Quantcast

Aptos PostOffice Jam

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
A local bike rider and organizer of bike events and comps, Jesse Nickell is looking to put together a Jump Jam at the Post Office Jumps. Jesse helped organize a deal so that the bikers could extend their lease of the land that Post Office is built on and helped to plan and build the FunSpot park in SC and put on the comp there last spring. Anyways this comp/jam at Post office would be amateur only, with a pro jump jam to follow after. He's looking to have this in September or October. We don't really know what shape the jumps are in but we imagine that they have probably beat over the summer. So Jesse needs help to put on this comp with multiple things. He needs help setting up things before and taking down after and help with working on the jumps prior to the comp. So if you would be at all be interested in helping or competing then send me a message on here and I will give you his email address so you can contact him and let him know who you are and that you would like to help. Remember that this can't happen without your help. And also keep in mind if you go to high school, this can be counted towards community service hours. Pretty easy and cool way to get your hours I would say.
Here is what we need:
We need help on many levels i.e.: graphics for poster, video for a documentation film (behind the scenes to the event), web page or something, looking for sponsors, swag and prizes, judges, jump building, score keeping, collecting the entry fees, set up scaffolding & pop-ups just a start of help items. This will be grass roots and all volunteering. It will be a low cost event for Free style Jumping amateurs with an open free style with the local pros jump jam at the end of the day. This event is a non profit and a show case for West Coast Jumpers. We will need sponsors and a local shop. Please respond if you want to help, we will be setting up a meeting soon.
Where:
the world famous Post Office jumps, Aptos, California. to get technical, across from 500 Cathedral, Aptos, CA 95003
When:
Late September, early October
Who:
Local upcoming kids with some pros mixed in
Why:
We have to get tons of people to show so that the City of Aptos realizes that this spot is legendary and so they don't plow it next year.

Any help would be great. The last event Jesse organized went off the hook and we are hoping that this one will be double in size. If you can't help, then please show your support and try to make it out there. Dates will be posted as long with more info.

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
Find some local bands off of Myspace and have them play there. That would bring people in, too.
We're kinda doing the same thing here, in Ladysmith, for our new Skatepark fund-raiser.
If you get some prizes- sell raffle tickets.You can make t-shirts, set up a root beer float stand to earn some money. This is what we have done so far and have gotten a lot of money saved up.
I lived near the area I would love to help out. Maybe I'll design a poster or something for you guys. Hope the turn out is huge!

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
I just rode the jumps yesterday. The jumps are in pretty good shape themselves. The roll-in though is a mess. We need hoses to bring in LARGE amounts of water to eventually turn the dust into hardpack. If Jesse can get permission to tap into the Antique Shop's water supply legitimately (not just stealing it when they aren't looking) then this would be the biggest help to the jumps. Simple as that.

Let him know that I am down to work on the jumps quite a bit as long as we have a solid water supply. I live 1 mile from the jumps so it is easy for me to get there and put in work

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
I just rode the jumps yesterday. The jumps are in pretty good shape themselves. The roll-in though is a mess. We need hoses to bring in LARGE amounts of water to eventually turn the dust into hardpack. If Jesse can get permission to tap into the Antique Shop's water supply legitimately (not just stealing it when they aren't looking) then this would be the biggest help to the jumps. Simple as that.

Let him know that I am down to work on the jumps quite a bit as long as we have a solid water supply. I live 1 mile from the jumps so it is easy for me to get there and put in work
haha yeah i heard the hose caught on fire when some d-bags or bums lit the couches on fire.
Jesse is working out the water. I think he said his dads company owns the land that PO sits on and the antique shop so they might be able to get some water from there.
I am going to keep this thread updated as much as possible as details come in

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
Greg Watts, Jamie Golden, Tyler Mc Caul, Ryan Howard, Alex Reveles and Cam Mc Caul (Event MC)will be judging. Fixing Post Office with Goldman's tractor soon.

Last edited:

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
Complete prizes from sponsors are:

Santa Cruz Bikes
2- Jackal frames (SRP $1,100 total)
30- T Shirts (SRP $480 total)
10 - Hats (SRP $200 total)
10 - Hoodies (SRP $400)

Specialized
1- 09 P3 complete Bike
1- 09 P3 frame.
misc tires and pedals

Park Tools

1- Pro tool box set

Black market bikes

1- Riot Frame
1- bars
1- stem
1-seat post
1-seat

Bicycle trip
Misc bike accessories

X-fusion
1 velvet "R" fork

Fox
1 fork

Giro helmets
6-dirt jump helmets (3 medium, 3 small),
6- pairs of their instigator sunglasses in black (the cool casual style
glasses),
12- t-shirts (6 large, 6 medium)

Product from the Red Bull Girls

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
So the jam went down today. I will post pictures and results as soon as I get them.
Tons of people showed and tons of great prizes were given out.

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
Partial Results:

Junior X

1st-Jesse Nickell
2nd-Guy French
3rd-Mike Honeish
4th-Christan Wright
5th-Daniel Burkhartsmayer

Men open