Quantcast

Apple's New iMac Computer Is All Display

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Apple's New iMac Computer Is All Display
Reuters | Aug 31 | Astrid Wendlandt

PARIS (Reuters) - Apple Computer unveiled, after a two-month delay, its new iMac desktop computer on Tuesday which integrates disk drives and processors into a flat display less than two inches thick.

"Now we have the world's thinnest desktop computer," Phil Schiller, head of worldwide product marketing, said in a keynote presentation at the annual Apple Expo in Paris.

Shipping from mid-September, Apple said the computer would be available in versions with a 17-inch and a 20-inch display, with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Apple said in July the launch of the new iMac would be delayed until September. It put a dent in the share price of the company which has been at the forefront of computer innovation for decades, but whose global market share has eroded to less than 5 percent amid competition from lower priced PCs running on the Windows operating system from Microsoft.

Retail prices of the new iMac will start at $1,299 for the 17-inch model, or 1,399 euros in Europe. The more expensive and slightly thicker 20-inch model will cost $1,899, or 2,049 euros.

"This is a much more affordable line (of personal computers)," Schiller told a cheering audience of Macintosh users.

The model will take over from the current iMac, which created a buzz when launched a few years ago with its minimalist design featuring a thin display perched on a stainless steel pole above a white hemispherical base.

IMAC NEEDED A BOOST

Sales of the iMac have slowed in recent quarters, however, while Apple's portable notebook computers were doing well.

"7.5 million iMacs have been sold over the last six years. It's time for an entirely new iMac," Schiller said.

The new model, designed by the same team that developed the iPod portable music player, works on G5 microprocessors.

With the iPod, Apple broke into the consumer electronics market and has come to dominate the portable music segment where it claims 58 percent of the U.S. market for MP3 players.

Schiller also drew attention to Apple's newly developed business of selling songs online through its iTunes Music Store. Stores that were opened to German, French and British customers 10 weeks ago have already sold 5 million tracks, he said.

"Other iTunes stores will open across Europe in October," Schiller said, giving no further details.

Worldwide, Apple has sold more than 4 million iPods and sold more than 100 million songs in the United States since it was launched in April last year.

The success of iPod and iTunes, by far the most popular online music store, has pushed up Apple shares from a six-year low of $12.92 in April 2003 to over $35 this week.

Schiller reiterated that 49-year old Chief Executive Steve Jobs, who in the late 1990s came back to rescue the company which he had founded, was making a good recovery from cancer surgery. "He's doing great. We really look forward to Steve coming back to work in September," Schiller said.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm not sure that I am impressed. The last model had such great screen adjustment - it was a great design even if some criticized the way it looked. I'm also tired of white. How about a G5 grey option?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i don't really like it either. the key test is whether it sells well for christmas tho...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Cramming that much hardware into that little of a space. I wonder what kind of heat and failure issues they will have. And yeah, that is expensive for a computer.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Ciaran said:
Cramming that much hardware into that little of a space. I wonder what kind of heat and failure issues they will have. And yeah, that is expensive for a computer.

Kind of like any rack mounted server?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah, except Apple won't be able to get away with the type of jet-turbine type cooling fans they put in those machines........... those things are fuggin' noisy.

-S.S.-
xserves are noisy, yes. but the environment of an xserve and an imac are very different: horizontal vs. vertical, surrounded by other hot servers vs. in open air on an ikea desk. given that the imac dv didn't have a fan whatsoever since apple took advantage of the amazing fact that heat rises (through clever stacking of components + vents on the top) i have no doubts that apple has pulled off this design.

it's still ugly tho.

vondur

Chimp
Jan 7, 2004
So CAl
It's not that bad a price for the computer your are getting. While I don't personally like the all in one concept for a desktop machine, the new iMac is a pretty decent deal. The flat panels on each are of the wide screen variety which allow you to have more on your screen at the same time. If you were to price a PC with the equivalent specs (wide screen flat panel, decent video card, Firewire. etc..) you come out at similar prices. But you Apple really needs to produce a headless iMac box at around the $600 to $700 range to really bring in new customers. For those of you that have never used OSX, it really is the best desktop operating system available. It is super stable, fairly secure out of the box, and multitasks much better than a Windows system. (unless you play lots of videos games on your computer, not too many games for the mac)

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
That's way too expensive (for me anyway), when I could get a nice Dell with a monitor for less than that, although I would rather have a PC even at the same price.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Tully said:
That's way too expensive (for me anyway), when I could get a nice Dell with a monitor for less than that, although I would rather have a PC even at the same price.
Actually, a Dell with a 17 inch flat screen starts at about the same price.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ciaran said:
Uh... Laptops are much smaller than that.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Ridemonkey said:
Kind of like any rack mounted server?

Servers are generally in a climate controlled (cold) room. So your point is moot.

