Quantcast

Are 29er's good for technical riding?

FooserX

Chimp
Feb 20, 2009
I used to ride a rigid cannondale that I loved because it was super light and I could climb like a mofo, but I converted it to a road bike...and now I'm looking to buy a hardtail.

I was looking at something for $600 - $800...and rode a decent Ironhorse at Performance bikes which I liked. Then I went to ride a Specialized Rockhopper 29er at Bicycle villiage for $850. Immediately it felt awesome!! Huge difference!

I'm not an expert MTB'er...kinda just singletrack I guess...but occasionally I would do some harder technical stuff. Will I still be able to ride it with a 29er without much of a problem?

I am reading that 29er's are harder to do that type of thing because of the big wheels, but since I probably don't be doing a ton of it, I didn't know if it would still be worth it to get a 29er.

Thanks for any input!

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Depends a lot on the rider, frame geometry, suspension and tire selection. I think the 3 I have owned have done quite well for techie riding - up and down.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I find that the big bike slows me down, when I try to ride it like my trials bike. The big wheels roll over things easier, and since it's a rigid, I can hop over single logs/rocks with ease. it's when I have to do tighter switchbacks that I need to slow down a bit. This will get better when I go with some lighter parts of course, or went with a tighter geo custom frame.

I think the smartest choice you could make, or may have already, is to go with the "real" bike from the real shop. Not Nashformance. Go to a shop where the staff rides the bikes they sell. Everyone at my shop is on a 29er, we will always have a selection of tires, tubes, and 29er specific components. This can be an important part of the process.

BUMP

Chimp
Mar 19, 2008
North-West Jersey
it depends on the bike, and geometry. some drag alot, but some, like the gary fishers, are superfast. my boss has a ferrous ss that handles exellently and the superflies are awsome too. both are at a higher price point, but fisher makes some more entry level ones that are available for around that price. if you have trek dealer around you check them out their some of the best large scale production 29ers around.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
The only difference that i have seen is on switchbacks.. you just have to tackle them differently.. i wouldnt say they are harder to ride with a 29'er just different.. otherwise everything else is close.. but keep in mind.. that also depends on the rider, bike etc.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
i agree w/ hooples in that switchbacks are def more difficult and have to be re-thought on how to attack.

I've noticed that in the slow speed tech moves the larger wheels are harder to move around but they are so much more stable and roll better so chances are you can charge an obstacle and clean w/ ease.

FooserX

Chimp
Feb 20, 2009
Welle my LBS had a Cannondale Caffeine 4 29er for $899 and it felt awesome to ride...so I picked it up and can't wait to ride the mountains.

It felt great...and the LBS said it looked good...but I'm kinda rethinking my size since I read that the standover height should be 2 inches at least, and I'm right about that if less. I'm 6'2", 210...and got an XL. I don't want to ride it too much that I can't take it back, but that's the only real way to know if it is the best fit.

Thanks for the tips. I agree that switchbacks will be tough...I wasn't great at them with a 26er!

X

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I think the smartest choice you could make, or may have already, is to go with the "real" bike from the real shop. Not Nashformance. Go to a shop where the staff rides the bikes they sell.
Nice generalization there - NO national shops employ ANYONE who actually rides. :plthumbsdown: Oh, except for the Performance by me, where one of the local pro dh'ers worked for awhile. But I'm sure he was the only one, anywhere... :crazy:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Welle my LBS had a Cannondale Caffeine 4 29er for $899 and it felt awesome to ride...so I picked it up and can't wait to ride the mountains.

It felt great...and the LBS said it looked good...but I'm kinda rethinking my size since I read that the standover height should be 2 inches at least, and I'm right about that if less. I'm 6'2", 210...and got an XL. I don't want to ride it too much that I can't take it back, but that's the only real way to know if it is the best fit.

Thanks for the tips. I agree that switchbacks will be tough...I wasn't great at them with a 26er!

X
Different brands fit differently, of course, but I'm 6'2" as well (34" inseam) and have never liked an XL. IMO, on a bike with bigger wheels, a little extra top tube clearance is needed (which also lends more confidence on technical sections), as they have a higher fulcrum (axles).

Last edited:

FooserX

Chimp
Feb 20, 2009
I rode a little more last night around my parking lot and stairs, and I dunno...I'm sorta re-thinking the 29er purchase. It's a lot of bike! It's fun, but heavy...and I'm thinking I might just try to exchange it for a lighter 26...I like to be nimble.

Hmm...thanks for all your input.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
Nice generalization there - NO national shops employ ANYONE who actually rides. :plthumbsdown: Oh, except for the Performance by me, where one of the local pro dh'ers worked for awhile. But I'm sure he was the only one, anywhere... :crazy:
I'll admit that it might have been exaggerated a little. But going to a shop, no matter what it is called, where the people selling you products actually use them will have a huge benefit. They'll be able to recomend products based on your needs, not what they have on the shelf.

I'm not trying to argue, just trying to clarify what I meant.

dsb1829

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Depends a lot on the rider, frame geometry, suspension and tire selection. I think the 3 I have owned have done quite well for techie riding - up and down.
+1, only I have only owned 2 :pirate2:

Typically the wheelbase is longer, so they aren't quite as snappy around tight switchbacks. Otherwise I see more advantage to 29er than disadvantage. That Specialized looks like a nice ride. I had the 26in version of it 2 years ago and it was a great hard tail, I even podium'd it in one of the local DH series. At any rate, good heritage there on that rockhopper frameset.

Last edited: