Quantcast

Architecture?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Who here likes architecture. My mom just got back from the AIA meeting in Las Vegas and the awards were pretty cool. The seatttle central library looks pretty cool (Rem Koolhaus) but my favorite is this: :drool:

too bad its not concrete, I live like 25 minutes from 2 of Louis Kahn's buildings at Yale. They are trully awesome.

And while im at it ill post a picture of possibly the best building in the world...

Form concrete... :drool: :drool: :drool: sexxxy

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
stinkyboy said:
Killer. I saw the Seattle library in Dwell and it rocks!

Seattle has lots of great buildings.

Its not strange to like buildings. Great buildings are awesome, much better than the art most of them hold. :rolleyes: At least, the Guggenheim was much cooler than the motorcycles and other traveling exhibts it holds.

There is a really good article (cover page) in the New York Times magazine about modernism... pick it up. Its a great magazine with excellent writing, if you dont have it you probably should get it. :thumb:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
lovebunny said:
sarcasm doesnt come across on web boards well

Oh, it does pretty well. you just need to use the smileys. this has come to be the accepted form of a bland sarcastic tone. :oink:

J

JRB

lovebunny said:
you are one stange mofo
yup = but it's got nothing to so with buildings.

*I can't believe that mack can spell architecture.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
THats crazy. I like architecture. I lived in LA for like 12 yrs. I have always liked the library tower, it is simple, but it looks cool. In downtown la, another building I like is right next to the freeway; I forgot what its called. It is white granite. My dad worked in it. In down town la, the music place (I don't remember what its called either) is really cool. It has big pieces of film on it and it is fairly new. Its some metal.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
FYI There is a set of Stamps coming out with famous architects on it.

That building the last building that Mackie has show is the government building in Bangladesh it was designed by Louis Kahn and he died before it was completed, it's actually on thier money!
I've been dying to get to see the louis Kahns buildings at Yale, Mackie how far are you from Manchest NH? You should go to the Exeter Library (about 30min from Manchester).

You guys familiar with Zaha Hadid (sp?)

I've always loved how she turns the concrete of the sidewalk up and into the building

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
stosh said:
It's not supposed to look warm and cozy.

I always loved uses like this
First and third pics look like Green & Green stuff... although I've never seen that style combined with concrete before... The side table is cool, though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ian F said:
First and third pics look like Green & Green stuff... although I've never seen that style combined with concrete before... The side table is cool, though.
It's a local guy around here. He uses local stone as the aggrigate too. It's pretty neat stuff! Even though I'm sure some of the pieces weigh a ton he in some way almost makes the concrete look light as in pic 1 & 3.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
I love modern homes and if my wife and I become divorced ,I will build me a studio above my garage and demo my house and build a sweet concrete glass palace ( about 2500 sqft ) out in the forest :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
shocktower said:
I love modern homes and if my wife and I become divorced ,I will build me a studio above my garage and demo my house and build a sweet concrete glass palace ( about 2500 sqft ) out in the forest :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
Thats interesting.......

any ideas of what you like?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
stosh said:
It's a local guy around here. He uses local stone as the aggrigate too. It's pretty neat stuff! Even though I'm sure some of the pieces weigh a ton he in some way almost makes the concrete look light as in pic 1 & 3.
Yeah, that is some pretty cool stuff. IN the past few years, I've really gotten into custom furniture... I'm collecting equipment for a home woodshop. :sneaky:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ian F said:
Yeah, that is some pretty cool stuff. IN the past few years, I've really gotten into custom furniture... I'm collecting equipment for a home woodshop. :sneaky:
Yeah I wish I had the time and $ for that!!!

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
stosh said:
Yeah I wish I had the time and $ for that!!!
No kidding... I have enough tools that I could build some stuff... I really want/need a band saw though... even then, auto-wrenching has pretty much used up a lot of my "play-money" for some time. I've bought a lot of car tools over the past few years... hence why my newest bike is from 1998... :rolleyes:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ian F said:
No kidding... I have enough tools that I could build some stuff... I really want/need a band saw though... even then, auto-wrenching has pretty much used up a lot of my "play-money" for some time. I've bought a lot of car tools over the past few years... hence why my newest bike is from 1998... :rolleyes:
you gonna be up this way at all this year?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
stosh said:
you gonna be up this way at all this year?
I'm hoping to watch the US Open this Sunday. Otherwise... ??? dunno... I'd like to get to Plattekill once this year to ride... and there's a MINI (car club) gathering at Ringwood in a few weeks... I may go up seperately and do an XC ride. I haven' ridden at Ringwood since racing XC there in... late '96?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ian F said:
I'm hoping to watch the US Open this Sunday. Otherwise... ??? dunno... I'd like to get to Plattekill once this year to ride... and there's a MINI (car club) gathering at Ringwood in a few weeks... I may go up seperately and do an XC ride. I haven' ridden at Ringwood since racing XC there in... late '96?
There should be a bunch of monkies at The Open, I'm going weather permitting.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stosh said:
When you gonna offer me a job to come and design houses for you....?

I donno... I have one right now that I am trying to get finished for the Parade of Homes on 4 June... don't know if I am going to make it though.

The exterior is Old World and the interior has 8' doors.

I have a mod furniture company who is going to put some cool mod stuff in it and my AV guy is going to install a 58" DLP tv and a new Yamaha YSP1 virtual surround sound speaker bank in it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
I donno... I have one right now that I am trying to get finished for the Parade of Homes on 4 June... don't know if I am going to make it though.

The exterior is Old World and the interior has 8' doors.

I have a mod furniture company who is going to put some cool mod stuff in it and my AV guy is going to install a 58" DLP tv and a new Yamaha YSP1 virtual surround sound speaker bank in it.
pics?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
manziman said:
Speaking of ugly libraries..
i actually wanted to go to ucsd because i thought the library was cool. uh, and the beach, too. :D

here are some building type things i like:

tokyo tower:

atomic bomb museum in nagasaki iirc:

memorial church, harvard yard:

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
stosh said:
You guys familiar with Zaha Hadid (sp?)

I met Zaha Hadid at the opening of the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center.

:D

I volunteered to help with the opening, and ended up smack dab in the middle of everything.

Volunteering's cool.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
What do y'all think of the new Denver Art Museum? They say it will be will be clad in more than 230,000 square feet of titanium. Here's an artists rendering of the final building:

Here's a photo of where its at right now:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MudGrrl said:
I met Zaha Hadid at the opening of the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center.

:D

I volunteered to help with the opening, and ended up smack dab in the middle of everything.

Volunteering's cool.
I am now fairly jealous of you.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
pixelninja said:
What do y'all think of the new Denver Art Museum? They say it will be will be clad in more than 230,000 square feet of titanium. Here's an artists rendering of the final building:

Here's a photo of where its at right now:

WHo's the architect?

Looks Like a Gerry building but it's not fluid enough.