Yes laptops are smaller. This point is valid.
Sounds like there are a bunch of Mac users here. Say something negative about a mac and the mac user will start puffing up like a peacock. :D

It was just a question and an observation. No need to lynch me. :dead:

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Ciaran said:
Yes laptops are smaller. This point is valid.
Sounds like there are a bunch of Mac users here. Say something negative about a mac and the mac user will start puffing up like a peacock. :D

It was just a question and an observation. No need to lynch me. :dead:
I'm all for discussing the pros and cons of different systems. Problem is that most people just post misinformation and opinions that are not based on experience.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ciaran said:
<snip>
I think Mac users generally buy a Mac for their specific strengths, not just to have a Mac. To buy a Mac to surf the internet, read email, and do word processing is retarded. ;)

-S.S.-

vondur

Chimp
Jan 7, 2004
So CAl
SkaredShtles said:
I think Mac users generally buy a Mac for their specific strengths, not just to have a Mac. To buy a Mac to surf the internet, read email, and do word processing is retarded. ;)

-S.S.-
I guess after working on so many spyware/virus infected Windows machines for people, I could say thing about people using Windows machines.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Ridemonkey said:
I'm all for discussing the pros and cons of different systems. Problem is that most people just post misinformation and opinions that are not based on experience.
I agree. There is indeed a ton of misinformation out there. It could take many threads to fully discuss the pros and cons of each system. In the end though they are both computers and each do their particular job in their own way.

I did find it interisting that Pixar, who's CEO is Steve Jobs, untill recently did not use apple computers. They don't use WINTEL based computers either. They are (or at least WERE a few months ago) using SUN servers with Unix/Linux for rendering (along with their Renderman software, which is made in house), and I think it was intel/PC based stuff running Linux for their workstations. Now they have started switching over to Macs for their workstations. This makes me wonder how much more powerful the new Macs are when it comes to graphics processing.

Of course I have very little experience with Macs and so have nothing to compare with. Though I do think that their monitors are darn sexy. Can any of you Mac users comment on the Macs capabilities with graphics?

Ok.. go ahead and lynch me now. :help:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
macs have long been the standard photoshop platform. part of this is familiarity, of course -- even tho palettes are the same, the menus not being at the top of the screen is annoying, plus having the whole application have to be a window, as opposed to having palettes + menu bar + open files float above everything else. another thing that bugs me about the windows photoshop experience: open/save dialog boxes. yuck.

of course quite a few tests have shown that top of the line pcs are faster at running many filters, apple's own demonstrations aside. on the other hand, you won't find any truly laggard macs -- no "intel extreme graphics" in the apple world. :dead: from having spent a great many hours in photoshop on my macs (for myself) and on well spec-ed pcs (for my last job) i can confidently say that i'm more productive on the mac.

oh yeah, and the monitors are very sexy, yesssss....

(it's a bit of an old image, as i sold one of the 17"s this past winter and definitely don't use that cell phone any more :D)

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Form SHOULD follow function. I'd love to see the average yuk go into that thing to pop in a replacement or just "go lookin around"

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
vondur said:
I guess after working on so many spyware/virus infected Windows machines for people, I could say thing about people using Windows machines.

Keep in mind that the MAIN reason that macs have not been the target of viral attack is that they account for 4 or 6 percent of the computer sales in the world... Not a very fun target. If they keep making such pretty computers and mpg players that look like a piece of my GF's makeup maybe that will change someday......te he..te he...... :blah:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Ridemonkey said:
Actually, a Dell with a 17 inch flat screen starts at about the same price.
Their pricing seems kinda whacked. $1899 US is like 1550 Euros, not 2049. I wonder if they got that backwards.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Hmm, the 20" is 1899 Euros or about $2300

You can get a much better PC with a solid 3 year service contract, here is what I could get under my Dell Account:

Base Unit:
OptiPlex 3.20GHz Pentium 4,512K Cache,800 FrontSide Bus

Memory:
1024MB, Non-ECC, 333MHz DDR 2x512

Keyboard:
Dell PS/2 Keyboard in Gray,No Hot Keys

Monitor:
Dell FP2001 20.1" LCD, OptiPlex

Video Card:
ATI Radeon X300 SE PCIe x16 64MB graphics card,GX260/GX270

Hard Drive:
160GB SATA 7200RPM 8MB

Floppy Disk Drive:
3.5 inch, 1.44MB, Floppy

Operating System:
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1,NTFS,with MediaDell OptiPlex,English,Factory Install (420-2119)

Mouse:
Dell USB 2-Button Optical Mouse with Scroll

NIC:
Integrated Intel 10/100Mb LOM w/ remote wake-up (430-0554)

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive:
16X DVD+RW/+R w/ Sonic RecordNow! Deluxe plus, CyberLink PowerDVD

Sound Card:
Integrated Sound Blaster Compatible AC97

Speakers:
Internal Chassis Speaker Option

Bundled Software:
Readyware Installation Fee (365-1234)

Bundled Software:
Adobe Acrobat 6 Standard Rtl Package, English, CD W/Docs, Factory Installed, Bundle w/Office (410-0166)

Bundled Software:
Microsoft Office 2003 Small Business Edition for OptiPlex English (412-0486)

