there are dozens of brands that do that...

One of the older and most popular flash players does that - the Creative Labs Nomad Muvo TX is the current shipping version

$120 for 512MB

Model# Muvo TX FM 512MB
Item # N82E16855102134
MuVo® TX is an Ultra-light MP3 Player with FM Radio, Voice Recorder and Super Fast USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Digital Music Made Simple!.
Specifications:
Other Features:512MB holds up to Up to 15hrs of MP3 music, USB flash drive and digital audio player - no cables or software needed, Built-in FM radio and recorder,
Retail box
yeah the problem with the apple is the 240 songs with NO screen that could suck.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
syadasti said:

$120 for 512MB

Model# Muvo TX FM 512MB
Item # N82E16855102134
Specifications:
Retail box
that one is kinda nice!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i kinda dig the Shuffle, except for the fact that it shuffles. i dig the simplicity, non-flashyness of it the most.

oh man, just read that you can keep it from shuffling. niiiiice. i'm back on the Shuffle bandwagon.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Check this out - pay me $50 and I'll do the upgrade for any of the iPod owners out there wanting the latest technology:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
the Inbred said:
i kinda dig the Shuffle, except for the fact that it shuffles. i dig the simplicity, non-flashyness of it the most.

oh man, just read that you can keep it from shuffling. niiiiice. i'm back on the Shuffle bandwagon.
Almost all players have shuffle/random play modes...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
syadasti said:
Almost all players have shuffle/random play modes...
i know, and i never use it...truck, portable cd player, computer, home system. never use random. that's why i didn't like the Shuffle, i thought that's all it did.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
narlus said:
that stated MSRP on the cali is old...you can get it for cheaper, close to $100. since the shuffle just came out, discounting is unlikely for a while. i just got another 512MB card for about $30 so, the price difference for storage is pretty close. after you have yr mp3 player for a while, see if you wished you had more memory.
Then Rio needs to update their site.

As far as capacity, I have over 400 CDs and am always buying more, they'll never all end up in MP3 format, I just won't invest the time. Something like the shuffle or Rio would serve a limited function in my music setup. If I wanted mega capacity I'd go for a 60G model, so the expansion thing isn't a big deal to me.

I'm not saying apple is the shiznit, but all things considered, the shuffle is still looking like a better deal for my purposes than the Cali.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
riderx said:
As far as capacity, I have over 400 CDs and am always buying more, they'll never all end up in MP3 format, I just won't invest the time.
that's what i've been doing fullstop since i got my 300GB hard drive back in sept...i've got about 200GB filled (not sure but i think it's over 3000 cds at this point). soon i'll have most of the stuff i care about (non-vinyl) on the drive, and mega-tune library at my disposal.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
It looks cool, and i want one for running and biking ect. However the fact that it charges through your USB port is retarded. The entire thing is like a slightly modified memory stick with a crappy battery.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
riderx said:
I'm not saying apple is the shiznit, but all things considered, the shuffle is still looking like a better deal for my purposes than the Cali.
Rio and apple aren't the only flash player vendors on the market. Probably one of the best ones out there right now comes from Jetaudio...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Here is one for Apple Fanboys - who makes your products - the same top Taiwanese companies that do a majority of their business in PC Parts (Asus is one of the top PC motherboard makers, Quanta makes IBM and Dell notebooks, among its 30 other notebook brands it OEMs for):

http://digitimes.com/systems/a20050114A7040.html

Taiwan contract manufacturers for Apple

Product

Contract maker

Estimated shipment volumes for 2005

Delivery date

iPod shuffle

Asustek

400k-500k/month

Available now

iPod/iPod Photo/iPod Mini

Inventec Appliances

Combined shipments of the three items totaled over 10 million units in 2004 and are expected to increase substantially in 2005.

iBook/iBook G5

Asustek

1.3-1.5 million/year (combined shipments of the two series)

iBook G5 to start shipping in 2Q 2005

PowerBook G5

Quanta Computer

30k-50k/month

2Q 2005

Mac mini

Foxconn

>100k/month

Available Jan 22

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
^^Oh yeah^^

Apple is going to be pissed, those vendors just let everyone know when their future G5 notebook products are coming and they just sued rumors sites for releasing info on the ipod shuffle and mac mini only slightly ahead of schedule. Haha