Service:
Type 3 Contract - Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response, 2YR Extended (970-9772)

Service:
Type 3 Contract - Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response, Initial Year (902-4780)

Service:
Gold Technical Support ServiceOptiplex, 3 Years, 1-866-876-3355 (DELL) (950-4909)

Service:
GTS,Personal Systems,TechnicalSupport Letter (461-3749)

Service:
$50 MAIL-IN REBATE 49308 (980-5988)

Installation:
Standard On-Site Installation Declined (900-9987)

Misc:
Readyware Installation Fee (365-1234)

Misc:
Mouse Pad (310-3559)

Total Before Rebate: $2310, After $2260
BTW, the LCD panel is made by the same OEM, only this comes in a better package than either the new LCDs from Apple or this Integrated crap - has height AND tilt adjustment for ergonomic perfection, looks better, more work space at 1600x1200 instead of trendy widescreen crap that cuts off 200 pixels), dual input for usage w/2 different sources, and a USB 2.0 hub:

Utilizing an Active Matrix TFT LCD, the Dell&#8482; UltraSharp&#8482; 2001FP Flat Panel Monitor displays sharp and brilliant images of text and graphics with a maximum resolution of up to 1600x1200 pixels. While its higher contrast ratio generates sharper, crisper lines and images, the wider viewing angle allows you to view the screen from various positions without compromising image quality. The Dell&#8482; 2001FP features analog as well as digital (DVI) capabilities, providing connection flexibility. Apart from one upstream and 4 downstream USB ports, this display also features S-Video and Composite Video connectors. The slim bezel design of the monitor saves valuable work space. The combination of advanced LCD technology and the range of added features makes the UltraSharp&#8482; 2001FP the perfect display for any user.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Final Cut Pro runs on Macs. I prefered editing video on the Mac's when I was a student, but my P4 running Premiere does the same stuff, and I own it. When I replace it, the Mac's will get my full attention, and it will come down to money. Which is just the way it goes sometimes.

Does the new Mac come with a DVD burner?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the $1499 (17 inch) and $1899 (20 inch -- yes, that's USD, check for yourself at the apple store) models come with superdrives, yes, so they can burn dvd-r.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ok, you can still do better easily:
Polywell 900VF
Athlon64 MB w/1394,SATA-RAID,LAN,5.1A;
Processor:AMD Athlon64 Processor 2800 (64bit 1.8GHz) 512K;
Memory: DDR 400MHz 512MB PC3200 Memory Unbuffered (1 DIMM);
Chassis:Platinum 10Bay Aluminum MidTower w/400W Quiet PS;
HardDrive:Hitachi 160GB EIDE 8M Cache 7200RPM HD;
Floppy Drive:1.44MB Floppy Drive (Silver);
I/O Device or Interf:On-board 1394 Firewire Ports;
Keyboard:Wireless Keyboard+Optic Mouse Silver-Black PS/2;
DVD-R Rewriteable:Sony 8x DVD+/-R/RW 40x CD-R/RW IDE Burner (OEM);
Audio Sound:On-board Standard PCI Audio Sound;
Speaker:Subwoofer Speakers Sound System (Black) 3pcs;
Graphics:Nvidia GeForceFX 5200 128M 8X DVI+VGA+TVout;
Network Adapter:On-Board 10/100Mbit Ethernet;
Operating System:SuSE 64-bit Linux Media CD
Optional Support:1Yr IAI 24hr ThirdParty Tel Support;
$973

Dell&#8482; UltraSharp&#8482; 2001FP $899

$1857 Total

Hardware Advantages:
- Faster/More advanced CPU
- Faster FSB (1600MHz vs. 600 MHz)
- Twice as much System RAM
- Twice as much Video RAM
- Better DVD Burner - more formats and faster
- Easy to/More upgradable
- Slightly Higher Resolution (1600x1200 vs. 1680x1050)
- More Ergonomic Monitor (height and tilt adjustment)
- Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think the problem here lies in the fact that there are basically a bunch of geeks running around this place. Okay, so there are lots of different levels of being a geek and some people may have little to no computer hardware knowledge, but the fact is we choose to discuss mountain bikes (and everything else) in an internet forum.

Yep, that means you are, to some extent, a geek.

So things like upgradeability come into play. Questions about cost vs. building your system online at dell.com. Things that the average person doesn't do and doesn't even consider.

Apple makes a great looking package in their computers. This is no exception - I can see the appeal to homes/families. Wireless mouse and keyboard? You mean we don't even have to deal with choosing it as an upgrade? Just a power cord into the back of the monitor and nothing else? Sounds great.

Myself, I think the price is unreasonable and the packaging is rediculous. I like to be able to work on and upgrade my hardware, thank you. For two grand, I'd rather drop a thousand dollars on a desktop, buy a $200 CRT, and spend the rest on something else. That's just me, though, and I know that I'm a geek.

Good for Apple, though, I think this could be a good seller. The iMacs were horrible computers but sold very well, and they served their purpose for their target audience.